Caching maps in DJI GO
2643 13 2017-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
s0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

It is a bit of a bore downloading maps to use later offline when in the field. I need not only to slide around the area on the map, I need to repeat it at different resolutions/'altitudes' to get a full set of maps.

It would be good to have an option in DJI GO / GO 4 to set an area and then with one tap to set off a process of downloading all the maps (hybrid i.e. both satellite and road) at all resolutions for that area. To avoid people trying to download whole coutries or continents (which might annoy your map provider) the area to be downloaded in this way could have a restriction on maximum size.

2017-1-25
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44731 ft
United Kingdom

"To avoid people trying to download whole coutries or continents (which might annoy your map provider) the area to be downloaded in this way could have a restriction on maximum size."

I believe there is already a restriction set by the limitation of cache memory size/allocation. Correct me if I am wrong. It would be great if I could download and cache all of the UK at maximum detail for instance but at the moment I would settle for a one mile radius of where I live if I could get that to cache.
2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Caching one map, should give you all three versions. So no, you don't have to cache all three... ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-1-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-25 20:09
Caching one map, should give you all three versions. So no, you don't have to cache all three... ;-)

Depending on the quality of the internet, the quality may be what's  in question. I've had maps cache, but if I hadn't used that size of the map, it hasn't been the best quality for me as opposed to a size i've let the app sit on for a while.
2017-1-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

So you're asking for a function similar to Google Maps offline mode maps?
2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-25 21:31
Depending on the quality of the internet, the quality may be what's  in question. I've had maps cache, but if I hadn't used that size of the map, it hasn't been the best quality for me as opposed to a size i've let the app sit on for a while.

That's interesting, yet not an issue for me. Wicked Grin

Perhaps I don't spend much time scrutinizing my flight maps.

I just fly, using mostly the camera view, and don't pay much attention to my map view.
Thankfully, I still have the same three map choices from the very beginning, and had never experienced the Here maps that several forum members complained over.
It's still a completely trouble free drone here, simply Marvellous.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-25
Use props
Peo
First Officer
Flight distance : 25409793 ft
Sweden

After all this talk about the wrong RTH, so anyway, I always check that I am right RTH before I start.
So why not?
2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Peo Posted at 2017-1-25 23:13
After all this talk about the wrong RTH, so anyway, I always check that I am right RTH before I start.
So why not?

Are you referring to proper RTH height? I'm not sure what you are getting at?..

Please clarify. Thanks.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-25
Use props
Peo
First Officer
Flight distance : 25409793 ft
Sweden

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-25 23:26
Are you referring to proper RTH height? I'm not sure what you are getting at?..

Please clarify. Thanks.

In "Dji Go 3:12" there is your home point wrong with about 1000 / 1200m.
So if you lose Rc contact, the drone flies to the wrong home point. Hope u get it
2017-1-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Peo Posted at 2017-1-26 00:37
In "Dji Go 3:12" there is your home point wrong with about 1000 / 1200m.
So if you lose Rc contact, the drone flies to the wrong home point. Hope u get it

Yikes, that would be terrible. Or worse. Haha

Why I fly out in the open, away from trouble and worry.

At www.ercha.ca, you can see for miles...

Not sure why all these anomalies continue to be a bother to so many, when the majority of us, have non.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-26
Use props
s0
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-25 21:33
So you're asking for a function similar to Google Maps offline mode maps?

Yes, that's it, including both satellite and road view
2017-1-26
Use props
s0
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The HERE maps app for android (perhaps for ios too, I don't know) offers caching of maps as a feature - can cache whole countries if you want to and have the space and then can use them offline. I think GO has it's own separate cache in a different place in the Android filesystem and perhaps can't access the HERE cache. However this illustrates that HERE are happy for their maps to be cached, removing that as a potential blocker to DJI GO / GO 4 enabling caching in this way for offline use.
2017-1-26
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44731 ft
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-26 00:52
Yikes, that would be terrible. Or worse. Haha

Why I fly out in the open, away from trouble and worry.

Looks a lovely place to fly, beautiful countryside with an active club.

I used to fly RC heli's many years ago - brings back memories of when skill was required to fly! hehe
2017-1-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

PhantomPhil Posted at 2017-1-26 02:50
Looks a lovely place to fly, beautiful countryside with an active club.

I used to fly RC heli's many years ago - brings back memories of when skill was required to fly! hehe

Yes skill. That certainly has a large bearing on whether you fly or crash...

Building an Align TRex 700E DFC HV kit here.  So RealFlight 6.5 is my new best friend. Haha

Very scary, to think of all the dangers associated with a large scale heli'.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules