What the hell just happened.......
3425 61 2017-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vikassi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17516 ft
United States

wow, this is all crazy .. random RTH locations .. its like hide and seek .. I use an iPhone and am fully updated both on the P3S and the Go app.  I flew 4-5 separate flights this past weekend, all in the same day, in the span of 2 hours.  RTH initiated once due to low battery, but it was close, and it landed where it was supposed to.  I didn't know about this issue then and will be much more cautious, diligently, either canceling RTH if its initated or just keeping it close at low battery and manually landing.

Are all the lost drone folks using Android?  Has this happened to anyone using an iPhone?
2017-1-25
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

McCrimmon Posted at 2017-1-25 15:34
Any idea what DJI are doing about this?  Surely this is not right!

Check out the 3.1.2 app reviews on Google play. Lots are giving this psycho app 3 stars while complaining loudly about crashing, video lag, fly aways , bogus home points, etc, etc.   
2017-1-25
Use props
DJ Nee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84610 ft
Australia

Vikassi Posted at 2017-1-25 20:54
wow, this is all crazy .. random RTH locations .. its like hide and seek .. I use an iPhone and am fully updated both on the P3S and the Go app.  I flew 4-5 separate flights this past weekend, all in the same day, in the span of 2 hours.  RTH initiated once due to low battery, but it was close, and it landed where it was supposed to.  I didn't know about this issue then and will be much more cautious, diligently, either canceling RTH if its initated or just keeping it close at low battery and manually landing.

Are all the lost drone folks using Android?  Has this happened to anyone using an iPhone?

I've been following most of the threads regarding this and have yet to hear about this issue with iOS.
2017-1-25
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

I've had one flyaway but I think that was my error BUT I MUST put my phone number on it!
I am not suggesting this is what happened, but assuming the default password hasn't been changed what stops someone else hijacking it?
2017-1-26
Use props
fans22aa3cea
Second Officer
Flight distance : 558173 ft
Italy

I have used both Android and iOS devices.

In my experience, my iPad (Wifi + 3G) always correctly identify its own GPS position ("H" on the App), as well as the Drone Take off position.

When I use my LG Phone (which isn't officially supported), the Drone take off position is usually good, while the Operator GPS position ("H") may be wrong by quite a lot.

When I use my LG Phone, and I voluntarily trigger the RTH, sometimes it tells me that the Home Position (aka what my Phone GPS module says it's my current position) has been changed, and it asks me if I want the RTH to be set to the Drone Take off position or to the new Home Point position.

The feature is meant to let you get the drone back to you even when your position changes (i.e. when you're on a boat!), but you can guess what can go wrong with it! If your phone GPS isn't that reliable, it may have the drone go awry on you :-/

2017-1-26
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

fans22aa3cea Posted at 2017-1-26 00:38
I have used both Android and iOS devices.

In my experience, my iPad (Wifi + 3G) always correctly identify its own GPS position ("H" on the App), as well as the Drone Take off position.

"If your phone GPS isn't that reliable, it may have...."
This is wrong ! The gps of the android phones/tablets is absolutely ok  what can be easily proofed by checking android phones/tablets position on google maps or navigator.
It is the app that is faulty.
solentlife did a hell lot of tests with  interesting results, check it out,
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D395%26typeid%3D395
2017-1-26
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1988 ft
United Kingdom

So the search throughout the night and this morning has returned nothing.

If it made it to the beach its no doubt out in the sea.

Absolutely sick to the stomach!

DJI - I WANT ANSWERS!
2017-1-26
Use props
fans22aa3cea
Second Officer
Flight distance : 558173 ft
Italy

formentera Posted at 2017-1-26 01:12
"If your phone GPS isn't that reliable, it may have...."
This is wrong ! The gps of the android phones/tablets is absolutely ok  what can be easily proofed by checking android phones/tablets position on google maps or navigator.
It is the app that is faulty.

doesn't matter, if you're using a non-supported device
2017-1-26
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

Did you also walk the way from lost signal to assumed landing point in a straight line - in case the battery did not make up to the end ?

The only question that is left for me is HOW the app triggers the new homepoint setting. You always find new "Homepoint recorded" in conjunction  with "maximum flight distance reached. adjust distance settings in MC settings if required". But this is something only DJI could tell us - if they ever will...

2017-1-26
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

This is just negligent of DJI, my thread and other threads have demonstrated the RTH glitch in 3.1.2 since it's release but DJI still refuse to pull it from the Google PlayStore. If I was the OP I would be making waves with DJI now knowing this app has been demonstrated as being suspect for over 8 days now, with NO action from DJI. If they refuse to reimburse or supply a NIB P3S I would be straight down to the Trading Standards local office.
2017-1-26
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

MerlinL14 Posted at 2017-1-26 02:13
This is just negligent of DJI, my thread and other threads have demonstrated the RTH glitch in 3.1.2 since it's release but DJI still refuse to pull it from the Google PlayStore. If I was the OP I would be making waves with DJI now knowing this app has been demonstrated as being suspect for over 8 days now, with NO action from DJI. If they refuse to reimburse or supply a NIB P3S I would be straight down to the Trading Standards local office.

I've said as much to them.
They advised that it will take them 5-7 days to analyze my flight data and that they may replace or offer a discount on a new aircraft once the findings are known.

I asked them what they are doing about it just now.  The response was that the developers were working on it.

Completely unacceptable behaviour in my opinion.  The software clearly has an issue and should be pulled immediately.
2017-1-26
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

I would take a screen shot of the 6 or so threads that outline this issue with DJI Go app 3.1.2, especially the posts that relate to last week when forum members were almost pleading with DJI to pull the app due it being demonstrated that it can be replicated and isolated to the app version. Start the ball rolling with Trading Standards asap, you can always pull the complaint if DJI honour their side of the transaction.
Their 'engineers' must be crap at their job, there are hobby flyers on this forum that can analyse the flight logs within a few hours and pretty much come up with an almost definitive answer to what happened, they have done it and continue to do it day in day out to help other members understand why something went iffy. Get in contact with whoever you bought the P3 from, make them aware of this issue so it does escalate to all their customers, also make them aware of what happened to you and the next actions you are going to carry out. Do this in writing or record the phone conversation so there is a trail for litigation if it needs to go that far.
2017-1-26
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

This doesn't help you now, and may not have helped anyway, but after my little mishap I have just labelled my Phantom for free (I have obscured number in image)
DSCN5553_Resized.jpg
2017-1-26
Use props
Andy4195
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1046870 ft
United Kingdom

Was you viewing on an android or iOS device
2017-1-26
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Andy4195 Posted at 2017-1-26 09:06
Was you viewing on an android or iOS device

Android.
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
2017-1-26
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.2

United States

I am still puzzled a s to why DJI has not killed 3.1.2 and reverted back to software that worked, (like 3.1.1) and didn't cause these jumping home point flyaways.  Everyone is asking for it, but it has fallen on deaf ears.
2017-1-26
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

DJ Nee Posted at 2017-1-25 17:03
This is insane that so many people are reporting this bug, yet the only response seems to be "thank you for reporting it, please post your flight log and our technical department will look into it".
There should be a forced update to the previous version immediately. I wonder what the deal is going to be if this issue causes someone drone to create a fatal accident, with DJI knowing that this issue exists? I hope they have deep pockets.

It should at least be pulled off the Google Play store.
2017-1-26
Use props
Andy4195
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1046870 ft
United Kingdom

Once the Rth is deployed and it's noticed the home distance is not decreasing but going further afield am I right in assuming the rth can not be cancelled either on screen or manually on rc
2017-1-26
Use props
Rob Weeks 9
lvl.2

United States

Vikassi Posted at 2017-1-25 20:54

I'm concerned that it out of our control If for any reason the RTH is automatically initiated. It sounds like most peoples are taking off to the new RTH point so quickly that they are almost immediately losing RC signal and have no way to cancel the RTH. Ive only used this capability once because I prefer to manually land mine. When I seen how fast it came back I almost cancelled it. I can totally see the thing taking off so quickly that your not ever sure "What the hell just happened".
2017-1-26
Use props
Bfd300
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73661 ft
United States

Wait till there is a HP change it flies away and hurts someone.............that will be bad for DJI
2017-1-26
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

Home point was re-recorded 13m 16.5s into the flight, when it thought it was just 17ft from your starting point. It was updated at 13m 17.3s, suddenly 4,546.1ft from your starting point. RTH was initiated at 13m 21s but at this point the home point is in question, changing 3.4 of a mile in a fraction of a second.

Don't use RTH unless you have an accurate home point. If it flies the wrong way during RTH, take it out of RTH and manually fly it home.
With that said, that sudden change in the home point recorded is clear evidence of a malfunction thus it should be cover under warranty.
2017-1-26
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

RSW Posted at 2017-1-26 14:59
Home point was re-recorded 13m 16.5s into the flight, when it thought it was just 17ft from your starting point. It was updated at 13m 17.3s, suddenly 4,546.1ft from your starting point. RTH was initiated at 13m 21s but at this point the home point is in question, changing 3.4 of a mile in a fraction of a second.

Don't use RTH unless you have an accurate home point. If it flies the wrong way during RTH, take it out of RTH and manually fly it home.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. The home location was accurate for each flight including the last one until that split second malfunftion which escalated very quickly resulting in the aircraft disappearing.
2017-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules