Third flight finished...with home point problems
2261 23 2017-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cvein88
lvl.1
United States

So tonght I went on my third flight.  Everything went well, infact it was my first flight off beginner mode!  
Only one problem.  When I went to use the come home feature it gave me a messahe saying "home point is very far away from where you are now"...mind you I was only flying about 10 feet from my original homepoint.  

It does say that I need firmware updates...but i have chosen not to do any updates with all the bad things i have read on here.

But I am using a galaxy android tab running dgi go app version 3.1.2 ...which is the one i have heard has all the problems.  I think.. Now i am very scared to fly because if i get into trouble my come home feature is not working right.

How in the world do i get the old app back again and stop it from getting upgraded?  You guys think i should update the firmware and maybe its just an app problem?

Really at this point not sure what to do.  with all the update firmware problems i have read about i am scared to death to update anything, but i MUST have a good home point!

Thanks

Chris

2017-2-3
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Roll back the app to version 3.1.0 or 2.9.1 (better)
2017-2-3
Use props
JackA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

Here is one way:

1. Go to www.apkmirror.com
2. Search this site for, "DJI"
3. Select the GO APP version you want, then follow the on screen instructions for downloading
4. Uninstall your current GO APP via the Google Play site
5. Use your device's file manager to find and delete all the DJI, or GO APP folders left behind
6. Use your file manager to locate the downloaded *.apk file,  named something like;  dji.pilot_3.1.1-79_minAPL1(..............   The first three numbers are the version of the GO APP
7. With your file manager open the *.apk file, it will load its self
8. Open the GO APP and check all of the setting as they may have changed from what you had set up in your previous version
9.  If the video down link is off (no camera view on the APP) Reset the link with the S2 switch

The above is how I have accomplished the change and is not to be considered an authoritative or approved method.  

Firmware is what your Remote Control and Aircraft are running on.  To the best of my knowledge there is no problem with the most current versions.  The GO APP is what runs on your "viewing" device and version 3.1.2 seems to have some conflicts.  Good luck.
2017-2-3
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Read post #3, do that. It's nothing to do with the FW, it's all about the Go app version that you are using, 3.1.2.
2017-2-3
Use props
Jasonstarbird
lvl.2
Flight distance : 116998 ft
United States

I've not had any problems with the latest version of the app and firmware...other than possibly the following me function doesn't work.
2017-2-3
Use props
Jasonstarbird
lvl.2
Flight distance : 116998 ft
United States

I'd guess that if you have the latest version of them and have an issue caused by them, they will cover it. But if you have an issue without the latest version as recommended,  they may not cover it. Idk I'm just wondering outloud....
2017-2-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Jasonstarbird Posted at 2017-2-3 20:27
I'd guess that if you have the latest version of them and have an issue caused by them, they will cover it. But if you have an issue without the latest version as recommended,  they may not cover it. Idk I'm just wondering outloud....

"But if you have an issue without the latest version as recommended,  they may not cover it. Idk I'm just wondering out loud...."

You shouldn't be using a known faulty version because of that fear.
If it's a problem with the Phantom and its programming DJI will cover it.
Whether you were using earlier firmware or app  or not.

2017-2-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Chris, could you please sync your flight records from the DJI Go app and provide me with your DJI account email and the date this occurred?
Is your DJI account email the same as your forum email?
I'll help to check it.
2017-2-3
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

The other thing you should do after putting an older version on is change the Google Play setting to automatically update apps off, or it may have already updated by now ;-)
2017-2-4
Use props
cvein88
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-3 23:45
Hi Chris, could you please sync your flight records from the DJI Go app and provide me with your DJI account email and the date this occurred?
Is your DJI account email the same as your forum email?
I'll help to check it.

Hi Mindy,  

This happened just last night right before i made the post...omg i would love to have you help me check it...i have no idea how to do that..  my email is cvein@aol.com  .  if you can give me easy step by step directions i would love it...

cvein@aol.com
Chris
2017-2-4
Use props
cvein88
lvl.1
United States

JackA Posted at 2017-2-3 18:46
Here is one way:

ok so i found dji pilot 3.1.1   is this the one you are using?

Thanks

Chris
2017-2-4
Use props
cvein88
lvl.1
United States

ok found two versions....

3.1.0    and    3.1.1     any suggestions?  

Chris
2017-2-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

cvein88 Posted at 2017-2-4 02:37
Hi Mindy,  

This happened just last night right before i made the post...omg i would love to have you help me check it...i have no idea how to do that..  my email is   .  if you can give me easy step by step directions i would love it...

Thanks. Could you please clarify which Phantom model you have? Phantom 3 Standard?
I'll help to report this.
2017-2-5
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

Hi Mindy,
It doesn't really matter what Phantom one uses, the problem is with the DJI GO app version 3.1.2 for Android.   It does not report the mobile device's current position.   This is a very dangerous condition that I am shocked DJI doesn't know about considering that version of the app has been out 3 weeks now and there's lots of posts on the issue.  It doesn't matter what Android device one uses.
I'm also suspecting the max distance function may also send the birds away if the home point gets changed to the location 2 miles away.
One way to quickly see this problem is run the app without connecting it to an RC or AC, and it will show you to be in an incorrect position on the map even though Google Map on the same device and everything else using the GPS function show the correct location.
I originally had 3.1.2 on my Samsung Tab E where I noticed it was misreporting my position and would say my GPS is weak on the tablet.
I downgraded to 3.1.0 and it now reports my position correctly so it's not the tablet.

Let's get this app version repealed or fixed and updated quickly before more people start losing their birds due to being sent 2 miles away on account of the home position getting locked in on the perceived mobile device position.   Chinese new year is over for almost a week now so that's no longer an excuse.
2017-2-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

DanMan32 Posted at 2017-2-5 19:39
Hi Mindy,
It doesn't really matter what Phantom one uses, the problem is with the DJI GO app version 3.1.2 for Android.   It does not report the mobile device's current position.   This is a very dangerous condition that I am shocked DJI doesn't know about considering that version of the app has been out 3 weeks now and there's lots of posts on the issue.  It doesn't matter what Android device one uses.
I'm also suspecting the max distance function may also send the birds away if the home point gets changed to the location 2 miles away.

Hello, our engineers already known this issue and they are working on it.
We will need more information to locate the problem.
2017-2-5
Use props
Stone Stomper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 57953 ft
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-5 23:49

Looks like dji have admitted an issue so customers should be eligible for a replacement  
2017-2-6
Use props
Somnium
lvl.3
Flight distance : 888819 ft
Kazakhstan

Do you calibrate compass before every flight?
My seller advised me to do it every time when I go to fly because drone could use old homepoint in cause of problems and may fly back to your previous homepoint...
2017-2-6
Use props
JDB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188451 ft
New Zealand

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-5 23:49

Hi Mindy would you please advise where we can find a safe site to download earlier versions of DJI GO?  Yesterday I had a very unpleasant experience with my P3S, the home point shifted about 600 metres from where I was, to a place I'd never been, and I was using 3.1.2.  I was very lucky to be able to bring  the craft closer and had to crash it into tall grass about 100 metres away.  So it appears undamaged but I haven't tried it again because of all the fear/uncertainty/doubt about 3.2.1.    Can DJI please do the responsible thing and while this problem remains unresolved, make earlier apks available, or recommend a safe site.  Most apk download sites have warnings about malware - so more fear/uncertainty/doubt.  DJI customers shouldn't have to put up with that.
2017-2-6
Use props
JDB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188451 ft
New Zealand

JackA Posted at 2017-2-3 18:46
Here is one way:

Thank you for this info, do you know if apkmirror is safe? I'm worried about doing that because I found this on the AVG threat alert website:  "Is apkmirror.com safe from viruses?  During the last 7 days potentially active malware was detected on the main site of this domain.  Last update: Feb 04, 2017"  

I'm not familiar with many apk download sites, so not sure if the AVG warning is a practical one.   

It is incredible that DJI isn't doing anything about making previous versions available safely, for such widely reported problem, narrowed down to a particular version.  I had a very lucky escape yesterday from a bogus home reading.  Stopped the rotors and crashed the P3S into tall grass to save it from total loss.

I did another posting on this topic but can't see it, apologies if there is any duplication.
2017-2-6
Use props
Philly Phantom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249590 ft
United States

Same issue here.  i just did a test flight to see if this affected me also and what do ya know, i got the same warning.  You can see on the screen shot that it shows my P3S about 10000 feet away from me all the while its litterally sitting right next to me.  No way was i letting it fly further than 20 feet.
Screenshot_1.png
2017-2-6
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

DJI is having me test a beta version to address this issue which I am going to test this afternoon.
2017-2-6
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

Somnium Posted at 2017-2-6 00:31
Do you calibrate compass before every flight?
My seller advised me to do it every time when I go to fly because drone could use old homepoint in cause of problems and may fly back to your previous homepoint...

No, do not constantly recalibrate your compass. Do it in an open area, if it completes successful then there is no need to do it again unless, your Go app says it is required or you fly in an area that is substantially far away from where you did it initially.
2017-2-6
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

I tested the beta version they sent me  where I concluded the mobile home position has been fixed.  I emailed back the engineer who sent me the beta and informed him that the issue is resolved.
Current position on the map when not connected to the RC was correct, setting home point manually to current mobile position was correct even after walking 100 feet west of launch point, and tested Follow Me mode with AC 100 feet up which worked perfectly.   Perhaps up to a 10 feet range of error but that's to be expected.
I also tested RTH after setting my home position 30 feet away with the AC still above where I launched and it came to me.   I canceled landing after descending to 50 feet since it is not pinpoint accuracy and there were trees, powerlines houses and street to contend with.
No other functions were tested however.

I tested both on an HTC 10 that still had 3.1.2 installed on it and my Galaxy Tab E 9.7 Wifi Only that I had downgraded to 3.1.0.   Go App on Tab showed version 3.1.2 when I installed the beta.

I would expect a new release made public rather soon.
2017-2-6
Use props
Philly Phantom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249590 ft
United States

DanMan32 Posted at 2017-2-6 13:03
I tested the beta version they sent me  where I concluded the mobile home position has been fixed.  I emailed back the engineer who sent me the beta and informed him that the issue is resolved.
Current position on the map when not connected to the RC was correct, setting home point manually to current mobile position was correct even after walking 100 feet west of launch point, and tested Follow Me mode with AC 100 feet up which worked perfectly.   Perhaps up to a 10 feet range of error but that's to be expected.
I also tested RTH after setting my home position 30 feet away with the AC still above where I launched and it came to me.   I canceled landing after descending to 50 feet since it is not pinpoint accuracy and there were trees, powerlines houses and street to contend with.

Fingers Crossed
2017-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules