123Next >
5996 88 2017-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I think dji will not deny warranty claim based on the fact you used Litchi alone.. they CAN get the logs from litchi just as they can from GO, there are also logs on the drone.. assuming they are accessible...  so there are still prospects for warranty, but yes, from what i read it is a bit harder without GO app....
Would be nice to hear from DJI what is the current policy on 3rd party apps, especially one as mainstream as Litchi...
2017-2-15
Use props
Bourgeois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

cvein88 Posted at 2017-2-14 02:51
FOR SOME REASON MY MAPS ARE ALWAYS BLANK WITH NO DETAIL EVEN THOUGH MY LOCATION IS ON...How do I fix this>?

Thanks

I have the same on one of my Android mobile(s) (S6 Edge). When I am connected to home wifi I get Here maps. When I connect to Drone Wifi I get google but they are blank. Uninstalled, re-installed, cleared cache/data, tried airport mode, tried just cellular data, etc.... Nothing but a blank google map. I would give anything to get any map at this moment. Even Here.
On the other hand, my other mobile (S6 without cellular) I was having the exact same issue until I tried to zoom in. Voila.... Prefect Google maps. Wish that worked for my S6 Edge

2017-2-15
Use props
Bourgeois
lvl.3
Canada

Rene Jensen Posted at 2017-2-14 07:25
cache the map areas where you fly when you are connectet to the home wifi

That does not work.... See my previous response/quote to this same poster
2017-2-15
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-15 02:11
When you talk to forum rep, mod or admin, in that tone, you aren't going to get an answer. Period.

Here's the thing. DJI Jamie is in the USA, DJI Corp are located in China. Forum moderators are here to manage and referee the forum, share helpful info, and keep the peace. They aren't privy to the folks who build and write code for the apps or firmware. Sure they can ask, but may not get the answers.

I totally hear what you are saying BUT we have been telling them for months about the HERE maps. I saw the other day in your own post that you were shocked when you realised Android has HERE maps and the quality is terrible. So now for me I have Litchi...I only use the GoApp to check sensors and it is then shut down and Litchi cranked up. As for saying anything else Im going to bite my tongue so I dont start world war 3.Im all calm now after a good nights sleep !!! Cheers mate.
2017-2-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Devildog9999 Posted at 2017-2-15 06:17
The "here" maps are all but useless for even basic orientation in many areas.   DJI clearly wants us to stop using "Go" so they can deny any and all warranty claims because we are not using their application.  Forcing us to use a 3rd party is brilliant on their part.   

Force an upgrade to a beta version of software = Litchi users grow.  No warranty claims paid.

Easy solution, Buy an iPad or other iOS device that is usable, and get your maps in good order... ;-)

Why keep hammering away. DJI and iApple are recently in conjunction with each other now, so perhaps that is the driving force about this map controversy. They don't want you to use a third party app, but wish you to get onboard with an appropriate iOS device, it's simple and clean...

It's become One stop shopping now too. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2017-2-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DINGO DOWN UNDA Posted at 2017-2-15 12:09
I totally hear what you are saying BUT we have been telling them for months about the HERE maps. I saw the other day in your own post that you were shocked when you realised Android has HERE maps and the quality is terrible. So now for me I have Litchi...I only use the GoApp to check sensors and it is then shut down and Litchi cranked up. As for saying anything else Im going to bite my tongue so I dont start world war 3.Im all calm now after a good nights sleep !!! Cheers mate.

"Roger", Yes, yeah, for sure, certainly, good stuff, totally agree. Just rinse and repeat. ;-)

DJI, Landing on their feet, They are running as fast as they can...  Chuckles

If you use an iApple device, Google maps are still it...

It's frustrating and I empathize with your situation. But it is what it is. What can I say, to help you understand and deal with it? I reiterate, no explanation can be mustered...

I have an iPad Air2 Cellular as my dedicated Phantom 3 Pro', flight kit device. So have no complaints or map concerns. But I most certainly get where you and others are coming from. It may change back.
Yesterday, Google maps showed up, for a New York minute. Was it a preflight test? Perhaps yes.
Only time will tell us. The Android users anyway.

Your work around, has been useful, and you're smart to recognize that. ;-)

"Over and out".

RedHotPoker

2017-2-15
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

fans4d3dcf46 Posted at 2017-2-13 14:26
Is this via an app update? I still have Here maps on 3.1.3 (android)

same here
2017-2-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-2-15 08:38
I think dji will not deny warranty claim based on the fact you used Litchi alone.. they CAN get the logs from litchi just as they can from GO, there are also logs on the drone.. assuming they are accessible...  so there are still prospects for warranty, but yes, from what i read it is a bit harder without GO app....
Would be nice to hear from DJI what is the current policy on 3rd party apps, especially one as mainstream as Litchi...

Litchi isn't created by DJI, so acquiring logs from a database that isn't theirs would be unlikely. Using a 3rd party app, like Litchi, wouldn't automatically void your warrnaty. The Repair Center would attempt to read the flight data from the aircraft first to try and determine if there were any apparent malfunctions of the aircraft. If the cause cannot be determined via the aircraft's internal flight data, then that's when they attempt to look at the app flight records. 3rd party app data doesn't necessarily provide the same analystic data that the Go app provides since it wasn't DJI's design, so that information can't really be used for warranty claims.

In sum, if the aircraft's internal data cannot 100% determine the cause of the incident, then most likely you'll end up paying for the repairs. The Repair Team may be able to help with the cost of invoice, but that's determined on a case by case basis.
2017-2-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-15 14:20
Litchi isn't created by DJI, so acquiring logs from a database that isn't theirs would be unlikely. Using a 3rd party app, like Litchi, wouldn't automatically void your warrnaty. The Repair Center would attempt to read the flight data from the aircraft first to try and determine if there were any apparent malfunctions of the aircraft. If the cause cannot be determined via the aircraft's internal flight data, then that's when they attempt to look at the app flight records. 3rd party app data doesn't necessarily provide the same analystic data that the Go app provides since it wasn't DJI's design, so that information can't really be used for warranty claims.

In sum, if the aircraft's internal data cannot 100% determine the cause of the incident, then most likely you'll end up paying for the repairs. The Repair Team may be able to help with the cost of invoice, but that's determined on a case by case basis.

It would be good if the title of this thread were edited to reflect the discussion, because the Google maps are NOT back, and it is misleading.
2017-2-15
Use props
JackA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

In the north western corner of the United States (Washington State) the Here maps are OK.  the satellite image is blurry at the most zoomed in level but OK one step back from full zoom.  I fly in the map mode not satellite so the slight difference between Google and Here is not an issue.  I downloaded the"Here We Go" map app and then downloaded the file for Washington State.  The satellite view is better but not as good as I have seen on Google Maps.
2017-2-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-15 14:25
It would be good if the title of this thread were edited to reflect the discussion, because the Google maps are NOT back, and it is misleading.

Geoff, Apparently, they were for a short period.

But then the Google map soon reverted back to Here, and now...

The thread title Was accurate, for a New York Minute... Ha
Yes, though you are also correct.. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

From what I was able to gather, there are occasions where Google maps would appear as a primary or backup map system:

1.        When Google Maps is available in that location and the language is Japanese
2.        When the Google Map service is available with GPS data in Japan, and the accurate within 300m
3.        When Google Maps service is available with GPS data in other regions and accurate within 300m, but the Here map 'initialization' has failed

In regards to the third point, there is a difference between the idea of 'failing' at start up and the Here map server being 'slow', which the latter could contribute to the satellite map quality being blurred out. At this time, this is the most information I have on this.

2017-2-15
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Here There Everywhere

2017-2-15
Use props
timnwcove
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87428 ft
Canada

^^^^ that is truly funny !! lol lol
2017-2-15
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

Hmm, so get the Here init to fail and you get Google.   Hmm.
2017-2-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DanMan32 Posted at 2017-2-15 19:11
Hmm, so get the Here init to fail and you get Google.   Hmm.

Going back to grade one and getting a real modern education.

An iApple device gives you all the map you need, and then some. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-2-15
Use props
Bourgeois
lvl.3
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-15 19:15
Going back to grade one and getting a real modern education.

Yeah but...... I have a brand new iPad mini 4 and using DJI-Go I do get better maps than Here but definitely not as good a Google maps under Litchi or any app under Android.

Dji-Go Map on iPad Mini 4

Dji-Go Map on iPad Mini 4

Litchi Map on iPad Mini 4

Litchi Map on iPad Mini 4
2017-2-16
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-15 14:20

Not a dig at you Jamie, but; Litchi pay DJI for the open source licence to modify the DJI Go app and release their own version, yes?
If this is the case then, to my belief the format of the created logs will be exactly the same in Litchi as they are in Go as even with an open source license they will not be allowed to change the code structure.
I don't know if you sought advice before making your reply but, this is just another cop out if it is an official line. DJI WILL have the means to download the flight logs from the P3, device used for flying and at request Litchi database as they will be formatted exactly the same on both platforms.
2017-2-16
Use props
Devildog9999
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73865 ft
United States

Getting a recommendation to "go get an Apple Device" is complete nonsense.  Everything worked fine with Android before and it can again.  If in reality DJI wants Apple only devices being used for their products, they should commit to that, advise the customer base, re-brand the packaging and not look back so that the other 96% of the world can move on and look for another platform.   In truth, I very seriously doubt that a company as large and diverse as DJI would ever make the mistake of segregating Android.

2017-2-16
Use props
kndll
Second Officer
Flight distance : 930161 ft
Canada

Devildog9999 Posted at 2017-2-16 08:32
Getting a recommendation to "go get an Apple Device" is complete nonsense.  Everything worked fine with Android before and it can again.  If in reality DJI wants Apple only devices being used for their products, they should commit to that, advise the customer base, re-brand the packaging and not look back so that the other 96% of the world can move on and look for another platform.   In truth, I very seriously doubt that a company as large and diverse as DJI would ever make the mistake of segregating Android.

if they want us to use APPLE products so bad then DJI should be providing us free  ones
2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Bourgeois Posted at 2017-2-16 04:51
Yeah but...... I have a brand new iPad mini 4 and using DJI-Go I do get better maps than Here but definitely not as good a Google maps under Litchi or any app under Android.

Interesting screen captures. But you would never fly that high, would you?

Spread the maps out to bring it closer to the ground. Perhaps you would see slightly better detail. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-16
Use props
Bourgeois
lvl.3
Canada

Years of experience with Apple users I have learned that they are loyal as they come. I like a lot of their stuff as well but.... Their maps suck and do not hold a candle to Google maps.. Sorry

DJI Go with Apple Map

DJI Go with Apple Map

Litchi with Google

Litchi with Google
2017-2-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Apple is losing that loyalty lately.

I know that I am no longer pleased with the way they are going.  The only thing that keeps me using them at the moment is that MicroSux and Hemorrhoid are still worse options.

Need to update my Laptop soon but I am hoping my MBP 2012 will hang in there a while longer as there is now way I will pay for that new POS they are selling.
2017-2-16
Use props
Da Lata
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008297 ft

Brazil

Thirty minutes ago...

2017-2-16
Use props
Da Lata
lvl.4

Brazil

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy J5, and the dirt on my finger is spider web that was stuck on my tripod...
2017-2-16
Use props
kndll
Second Officer
Flight distance : 930161 ft
Canada

Da Lata Posted at 2017-2-16 13:26
Thirty minutes ago...

https://youtu.be/7Xyr2iBPWEM

duplicate it again tomorrow , probably will be gone then .
2017-2-16
Use props
Da Lata
lvl.4

Brazil

kndll Posted at 2017-2-16 14:26
duplicate it again tomorrow , probably will be gone then .

Yesterday was already like this all day. Try to turn off device wiifi, enable 3 or 4G, open DJI Go App, tap the camera button (gray), shut off DJI Go app, Clean device RAM, turn on RC, Turn on ACFT, turn on device wiifi, connect phantom 3 network, open DJI Go and see what´s happen!

Now if i open DJI Go app without turn on ACFT and RC and conectted to my home network the HERE map apears again...

2017-2-16
Use props
Da Lata
lvl.4

Brazil

Maybe, maybe the app is only downloading google maps through 3G / 4G
2017-2-16
Use props
JDB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188451 ft
New Zealand

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-15 15:53
From what I was able to gather, there are occasions where Google maps would appear as a primary or backup map system:

1.        When Google Maps is available in that location and the language is Japanese

H'mmm, that might explain why my P3S starts out with Here maps and then converts to Google.  I have accidentally been posting to the Mavic forum about my experience: "Well, this is weird.  This morning, ***the Here map converted to Google Maps, while I was flying***.  Basic process was this:  ...."  [Not sure if my link to the Mavic works... still learning how this works]
2017-2-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MerlinL14 Posted at 2017-2-16 06:58
Not a dig at you Jamie, but; Litchi pay DJI for the open source licence to modify the DJI Go app and release their own version, yes?
If this is the case then, to my belief the format of the created logs will be exactly the same in Litchi as they are in Go as even with an open source license they will not be allowed to change the code structure.
I don't know if you sought advice before making your reply but, this is just another cop out if it is an official line. DJI WILL have the means to download the flight logs from the P3, device used for flying and at request Litchi database as they will be formatted exactly the same on both platforms.

'Litchi pay DJI for the open source licence to modify the DJI Go app and release their own version, yes?
If this is the case then, to my belief the format of the created logs will be exactly the same in Litchi as they are in Go as even with an open source license they will not be allowed to change the code structure. '

Litchi do not 'pay DJI for the open source licence to modify the DJI Go app'. DJI publish an SDK (Software development Kit) that Litchi use to develop a completely different application. That SDK is available to anyone, even you. And it is up to each developer what form of log recording and what information they save, so the logs are not the same at all. But the log in the aircraft is written by DJI, so if it can be recovered, DJI will have all the information they need. It is only the log saved in the phone/tablet that is different with a third party app.
2017-2-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

MerlinL14 Posted at 2017-2-16 06:58

The mobile SDK, which Litchi uses, is a kit that allows for them to create a completely different app that can work with DJI's aircrafts and the latest flight controllers. The app that these users create do not need to uphold the same flight record format as DJI. The aircraft's internal flight data is the only source that's untouched by any form of SDK (mobile or onboard) and would not be affected by the use of a different app.
2017-2-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-16 22:58
'Litchi pay DJI for the open source licence to modify the DJI Go app and release their own version, yes?
If this is the case then, to my belief the format of the created logs will be exactly the same in Litchi as they are in Go as even with an open source license they will not be allowed to change the code structure. '

That pretty much hit the nail on the head.
2017-2-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Da Lata Posted at 2017-2-16 15:35
Maybe, maybe the app is only downloading google maps through 3G / 4G

Post #52 outlines what causes Google Maps to temporarily disappear. It doesn't really have anything to do with 3G/4G connectivity, but whether or not the Here map server initialized at all (for non Japan customers)..
2017-2-16
Use props
Knoxy in Oz
New
Flight distance : 93497 ft
Australia

If you turn on the "for china mainland" setting in the DJI GO app it reverts to Google maps.
2017-2-17
Use props
JDB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188451 ft
New Zealand

Knoxy in Oz Posted at 2017-2-17 16:29
If you turn on the "for china mainland" setting in the DJI GO app it reverts to Google maps.

I had a play with this on my Android 5.2,  DJI GO 3.1.3.  Under General Settings I tried selecting "Enable Amap (for China Mainland)" and also "Calibrate Map Coordinates (for China Mainland)", in various combinations.  Google map didn't appear, an unbranded map appeared with Chinese characters did appear for placenames in my area, and the GPS position of the controller was shown 50m north if where it actually was.

Is your experience with the selections repeatable?  Can you confirm you are using Android phone with DJI GO 3.1.3?
2017-2-18
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansf274e658 Posted at 2017-2-13 13:33
If they listen to what the forum members say they will have no complaints.
I think the google maps was a better choice. The here maps are not as detailed. Older maps and then have lots of cloud coverage on areas and then some areas not even any medium details.
So overall it was a silly move for whatever reason and going back to google maps a smarter move ..

Don't worry, they have a sharp eye on the forum
2017-2-18
Use props
gvgeorge
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-15 02:11
When you talk to any of the forum reps, mods or admin folks, in that tone, you aren't going to get an answer. Period.

Here's the thing. DJI Jamie is in the USA, DJI Corp are located in China. Forum moderators are here to manage and referee the forum, share helpful info, and keep the peace. They aren't privy to the folks who build and write code for the apps or firmware. Sure they can ask, but may not get the answers.

Speaking for myself, I heartily dislike completely agreeing with your suggestion that DJI staffers responsible for this forum are seemingly  being kept in the dark, rendering them unable to provide quality customer service.  Making mushrooms of customer-facing staffers is not only bad for customer satisfaction but also creates a poisonous development atmosphere.  
2017-2-26
Use props
Tyler Robinson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 373734 ft
United States

I was glad to see the change here in the southeast US... My maps have gone from very antiquated, to pretty much up to date.

2017-2-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-16 22:58

Correct ... and the log in Litchi does not need a third party online reader either as its a csv file that loads direct into Excel .... so nothing like the coded log that Go uses.

Nigel
2017-2-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Knoxy in Oz Posted at 2017-2-17 16:29

Not for me it doesn't

Tried all the tricks and hints and switch ons detailed in this thared and not once has Google Maps shown ...

Only way I get Google Maps is with Litchi.

Nigel
2017-2-26
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules