P4P Still Camera Manual Setting Light Metre
2854 13 2017-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matt218
lvl.2
Australia

Hi All,

My P4P when taking still images in Manual mode, it appears that the light metre is completely useless.

When in M mode, a correctly balanced image will also be -2.0 on the EV scale.

However when in M mode and when I balance the light on the EV scale to 0.0 (even) the image is rediculously overexposed.

When in A or S mode it does not do this, the EV scale appears to work correctly.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Is the light metre in M mode for still images faulty or does it simply not work?

Thanks
Matt
2017-2-26
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Matt,
Just tested this on my P4P to try and help you out.
Stills mode:In M, fully manual, with a correctly exposed Histogram, I get EV of 0.0.  When I use Aperture to adjust the exposure, each click equates to 1/3 of a stop, same goes for Shutter, each click of the wheel equates to 1/3 of a stop.  However if you adjust ISO each click is one whole stop.  Also if I deliberately over expose by changing either Aperture or Shutter, the EV will change accordingly, up to a maximum of 2 stops either way.  So mine appears to work how I would expect, except that EV only reads 2 stops either way.

If I select either Aperture or Shutter Priority, the camera selects the other setting to give me a correct exposure, and I have to manually adjust the EV if I want to change the exposure from the cameras selection.  If I do this to change EV I can increas or decrease exposure by 3 stops either way.

So the EV reading is a meter in M and cannot be used to adjust the exposure, but in auto, or A or P it becomes an active adjustment.
If in Manual I select an aperture/shutter speed/ISO combination to give me a -2.0 readout on the EV then the histogram is over to the Left and the image on my screen is 2 stops under exposed.  And the reverse is true.  However if my settings are way out, say 4 or more stops the EV will still only read +/- 2.0 either way.

By the sounds of it, your is operating different to mine?  Or have I interpreted your post wrongly.

Sorry it's long winded but I hope will help you out.  Good luck.

2017-2-26
Use props
Matt218
lvl.2
Australia

Hi, thanks for your reply. What you have described is exactly how I would like the light meter in the P4P to work. It would be great!

Don't know if you can see the screen shot I attached but this is what I mean.

The EV is indicating -0.3 underexposed and yet it is so crazy overexposed!

In A and S modes it works properly, this is issue is only related to M mode, very frustrating
IMG_0026.PNG
IMG_0026.PNG
2017-2-26
Use props
Seb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 659003 ft
Poland

I have exactly the same issue. When shooting in "M" mode, I can't rely on EV meter, because it shows -2.0EV for correctly exposed images. I have to rely on histogram and my personal judge on what I see on preview. But this issue can be intermittent, because previously it worked well and if i remember correctly, when I was taking my last shots it returned to normal. So apparently this issue is related to DJI GO 4 app and sometimes may show up and sometimes not.

But definitely and in every detail I can confirm issue you reported.
2017-2-26
Use props
Matt218
lvl.2
Australia

Thanks for your reply Seb. Whilst its incredibly frustrating I'm glad that its not only my drone that is affected. I wonder if DJI plan on implementing a future fix for this issue?

The histogram is a great alternative, probably better in many ways.
2017-2-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

I just tested on my device with the same values you set for ISO, Aperture, Shutter, then I get -2.0 for EV.
Please delete the APP then re-install it and reset camera setting.
EV.png
2017-2-27
Use props
Matt218
lvl.2
Australia

Thank you.....delete the app from the device and reinstall and then reconfigure the app to the drone?

I've reset the camera settings multiple times to no avail so I'll try this
2017-2-27
Use props
lienbacher
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1068337 ft
Austria

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-2-27 00:54
I just tested on my device with the same values you set for ISO, Aperture, Shutter, then I get -2.0 for EV.
Please delete the APP then re-install it and reset camera setting.

Natalia it seems your image illustrates the problem quite well. While you entered the same settings you conincidentally end up with a correctly exposed image, however your lightmeter shows -2. If you adjust the settings so the lightmeter shows -1/3 your image will be overexposed as well.
2017-2-27
Use props
YeeaaBoii
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2127306 ft
  • >>>
United States

On my Inspire 1, I can change shutter or aperture in manual mode one click or two and the EV number will go up or down accordingly by 0.3 intervals. On my Inspire 2, 99% of the time it says -2.0 and it doesn't matter how the frame is exposed. I can be looking into the sun and it says -2.0 when in manual mode. DJI PLEASE UPDATE THIS SOON!
2017-2-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Matt218 Posted at 2017-2-26 12:54
Hi, thanks for your reply. What you have described is exactly how I would like the light meter in the P4P to work. It would be great!

That is a very odd result, and I believe it is a bug in the software. However I notice your histagram is showing a predictable result, ie it is over-exposed.
2017-2-27
Use props
EPT160
lvl.2
Flight distance : 373947 ft
Australia

Matt218 Posted at 2017-2-26 12:54

Looking at your settings, you are shooting in bright daylight, if you do not have a ND or PL on, with the ISO set at 400 and sun behind you and at 400th of a second, your F Stop should be nearer F16, which the P4P will not do, minimum aperture is F11. It is possible that you may have to get closer to the range of the P4. Try lowering the ISO to 100 and stopping down to F8 and see if it behaves
2017-2-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you all for your feedback, we're aware of this case, will get it sorted out soon.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2017-2-28
Use props
Matt218
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-2-28 01:05
Thank you all for your feedback, we're aware of this case, will get it sorted out soon.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks, will this be via a firmware update for the drone or the app?
2017-3-3
Use props
EPT160
lvl.2
Flight distance : 373947 ft
Australia

After P4P working correctly for two months, I am now also getting exposure problems. Still images, both DNG and jpeg are 2 to 3 stops overexposed, even though all settings/histograms/exposure warning etc etc appear to be fine. Video shot with the same settings at the same time is exposed correctly. Same result with both Go4 and Litchi. Updated to latest firmware, still overexposed. Tested all modes, Auto, Aperture, Shutter and Manual.

I then turned off the "Mechanical Shutter' option and images are now correctly exposed.

Do I have a damaged 'mechanical shutter'??

How does this 'Mechanical Shutter' work? With stills? With video?

Thanks
2017-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules