About DJI Go 4 crashes
7087 73 2017-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flyingasd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31089 ft
Italy

I tried with a Nexus 5 (2GB) with 7.1.2 and a Huawei Nova with 6 (3GB RAM).

Both freezing, but Nova later than Nexus (because of RAM i think).

With Litchi no freezing problem.
2017-4-10
Use props
Samoth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95640 ft
Belgium

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-4-9 14:22
This is why we can't have nice things .
Everything has a built in reserve , some better designed than others . I'm glad Dji has such good range in a small package to penetrate through trees and interference better than any other drone I have had .

I never said I go for max capability.
The previous guy (who was quite antipathic) reproached me to go 300m from me.
I didn't say I'd go to the limit (4km in EU), but common, if I have to keep in LOS, I should stay at 50m from me.

To use one of your metaphors, it would be like having a Ferrari but driving only at 50km/h max on highways
2017-4-10
Use props
Samoth
lvl.3
Belgium

Supashot Posted at 2017-4-9 23:59
I use the same phone, great phone btw! The DJI go app crash at least once of twice per flight! It's really unacceptable with the price of this toy!
I had to buy a iPad mini, more stable and larger view.

Best phone I ever had.
And reading other comments, I doubt it's the RAM since the 3T has 6 Go of it
2017-4-10
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bob Dole Posted at 2017-4-9 16:43
All,

I'm new here, so forgive me if others have covered this.  I had a lot of issues with the app crashing previously.  The problem for me was RAM. I had to clear every last little bit of RAM and put the phone into airplane mode.  Now my app no longer crashes.

Please try and keep in mind we are talking about the DJI GO4 app crashing and loss of video to your phone or tablet, not loss of control via the Remote Controller (RC).  If you have set up RTH with a home point and a good safe return altitude, you can recall the Mavic with the RTH button on the RC  (Top left buttton).  You do have to press and hold for a couple seconds and it will beep.  When it gets closer you can let it land or take control.  I have never lost control of the drone via RC.  If it is a dot in the distance you should let go of controls to stop.  Then move right stick left or right and see which way it moves.  That will tell you which way it is facing (towards or away).  If you can't tell, try right stick forward or backwards and see which way it moves.  I suspect experienced drone fliers already know that, but as a beginner I needed to figure out how to get it back in case RTH fails.
2017-4-11
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mcflying Posted at 2017-4-5 13:06
I already posted this some weeks ago, but with my pingpong cheapo android phone i never have any problem with th DJI Go 4 app?
However before flying i close all apps in the background and put it in flightmode.
Do you all do the same?

I do close out all apps.  How do you get map info if you put it in airplane mode, won't that stop data?
2017-4-11
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mcflying Posted at 2017-4-5 13:06
I already posted this some weeks ago, but with my pingpong cheapo android phone i never have any problem with th DJI Go 4 app?
However before flying i close all apps in the background and put it in flightmode.
Do you all do the same?

Please give us more info:

Make/ model of phone,
android OS it is using,
which version of DJI GO4,
which version of drone firmware?

Without that info it is hard to figure out the relevance of your post.  My Mavic was great, until the last update to android OS to 7.0 (from 6.01), and the firmware to 01.03.0550 (from 01.03.05 from the prior which I forgot to write down), and DJI GO4 app updated to V 4.0.5

Just noticed on http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads that the Mavic User Manual just updated again.  So maybe so did something else, as the manual seems to get updated with new releases.
2017-4-11
Use props
SongMavic-Cali
New
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-2 05:35
As for the Go4 app crashing and causing the Mavic to crash is nonsense
If the app crashes you still have full control with your RC
If you are following the rules--Guide Lines--you can no crash your Mavic

sorry this is not true. AFAIK

My app crashed while I had my drone in Active Track in circling mode.
until I could bring my App back up i couldn't cancel out of the Active Track mode.

Unless you know of a way to get out of "Active Track" just from RC, I would consider this a "LOSS OF CONTROL"
2017-4-11
Use props
SongMavic-Cali
New
United States

forgot to mention my phone is Galaxy s7 on latest firmware on both Mavic and phone.

Somone here say "what do you expect of free app"..  how is that even an argument?  we're buying the whole thing as package, Drone, RC and App.  App doens't work by itself. nor can you use the full functions of the drone without the App.  Each part, is part of the whole.  
2017-4-11
Use props
fans5d497390
lvl.2
United States

My nvidia Shield Tablet wifi-only with Android 7 GoApp4 crashes with every flight, ugh!  I was able to roll it back to Android 6.
2017-4-11
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-4-11 06:21
Please give us more info:

Make/ model of phone,

Make/ model of phone, Moto G (3rd generation)
android OS it is using, Android 6.0.1
which version of DJI GO4, version 4.05
which version of drone firmware? latest Mavic fimware

furthermore your earlier question about flightmode and maps.
I think that the DJI Go app caches the maps, cause whenever i fly (flightmode) i can see all details on the screen.
2017-4-11
Use props
HCSYSTEM
New
Flight distance : 138366 ft
Norway

I am using iPhone 7 and the app is crashing every single time. Also losing the image transmission. I have to restart the app several times during every flight.
2017-4-11
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

New Android app - 4.0.6 + Firmware .600 - We might have a winner!

I just flew a full battery (indoors) from 100% to 20% (I don't like to discharge my battery more than that) and let it hover the whole time, probably 15+ minutes and no app crashes, nothing!
2017-4-11
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

SongMavic-Cali Posted at 2017-4-11 08:35

My app crashed while I had my drone in Active Track in circling mode.

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-2 05:35
As for the Go4 app crashing and causing the Mavic to crash is nonsense
If the app crashes you still have full control with your RC
If you are following the rules--Guide Lines--you can no crash your Mavic
View full quote

SongMavic-Cali,
                       I'm sorry to tell you  my quote is True !!!
Your app crashed Not your Mavic because you still had control of it with your RC , which is the hole reason I said --  "The Go4 app Crashing and Causing the Mavic to Crash is nonsense"
Song if you ever have a problem with the app crashing and your in any of the Auto modes in the Go4 app
all you have to do is flip the switch on the side of the RC from P-Mode to Sports-Mode or vice versa it will cancel any Auto Flight Mode you are in giving you Full Manual (Stick-input) RC control again with out the
Go4 app running --- I hope this info helps you !!
FlySafe-FlyFree  
2017-4-11
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

2 full batteries now, 0 aPp crashes.  We are on to something here!
2017-4-11
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mcflying Posted at 2017-4-11 13:09
Make/ model of phone, Moto G (3rd generation)
android OS it is using, Android 6.0.1
which version of DJI GO4, version 4.05

Thanks for the info.  Mine is a Samsung S7, android OS is 7.0, was DJI GO4 4.05, but updated to 4.06 yesterday and firmware from 01.03.05 and 01.03.055 (two days apart) and yesterday to 01.03.06.  In case you don't know, you can find that in the about menu under general settings in the DJI GO4 app.

Appreciate the info, it may mean that there is something in Android 7 that DJI hadn't figured out.  So far the new firmware with same DJI GO4 (4.4.05) is working well.  Flew it out to about 1000' using video and no issues.  Even tried an intelligent flight mode (remember I am a beginner) and have mostly practiced flying manually and framing shots manually.  With prior to firmware upgrades and the app crashing I didn't feel comfortable getting to far away.
Thanks again.
2017-4-12
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-9 15:23
You are reporting my same exact problem.  Somewhere between 10 to 15 min of flight time, the app will crash every single time.  It is like it is on a schedule.

I updated firmware to 01.03.06 yesterday and flights today went really well.  Last flight 20 min. and no loss of app.  Shot 4K video and went out to around 1000 ft in 4 different directions and all went well.  Area id suburb with fairly large yards.
2017-4-12
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-4-12 12:46
I updated firmware to 01.03.06 yesterday and flights today went really well.  Last flight 20 min. and no loss of app.  Shot 4K video and went out to around 1000 ft in 4 different directions and all went well.  Area id suburb with fairly large yards.

I am finding the same thing.  App is rock stable now.
2017-4-12
Use props
fans8ffffb8d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 458904 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I have a Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge. Was using the drone last weekend. Today the app is crashing every single time. What's going on??
2017-4-22
Use props
fans8ffffb8d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 458904 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

fans8ffffb8d Posted at 2017-4-22 22:21
I have a Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge. Was using the drone last weekend. Today the app is crashing every single time. What's going on??

Have the Galaxy S7 Edge.  Android 7. DJI Go 4 4.0.7  Cannot start the app.  Keeps crashing!
2017-4-23
Use props
Samoth
lvl.3
Belgium

fans8ffffb8d Posted at 2017-4-23 01:05
Have the Galaxy S7 Edge.  Android 7. DJI Go 4 4.0.7  Cannot start the app.  Keeps crashing!

Try to clear the cache. If it doesn't work, try to uninstall and reinstall.

I have a Oneplus 3T also with android 7 (7.1.1) and it doesn't crash at launch.
I can't say if it crashes while flying because I haven't flawn for a while (because of the weather)
2017-4-23
Use props
fans46a83319
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Samoth Posted at 2017-4-23 03:14
Try to clear the cache. If it doesn't work, try to uninstall and reinstall.

I have a Oneplus 3T also with android 7 (7.1.1) and it doesn't crash at launch.

Although I am a Phantom 3 advanced flyer, my S6 was ok on Android 6 (Marshmallow) but when I upgraded to Android 7 (Nougat), during flying my phone began to restart during a flight.

I have said this in another thread about solving the phone restart problem, but will also raise it here.  Just as a point I  think that when a problem like this occurs then the responsibility should be shared between DJI and Samsung.  Only by the two working together can a problem like this be fixed.  However after saying that, Samsung provide an Android operating system to allow many areas of software and hardware to be functional.  Generally the software houses who write apps for android devices test out the apps in there own right for them to work properly on the appropriate operating system.  So I can side up a bit with Samsung and maybe it should be DJI doing the fix, even if it means them talking to Samsung.

People have said that a recent update from Samsung may have fixed the problem.  I would guess that Samsung have not deliberately provided a fix for the DJI  phone restart problem, more so that a recent update had happened to fix the problem more by chance.  Even so we are still not sure that this has actually fixed the problem.

I am having the same problem with my Samsung S6  in the same way as others are having with their S7 phones.  I think though I might have solved the problem.  With the S6 and S7 the problem of the phone restarting appeared to occur after updating from Marshmallow to Nougat.  There were some reports that nougat was a more demanding operating system and could causing the device to overheat.  I did notice during flying that the phone got hot.  Going down this line I decided to see what could be done to reduce overheating.  This is what I did.

1. Reduced brightness
2. Closed down any background apps.
3. Turn off Wi-Fi.
4. Turn on POWER SAVING. I chose medium power saving mode, -10% brightness, Speed limiter on, Background network usage  (off).

When I fly under these conditions, as yet I haven't noticed the phone restarting.  If I stabbed a guess as to what was the most important change I made it would probably be turning on the CPU speed limiter.  Reducing the CPU speed should allow the processor to run cooler and thus prevent the phone from shutting down if overheating is the issue.

I would be interested if others with this problem could try these settings and report back. To me it was an easier fix than having to downgrade to marshmallow.
2017-6-29
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-20 03:06
We will keep improving our DJI GO app and thank you for your feedback.
As for now, we would suggest you to use a recommended device.
Thank you for your understanding.

I have two recommended devices -- iPhone7+ and iPad Mini 4 -- both with the maximum storage capacity and lots of free space.  And BOTH have experienced these same problems.  It's obviously not just about the devices.
2017-6-29
Use props
fans37b73be4
New

United States

Habe read most of posts...having similar probs...app keeps crashing 2 or 3 times during 20 mins flight still have manual control, but sometimes don't know where it is...pause and hovered while app restarts (10-15 secs) not critical, but VERY annoying!
2017-6-29
Use props
djiuser_VcRYchr
New

Brazil

One plus A3000. Same issue. All up to date
2018-1-17
Use props
djiuser_CbfiJvy
lvl.2
Argentina

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-19 01:38
Since there are plenty of device type or model, we cannot make sure all the devices to be compatible with DJI GO app. And we are keep improving DJI GO.
Could you please clarify what mobile device you are using?

Is that an official answer? hahaha are a joke!
2018-1-19
Use props
djiuser_CbfiJvy
lvl.2
Argentina

FW .700 go4 ​​4.1.3, no more problems no more dji put in our flights, the rest for PM
2018-1-19
Use props
Kevin_d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4219 ft
United States

CB and Ham radio generally don't operate on the same frequencies as the Mavic. While some ham radio may be up in the GHz range this is pretty rare. Most is from 3 to maybe 420 MHz. CB is just around 27 MHz. If good engineering practices were used then the Mavic should not be susceptible to these services.

I think the more likely cause of the problem is poor RF design that is susceptible to signals from cell towers, home and office wifi, telephones and many other devices that operate at 2.4 GHz - including some garage remote controllers. DJI selected just about the noisiest, least controlled part of the RF spectrum for a critical function like command and control of a remotely operated aerial device.

Interfere with my wifi signal and I lose Internet for a few minutes. Interfere with the signal to my drone (at the RC or at the drone) and I lose control $1K+ device. Money and safety at issue.

Constantly putting the blame on the user reduces pressure on the company to solve problems like these unexplained disconnects, loss of signal and loss of drone. What happens then? Instead of fixing what they have deployed already they come out with something new.

Many people have said that the last two versions of DJI Go 4 have been a real problem. Has that been acknowledged by DJI? Have the pulled the bad code? Have they posted fixed code? How many drones need to be sacrificed - how many people's fun smashed - before someone at DJI takes notice and fixes the problem?

DJI:

Is there a problem with DJI Go 4? Yes or no.

Is there a problem with current firmware releases on the drone, batteries, charger, or RC? Yes or no.

Only DJI can really answer. The rest of us can just share our experiences. Many come to a forum to report problems. Many who don't have problems probably rarely visit the forum and are happily flying their drones.
2018-1-19
Use props
nnote
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1358048 ft
United States

Im on the Nexus 6P, a recommended device....
2 crashes per battery atleast. I can't enjoy my Mavic, I can't use it as it's meant to be used. I can't fly with any confidence that it's actually going to be a drone that does what it's supposed to do.
2018-1-19
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

Guys if you are still having problems, the only way to fix is to roll back the software to another version, before .18.
2018-1-19
Use props
smeier_ch
lvl.2
Switzerland

Kevin_d Posted at 2018-1-19 19:57
CB and Ham radio generally don't operate on the same frequencies as the Mavic. While some ham radio may be up in the GHz range this is pretty rare. Most is from 3 to maybe 420 MHz. CB is just around 27 MHz. If good engineering practices were used then the Mavic should not be susceptible to these services.

I think the more likely cause of the problem is poor RF design that is susceptible to signals from cell towers, home and office wifi, telephones and many other devices that operate at 2.4 GHz - including some garage remote controllers. DJI selected just about the noisiest, least controlled part of the RF spectrum for a critical function like command and control of a remotely operated aerial device.

Bravo.

It's disgusting and a real shame for DJI.
2018-1-20
Use props
spacecase
lvl.1

United States

I just bought a ipad mini because of the countless upset owners I kept reading about, like here. Software issues associated with android or what ever, really? As a company you should provided for the two most accepted computer platforms.  It was 100 bucks for the ipad so thats not a big deal. If you think about it the soft ware is the real brains of this thing. You want a good cpu.

Get rid of the GO app and GO 4 app altogether just make it one, thats really confusing. Im using GO 4 now, should I, dont even know.....
2018-1-24
Use props
ri0grand
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17956 ft
United States

Kevin_d Posted at 2018-1-19 19:57
CB and Ham radio generally don't operate on the same frequencies as the Mavic. While some ham radio may be up in the GHz range this is pretty rare. Most is from 3 to maybe 420 MHz. CB is just around 27 MHz. If good engineering practices were used then the Mavic should not be susceptible to these services.

Actually the RF design is pretty impressive.  It is operating in a heavily used and congested spectrum.  In those conditions the system operates quite well.

Of course they designed it to work in unlicensed spectrum that is available to the public.  Designing to be used in a licensed band would not be practical for many reasons.

What band would you have chosen if you were designing a product for the consumer market?

2018-1-24
Use props
Kevin_d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4219 ft
United States

ri0grand Posted at 2018-1-24 21:16
Actually the RF design is pretty impressive.  It is operating in a heavily used and congested spectrum.  In those conditions the system operates quite well.

Of course they designed it to work in unlicensed spectrum that is available to the public.  Designing to be used in a licensed band would not be practical for many reasons.

I don't know. I'm not an RF engineer and I don't know what spectrum is open for use. Maybe 5 GHz which is a bit less congested? Point is, this is something that reaches hundreds of feet into the air and can travel a few miles away - intentionally or not. You'd think control would be failsafe. Evidence shows different.
2018-1-25
Use props
ri0grand
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17956 ft
United States

Kevin_d Posted at 2018-1-25 16:45
I don't know. I'm not an RF engineer and I don't know what spectrum is open for use. Maybe 5 GHz which is a bit less congested? Point is, this is something that reaches hundreds of feet into the air and can travel a few miles away - intentionally or not. You'd think control would be failsafe. Evidence shows different.

5GHz is less congested in dense areas like apartment buildings and public wifi areas.  The problem is the range is less than 2.4 GHz.  As fa as 2.4 GHz congestion goes, open areas away from dense urban areas are pretty clean. .  For the dense urban flyers its a different story with WiFi from apartments, businesses and public WiFi.  As an example if you use 2.4GHz for wifi in a home in a suburban area it works pretty well.  In high density condos/apartments, airports, dormitories, stadiums and such 2.4Ghz is almost unusable do to congestion,  I think its pretty impressive we can get a good video link at 3 miles+  on 2.4 GHz!  That said there is always risk in unlicensed spectrum.  You can and will fly into an areas with heavy interference sometimes.  The system does give you warning of that at least.  I think the failsafe features work fairly well if you are mindful of all the dependencies.  Of course there can be bugs, defects and mechanical failures.  I think many times pilots do not anticipate all possible factors in failsafe scenarios.  Once things start to go wrong battery life becomes the determining factor.  In some places I fly, I see consistent RF interference in certain locations.  I make note of those and avoid flying through them.  Interference can come from a variety of sources.  Some not always so obvious.  I have seen people dismiss the interference warnings on their controllers because they dont think there is an obvious source.  Trust the system if it says there is interference.  Take all the alerts seriously.  
2018-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules