6700 67 2015-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

arunmehta Posted at 2015-3-3 16:01
Abe,
You have just as much right to that airspace as that Seti dish owner. I am surprised that SETI  ...

This is so the truth as the owner of any said property has no rights to the air space above ones home That's real estate 101..

Abe we need to get yah a new bird asap so you can continue your work !!
I want you to check into the price of just a new air craft ad get back to us on this please.. I would be willing to donate 500.00 for you to start the process of getting a new air craft.

Im not joking about stuff like this ...Its pay it forward time for a bud is all..
Man I wish this forum had a person message option... Hello DJI!!

Or at least a way for members here to leave info in their profile signature..
2015-3-3
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

So I got an idea if everyone here would pay pal donate 10 bucks if that on top of my initial 500.00 we would have him back in the air in no time..

As a community this should not be hard to get one of the good guys back in the air asap!!
What yah all think?
2015-3-3
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

I wish you all the luck in raising funds...Honorable intentions...However, you should be  looking at FAA Regulations not Real Estate 101. In Canada it is not only common courtesy but also Federal Aviation Law regarding landowner contact .  Besides, in my part of the country if I didn't  talk to the land owner and get their permission it would probably be shot at. I understand there is a new sport springing up now involving our UAVs and shotguns...

2015-3-3
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-4 03:31
So I got an idea if everyone here would pay pal donate 10 bucks if that on top of my initial 500.00  ...

If someone shoots down a quadcopter, they are breaking the law and can be arrested and sued.  It's as simple as that. Because the FAA is involved that makes these flying contraptions aircraft and while someone may feel justified that is the same as shooting at any other aircraft

I wish DJI would figure out how to put the card in a protected enclosure.  I have lost one through a crash with a Phantom and I feel just like Abe about losing that card.

I know this is opening a can of worms because at some point we will all be in Abe's place, but I agree with the Colonel.  Abe is important to this board and I will chip in $100.  Heck Abe, that and the Colonel might fix your Inspire.  Just a thought.  Let me know what you think.
2015-3-3
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you to both the Colonel and leostrat. I am looking into both approaches -- repair and replacement. I can't stress enough how honored and humbled I am at your kind offer to help pay to get me back into action. But of course I cannot accept your money. I am fortunate enough to be able to absorb the loss and hopefully get back in the air sometime soon. I knew going in that this would be an expensive hobby and that I was risking a substantial loss if I got into it. RC aircraft rarely retire with happy endings.

I have asked DJI if it is possible to just purchase what was lost -- the aircraft and camera -- and they have promised to look into it. I'm sure they are still struggling to meet demand for new orders and fulfilling my request may be a low priority, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. I haven't quite figured out how to find out if my Inspire's remains are repairable. I went to the support site hoping there would be directions on what to do but maybe I just need to call DJI's LA office.
2015-3-3
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jhogge Posted at 2015-3-4 00:33
Abe - I crashed my Inspire pretty bad and figured the repair price would be close to the purchase pr ...

That's great to hear, jhogge! I hope I have a similar result!
2015-3-3
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

You guys are not totally correct about airspace ownership. Private airstrips have a legal right to that airspace, as do quarries. Also mines have a right to airspace and can reserve a no fly zone for safety and security reasons. While it may not be an actual title to the airspace it is just another level to the illusion of ownership. An example would be... Pay off your mortgage you now have clear title, refuse to pay your property tax and see who actually OWNES the land.
2015-3-3
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Abe Posted at 2015-3-4 06:18
Thank you to both the Colonel and leostrat. I am looking into both approaches -- repair and replacem ...

You know this Abe you get into a pinch let me know ok no way your staying grounded for long Abe! Be an honor too assist don't hesitiate if repairs get too steep..Ok.. Serious on that hit me up!

NP
2015-3-3
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-4 09:42
You guys are not totally correct about airspace ownership. Private airstrips have a legal right to t ...

Average homeowner with a really red neck does not have right to air space above his property though ..Great points and the more added to the topic the better for all to gear up for this summer ahead..TY
Agreed FAA would climb all over said persons for firing at a flying vehicle lets hope!
2015-3-3
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

You are dead right , the average home owner doesn't have any rights. But I will say that out here on Shuswap Lake in BC, it's western justice all the way. The closest cop shop is a 45 minute drive so some folks just naturally assume the alpha role. That said, if someone around here shoots my drone I will open a can of whoop ass on em!
2015-3-3
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

The missing card is quite a mystery Abe.  Well...what is it that they say about discretion and valor?

I hope you are flying one way or another very soon
2015-3-4
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

So I got an idea if everyone here would pay pal donate 10 bucks if that on top of my initial 500.00  ...

I would up for that

2015-3-4
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

daninperth Posted at 2015-3-4 16:56
The missing card is quite a mystery Abe.  Well...what is it that they say about discretion and valor ...

Thank you, daninperth. My Inspire is boxed up and ready to ship for repairs. Hopefully in a month or so its broken body will be reborn anew.
2015-3-4
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-3-4 01:38
The walkera ? Are you serious? A replacement for the inspire , it isn't even close to being in the ...

I merely was offering a suggestion for something slightly cheaper/less expensive since Abe expressed that to shell out almost $3000 again would be difficult that's all, As for the voyager and "It's league"  I will find out since I will be receiving mine by the end of the month and then I will compare. Thanx Bro
2015-3-4
Use props
mani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2233904 ft
  • >>>
Romania

People like you make me feel honoured to be a part of this forum. Beautiful gesture, if Abe will accept our help I will gladly participate also.
2015-3-4
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

CrabHawk Posted at 2015-3-5 00:05
I merely was offering a suggestion for something slightly cheaper/less expensive since Abe express ...

When I was waiting for my Inspire to arrive I checked out the Walkera option, but got scared off by their Website, which looked only half finished. My concern was that the product might be in a similar condition. I'll be very interested in your experience when you receive it. Please let us know.
2015-3-4
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-4 12:52
You are dead right , the average home owner doesn't have any rights. But I will say that out here on ...

Im with yah !!
2015-3-4
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Abe, here is my email buddy write it down I will remove it in 2 hours of placing it here. Get to me bud if needed .I wasnt kidding if things get real costly hit me up lets get you back in the air!

2015-3-4
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

bubo_bubo Posted at 2015-3-3 10:58
Glad you got it back Abe.

Given what some have reported in DJI repair costs I wouldnt give up hope  ...

I would agree I think they bashed it up on poor ol abe.  thats kinda uncalled for.
2015-3-4
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-5 08:11
Abe, here is my email buddy write it down I will remove it in 2 hours of placing it here. Get to me  ...

Thank you, Colonel. You're a very generous person and I look forward to someday making your acquaintance. I wasn't online most of the day yesterday so I missed your address. But that's OK. My Inspire is now enroute to DJI for repairs and I feel confident I can deal with the economic fallout of my mishap. The support of you and many others on this forum has been truly inspiring (no pun intended!).
2015-3-5
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

dennis@aerialpe Posted at 2015-3-5 08:13
I would agree I think they bashed it up on poor ol abe.  thats kinda uncalled for.

I agree, he was unduly chastised. We all have unfortunate times. I wish him well.
2015-3-5
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

CrabHawk Posted at 2015-3-5 00:05
I merely was offering a suggestion for something slightly cheaper/less expensive since Abe express ...

Very well then , see Yer point . $$ I did like the retracts on the walkera, just not sure how dedicated and backed by the manufacturer they are .. Firmware , upgrades , parts etc ....
2015-3-5
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Abe Posted at 2015-3-5 23:10
Thank you, Colonel. You're a very generous person and I look forward to someday making your acquai ...

Like wise Suh!!
2015-3-7
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad that you retrieved it without any legal issues. If sustained that amount of damage the SD Card may have popped out when it hit?? I have a Phantom 2 Vision that I really like, very easy to fly and you can put 46 mm filters on the camera. I did have a Vision+ and you cannot put any filters on it which is a real problem for Video or Photography. The other thing with it is that it was way to responsive and fast with the response from the controller. This made it very difficult to fly in tight areas. I had to put it into the ground a couple of times, it was the ground or the trees. I sold it before I destroyed it. I have an Inspire that I have not flown yet due to the wonderful weather that we have had in New England this Winter. I have read a couple of posts  that indicated that the Inspire is very quick also like the Vision +. I believe there was a comment that it is possible to slow things down in the Pilot App. I hope so. I intend to fly it for the first time in avery large open field with no obstructions and see how it responds. If I am comfortable I will leave it as is. If not and it is not something that I can adjust in the Pilot Program I will sell it and stick with my Phantom 2 Vision, good old reliable and predictable.
2015-3-7
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-3-8 06:13
Glad that you retrieved it without any legal issues. If sustained that amount of damage the SD Card  ...

I think you'll find the Inspire to be easier to fly than the Phantom. It's larger and heavier, so it's not as affected by wind. Also, I find its responsiveness to the remote control is a bit more predictable than the Phantom. What makes the Inspire a bit scary for beginners is the unusually common and unpredictable loss of GPS, which puts it in ATTI mode and requires more skill to fly. Mine is getting repaired right now, of course, so I don't know if the latest firmware fully addressed that problem. But maybe it did because my last flight — before it's unfortunate end — had the latest firmware and did not lose GPS signal at all.

As for legal issues, SRI turned it over to the Stanford University security, and that's where I picked it up. The SU security told me SRI had no interest in making a big deal about it, although he did say mine was the second drone to be fished out of the dish in the past couple of months. The fact is that there are no charges they could have pressed. The park is open to the public and there are no restrictions on RC aircraft posted anywhere onsite or online. What surprised me most was that from the time I finally connected with someone at SRI until the Inspire was back in my hands, only two hours had passed. Made me wonder if they had anything else to do that day :-)

2015-3-8
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-4 03:25
This is so the truth as the owner of any said property has no rights to the air space above ones h ...

You, Colonel, are a gentleman and a scholar. <tipping my hat>
2015-3-9
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Abe Posted at 2015-3-9 11:45
I think you'll find the Inspire to be easier to fly than the Phantom. It's larger and heavier, so i ...

Abe, thanks for your input it makes me feel a bit more comfortable. I am not a beginner and fly in ATI Mode quite often. Many times I will push the limit of the Phantom and it will enter RTH Mode and as soon as I have it in sight I will take it back in ATI Mode and continue flying. Your comment is reassuring. I don't know when we will see the ground here in New England so I can fly my Inspire.

As far as your experience with the University I am glad that it went well. I guess the Dish was a lot beefier than the Inspire and there was no damage. The second one in a short period of time. Does the Dish have a Target on it? Please let us know how your repair experience goes. Hope to see you in the air again soon my friend.
2015-3-9
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

It takes a village and this community has a lot of great folks!
A lot!!!

Any time if needed Abe can count on my assistance he was one of the first here to take to the air.. Costs can go crazy for repairs lets hope for the best
Safe flying Gents!
I will be dammed if I see him grounded to long !
2015-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules