Horizon tilt (yeah, how original...)
21507 298 2017-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
betonven
lvl.2
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-4-27 06:14
Wait.. So you got a firmware update that isn't available to the public yet and it actually fixes the horizon tilt issue?????????

According to Natalia's post, "it might help", so I wouldn't be over-optimistic.

In any case, the P4P currently is useless to me, I spend about 22 out of the 25 available flight minutes trying with C2 and the right dial to put it to be somehow horizontal, sometimes this is working, until it relapses within one minute or so. Sorry, I cannot work like this, I'll wait for a couple of weeks to see if the firmware actually does anything about it and if not, I'll return it for a refund.

Fantastic drone, but not if you want to do video.
2017-4-27
Use props
SM-17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 179288 ft
Netherlands

I think Natalia was on vacation leave today
2017-4-27
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-25 03:19
For horizon issue, could you please provide me your DJI account (an e-mail address).
For the situation you described, we'll have a try tomorrow and get back to you.

So- now people have to "private message" a moderator on the discussion boards to MAYBE get an unannounced firmware update that MIGHT fix the horizon tilt problem? Natalia - you've GOT to be kidding me! DJI can't actually release this firmware fix immediately ?
2017-4-27
Use props
bassistas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 355377 ft
Greece

bassistas Posted at 2017-4-25 19:06
Hello guys, I recently purchased a phantom 4 pro new from Amazon but I have the camera shake problem and the tilted horizon which is kinda fixed with the adjust gimbal roll function. Is my P4Pro faulty or it can be fixed with a proper calibration?

can anyone reply to my question?
2017-4-27
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-26 02:26
It has been done, please check it again and upgrade it.
Waiting to hear back from you for the performance after upgrading, thanks.

Natalie,

I sent you a PM with my DJI email.  Please send me link and instructions for the beta firmware with the Gimbal Horizon tilt fix.  I am having constant issue with gimbal tilt when flying sideways or forward when there is wind and even when hovering if wind is from the right or left side of aircraft.  THANKS!
2017-4-27
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

bassistas Posted at 2017-4-27 15:23

All I can tell you is that if you can live with how it is, just stay with it. You never know what problems your replacement might have. In my case, I'm going through my third Phantom 4 Pro and still facing terrible problems, different each time. It's funny for a product that costed me 1500$ to have literally ZERO quality control.
From what I've seen, horizon tilt is pretty standard thing (all P4Ps have it, just some more than others), so you can assume it won't be fixed with a replacement. About the camera shake, well, that's different. What do you mean by shake? Is it creating jello? Can you somehow capture it in video to show us? Does it happen continuously or only when tilted?

Xairetismous stin patrida!
2017-4-27
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

bassistas Posted at 2017-4-27 15:23

I fully agree with betonven. He got 3 P4Ps and none of them is without problems. I got 4 of them and all of them have issues (some minor and some major) with gimbal/camera/video.

Xairetismous
2017-4-27
Use props
lienbacher
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1068337 ft
Austria

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-4-27 06:14
Wait.. So you got a firmware update that isn't available to the public yet and it actually fixes the horizon tilt issue?????????

Basically Yes. It is a beta firmware. My Horizon issues are essentially gone. Everytime I switch it on I'm actually looking at the camera, tilting the drone, waiting for the gimbal to tilt. But it does not.
2017-4-28
Use props
lienbacher
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1068337 ft
Austria

bassistas Posted at 2017-4-25 19:06
Hello guys, I recently purchased a phantom 4 pro new from Amazon but I have the camera shake problem and the tilted horizon which is kinda fixed with the adjust gimbal roll function. Is my P4Pro faulty or it can be fixed with a proper calibration?

Your P4P is fine. Calibration wont solve your issues, but Firmware updates eventually will. I personally have not run into the camera shake issue and the beta-firmware I am currently testing seems to have the horizon fixed.
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

betonven Posted at 2017-4-26 08:56
Thanks Natalia, I sent you my account with Personal Message.

I informed the engineers to upload the firmware to you, please check it later and upgrade it, then keep us posted.
2017-4-28
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-28 03:44
I informed the engineers to upload the firmware to you, please check it later and upgrade it, then keep us posted.

Natalia- I also sent you a pm.  Can you do the same for me?
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

lienbacher Posted at 2017-4-26 04:15
Thank you Natalia!

Just installed, rebooted and tilted the drone. I'm a little bit stunned, the horizon seems to be rock steady level with the indoor test I described earlier - put drone on ground with horizontal lines visible, tilt drone till shortly before gimbal limit, lines stay absolutely straight and I took my time to look for horizon shift!

Thank you so much for your update, we are glad to hear about the good new.
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Floreto Posted at 2017-4-26 09:20
I have the camera tilting problem as well, new P4P+ less than 5 months old, I'd send it in to be fixed but I have no confidence that it's a problem DJI can fix and I don't have 2 or 3 months to wait to find out.

We are very sorry about your experience, it takes some time to figure out where the problem exists, then get it fixed.
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

UltraDan Posted at 2017-4-27 05:26
How do I Pm you Natalia?

Click on " Personal Message " under my avatar, you can write the message to me.
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

betonven Posted at 2017-4-27 05:33
@DJI Natalia

Still haven't received anything.

Sorry, I was not available yesterday, I've transferred the accounts I received to the engineers already, thanks for your patience.
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

SM-17 Posted at 2017-4-27 11:15
I think Natalia was on vacation leave today

Yes, I was not available yesterday, I've forwarded your account to the engineers, please connect the drone to assistant and upgrade it.
2017-4-28
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-28 03:50
Sorry, I was not available yesterday, I've transferred the accounts I received to the engineers already, thanks for your patience.

Quick question- do we just turn on the craft and GO as usual and the update will appear?
Thanks.
2017-4-28
Use props
SM-17
Second Officer
Netherlands

@DJI Natalia,

Did you get mu msg with my email pls?

Thanks
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

RonHarper Posted at 2017-4-27 13:29
So- now people have to "private message" a moderator on the discussion boards to MAYBE get an unannounced firmware update that MIGHT fix the horizon tilt problem? Natalia - you've GOT to be kidding me! DJI can't actually release this firmware fix immediately ?

Sorry I have not received the information when a new firmware will be released.
For the horizon issue, we could try to upgrade the firmware to see whether it helps.
2017-4-28
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

Natalia- thank you for helping with this. It is MUCH appreciated.

I'm assuming once they push out the upgrade to me, I can upgrade via my iPhone as I normally would? Or do I need to use Assistant?
2017-4-28
Use props
SM-17
Second Officer
Netherlands

We posted at almost the same time,

Thanks a lot
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-4-27 17:22
Natalie,

I sent you a PM with my DJI email.  Please send me link and instructions for the beta firmware with the Gimbal Horizon tilt fix.  I am having constant issue with gimbal tilt when flying sideways or forward when there is wind and even when hovering if wind is from the right or left side of aircraft.  THANKS!

I received it and forwarded it to the engineers, please connect your drone to Assistant 2 later to upgrade it, then keep us posted, thanks.
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

RonHarper Posted at 2017-4-28 03:53
Quick question- do we just turn on the craft and GO as usual and the update will appear?
Thanks.

Yes, you can upgrade it through Assistant 2 as well.
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

RonHarper Posted at 2017-4-28 03:45
Natalia- I also sent you a pm.  Can you do the same for me?

Yes, I have replied your PM, please check it later, then upgrade the firmware and keep us posted, thanks.
2017-4-28
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

Just want to say: THANK YOU Natalia.
2017-4-28
Use props
bassistas
lvl.3
Greece

betonven Posted at 2017-4-27 18:27
All I can tell you is that if you can live with how it is, just stay with it. You never know what problems your replacement might have. In my case, I'm going through my third Phantom 4 Pro and still facing terrible problems, different each time. It's funny for a product that costed me 1500$ to have literally ZERO quality control.
From what I've seen, horizon tilt is pretty standard thing (all P4Ps have it, just some more than others), so you can assume it won't be fixed with a replacement. About the camera shake, well, that's different. What do you mean by shake? Is it creating jello? Can you somehow capture it in video to show us? Does it happen continuously or only when tilted?

So its better to stay with what I have. I am also using the drone for photogrammetry work and I cant wait a month or more waiting for a replacement.  I hope Natalia also send to me  the beta firmware to test on my P4PRO and see how it reacts. As for the camera shake its not a jello effect. Its like a vibration and its not continuous. Its more pronounced when on full throttle, I'll try to upload a youtube video to show how it is exactly.
2017-4-28
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-28 03:50

I still got nothing. Should I be able to see it in the DJIAssistant by now?
2017-4-28
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

I haven't had the chance to check yet. I was going to try in about two more hours.  I'm hoping a notification will pop up when I connect.
2017-4-28
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

lienbacher Posted at 2017-4-28 01:49
Your P4P is fine. Calibration wont solve your issues, but Firmware updates eventually will. I personally have not run into the camera shake issue and the beta-firmware I am currently testing seems to have the horizon fixed.

Have you had the chance to test it extensively yet? Like high enough where you can see the horizon for overwater where you can definitely tell if it is crooked even with a slight bit of wind?
2017-4-28
Use props
yannick_c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242946 ft
France

Got the chance to test that beta firmware : Horizon is now perfect whatever the movements of the drone are (full speed sideway, full speed sideway + rotation), forward, backward, rotation only. Wind was around 10-15 km/h

Here is a exemple Before/After with the more problematic move (full speed sideway). First part was with the firmware 1.3.0418 (the one from March), 2nd part with the beta one.

2017-4-28
Use props
SM-17
Second Officer
Malta

Looks perfect, still waiting for mine to appear in assistant 2. But patience is a virtue
2017-4-28
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

Mine still hasn't come through yet either. I'm guessing Monday is when it will come through.
2017-4-28
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

After having read the thread below I wouldn't want to try a beta version.
That was related to P4 and not P4P but still...
Seems like some people got stuck with a beta version for good:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-89940-1-1.html
2017-4-28
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

Eric: holy CRAP!! That's awful. DJI put beta firmware on their devices and locked them down, preventing them from using official firmware/downgrading/etc.
That is beyond words. Disgusting behavior on DJI's part of that is true.
2017-4-28
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

For what it's worth- I never received the update.
2017-4-28
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

yannick_c Posted at 2017-4-28 09:26
Got the chance to test that beta firmware : Horizon is now perfect whatever the movements of the drone are (full speed sideway, full speed sideway + rotation), forward, backward, rotation only. Wind was around 10-15 km/h

Here is a exemple Before/After with the more problematic move (full speed sideway). First part was with the firmware 1.3.0418 (the one from March), 2nd part with the beta one.

Yannick,

When you connect your P4Pro to DJI Assistant, what firmware version does it now say you have installed?  In other words, what is the version number of the beta firmware you are testing that you indicate fixes the tilting gimbal during sideways flight? Thanks in advance for the info.
2017-4-28
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

lienbacher Posted at 2017-4-28 01:49

Lienbacher,

What is the version number of the beta firmware you are testing that you indicate fixes the tilted horizon issue during flight as reported by DJI Assistant 2? I am awaiting DJI engineers to download the beta to my account and I want to know what firmware version I should be looking for.  Thanks.
2017-4-28
Use props
bassistas
lvl.3
Greece

betonven Posted at 2017-4-27 18:27

I just uploaded a sample that shows this weird  shake problem. Whats your opinion? is it a fault or a bad calibration? in this video I have it in S mode but it does the same in other modes also. Sometimes its steady and sometimes shakes a lot.

na doun kai ligo oi ksenoi ta meri mas

2017-4-28
Use props
fallsilent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336709 ft
Canada

RonHarper Posted at 2017-4-28 11:12
Eric: holy CRAP!! That's awful. DJI put beta firmware on their devices and locked them down, preventing them from using official firmware/downgrading/etc.
That is beyond words. Disgusting behavior on DJI's part of that is true.

Come on dude! Really? Do  you honestly think DJI would do that? How is that in their best interest? The problem is people not knowing what they are doing when it comes to upgrading/downgrading. It's usually a case of sub-par outdated hardware and people who think their 5 year old PC's running Windoze 7 will cut it.

Here is a shot of my DJI Assistant 2 after installing the new beta.
IMG_2.jpg
2017-4-28
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

bassistas Posted at 2017-4-28 15:33
I just uploaded a sample that shows this weird  shake problem. Whats your opinion? is it a fault or a bad calibration? in this video I have it in S mode but it does the same in other modes also. Sometimes its steady and sometimes shakes a lot.

Nice video, Kozani looks good!

I had a similar problem with my previous replacement, and took me a long time to -possibly- identify what it was. I would recommend you to do the following, in the following order:

1. Check if this happens also in lower speeds. It looks you're quite high, and probably the wind is more intense than what you were feeling on the ground. Wind+highspeed, well, don't expect miracles, it's just a (not so impressive) gimbal after all. If it just does it in high speed with wind, you're fine, just be more careful during shooting.

2. Check if it happens when your drone is on the ground (if you see the camera shaking). If yes, just return it for a replacement/refund without any second thoughts.

3. If not, they you might be dealing with a balance issue,  which can mean two things:
a. In my case, the plastic white colored prop connectors on one of the motors was loose, wiggling. You just need a 1.5mm Allen wrench to tighten it (careful, don't overdo it, a loose connector is better than a broken one!).

b. If after the above you still see it in normal speeds and winds, then you should check for propeller imbalance. The easiest way, just install your second set of props and compare. The hard way, get a device to check your balance (around 30$ in Amazon), and if unbalanced just correct it.

4. Well, there's not really any 4, if you aren't satisfied with your drone, ask for a replacement. If your replacement is @$%@ again, then well, welcome to the club...
2017-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules