Horizon tilt (yeah, how original...)
21512 298 2017-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
betonven
lvl.2
United States

Back to the main topic, I still haven't received any signs from that miraculous firmware. However, to be honest, after reading #73, I'm not sure I should even try that if it at some point appears in my DJI Assistant. It would be good if somebody from DJI clarified for us whether by installing a beta firmware you're 'stuck' with that until a new one comes out.
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

betonven Posted at 2017-4-28 20:02
Back to the main topic, I still haven't received any signs from that miraculous firmware. However, to be honest, after reading #73, I'm not sure I should even try that if it at some point appears in my DJI Assistant. It would be good if somebody from DJI clarified for us whether by installing a beta firmware you're 'stuck' with that until a new one comes out.

Did you receive the notification? I asked the engineers to upload it again for you.
Please make sure you login with your account, thanks.
2017-5-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-4-28 13:43
Yannick,

When you connect your P4Pro to DJI Assistant, what firmware version does it now say you have installed?  In other words, what is the version number of the beta firmware you are testing that you indicate fixes the tilting gimbal during sideways flight? Thanks in advance for the info.

May I know you receive it or not? I asked the engineers to do it again for you today.
2017-5-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

SM-17 Posted at 2017-4-28 09:48
Looks perfect, still waiting for mine to appear in assistant 2. But patience is a virtue

I asked the engineers to upload it again for you, please check whether you could receive the notification, thanks.
2017-5-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

RonHarper Posted at 2017-4-28 13:08
For what it's worth- I never received the update.

Sorry about it, I asked the engineers to upload it for you again, would you please check again? thanks.
2017-5-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

yannick_c Posted at 2017-4-28 09:26
Got the chance to test that beta firmware : Horizon is now perfect whatever the movements of the drone are (full speed sideway, full speed sideway + rotation), forward, backward, rotation only. Wind was around 10-15 km/h

Here is a exemple Before/After with the more problematic move (full speed sideway). First part was with the firmware 1.3.0418 (the one from March), 2nd part with the beta one.

Thank you very much for your feedback, glad to know it performs fine.
2017-5-2
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

Just got the update. Thanks Natalia. I'll test it in the next couple of days (supposed to be windy for the next 72hrs and I'll test it after the wind dies down). Thanks again. If anyone else who has the update had a chance to test it, please chime in.
2017-5-2
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-2 01:26
May I know you receive it or not? I asked the engineers to do it again for you today.

Natalia - the beta firmware V01.03.0510 dated 19 APR 2017 showed up today when I checked for firmware updates with my P4Pro connected to my PC using DJI Assistant 2, and I was able to install it with no problems (see attached screen capture).  Thank you VERY MUCH for asking your engineers to resend it to my account! Your efforts are very much appreciated.

Early hand-held testing with beta firmware V01.03.0510 shows a marked improvement in my P4Pro gimbal maintaining a perfectly level horizon when I tilt the aircraft up to a 45 degree angle to either the left or right. EXCELLENT!!

With the previous (and current official release) firmware V01.03.0509 dated 12APR2017, the gimbal would slowly tilt about 5 degrees to the left when I tilted the P4Pro to the right, and the gimbal would slowly tilt about 5 degrees to the right when I tilted the P4Pro to the left. This behavior explains, I believe, why the P4Pro gimbal horizon becomes tilted with the current 0509 release firmware when flying sideways in either direction OR when hovering or flying forward with wind coming from the left or right side of the aircraft.  In all of these scenarios, the P4Pro aircraft must tilt to the left or right to maintain position or fly straight.

More rigorous actual flight testing will have to wait until tomorrow. It's dark in Texas, USA now.

Screen Save from DJI Assistant 2

Screen Save from DJI Assistant 2
2017-5-2
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-2 01:28
Sorry about it, I asked the engineers to upload it for you again, would you please check again? thanks.

Natalia- early testing I did this evening shows a big improvement!! Thank you!

One bug I did find though is that the manual gimbal adjustment in the GO4 app (iOS) now doesn't actually work.

If you could report this to engineering before the final release. Thank you.
2017-5-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

RonHarper Posted at 2017-5-2 16:48
Just got the update. Thanks Natalia. I'll test it in the next couple of days (supposed to be windy for the next 72hrs and I'll test it after the wind dies down). Thanks again. If anyone else who has the update had a chance to test it, please chime in.

Glad to hear that, please test it and keep us posted.
2017-5-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-5-2 17:31
Natalia - the beta firmware V01.03.0510 dated 19 APR 2017 showed up today when I checked for firmware updates with my P4Pro connected to my PC using DJI Assistant 2, and I was able to install it with no problems (see attached screen capture).  Thank you VERY MUCH for asking your engineers to resend it to my account! Your efforts are very much appreciated.

Early hand-held testing with beta firmware V01.03.0510 shows a marked improvement in my P4Pro gimbal maintaining a perfectly level horizon when I tilt the aircraft up to a 45 degree angle to either the left or right. EXCELLENT!!

Thank you for the update, glad to hear about it, please have a test and keep us posted.
2017-5-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

RonHarper Posted at 2017-5-2 18:11
Natalia- early testing I did this evening shows a big improvement!! Thank you!

One bug I did find though is that the manual gimbal adjustment in the GO4 app (iOS) now doesn't actually work.

We are happy to hear about the improvement.
What is the model and iOS system for your mobile device?
Have you tried to restart all devices then check again?
2017-5-2
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-2 20:28
We are happy to hear about the improvement.
What is the model and iOS system for your mobile device?
Have you tried to restart all devices then check again?

Hi Natalia- I tried restarting the devices and checking again. Manual adjustment doesn't seem to work. I will try again later today and let you know if it starts working. I am using an iPhone 7 plus with the latest iOS (10.3.1) and the latest version of DJI GO4.

When you manually adjust the gimbal, it shows the adjustment in increments of 0.2 but the camera actually doesn't move at all. Strange.

If you could just report this issue upwards that would be great.
2017-5-3
Use props
Seniorcoca
lvl.1
Flight distance : 71152 ft
Germany

Just updated my bird to the beta fw too.  Update without any problems. Later on I will check for the tilt horizon issue. Also will check ronharpers problem on my android device.
2017-5-3
Use props
fans4159d918
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1574334 ft
Italy

Good morning, my Phantom 4 (STANDARD) for a while has lost the horizon enormously, I stop and get up, but when I share the problem comes up, every now and then in the footsteps the Gimbal makes some jump up and down, I made several calibrations IMU, gimbal And the compass, but the problem is always there, even with the C2 key the problem is there. Please help Natalia please if you can give me a solution to this my problem, i need to work for late May. Very grateful, bye bye.  
Firmware: 01.02.0602
2017-5-3
Use props
Seniorcoca
lvl.1
Germany

Just did the gimbal adjusting on my android after having installed the beta fw and it still works as it should. Couldn't take of to see if the tilt horizon is gone. Hopefully I got my chance tomorrow. Only thing I figured out so far is that I need to adjust the gimbal at 0,3 to get it exactly leveled.
2017-5-3
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

Tried adjusting the horizon manually again- still doesn't work. Also tried it in Litchi and it doesn't work either. Very strange. Maybe it's an iOS bug with the beta firmware.

Having said that- this firmware improves the horizon SO MUCH! It is fantastic! I hope they can squash the manual adjustment bug in iOS and release this as an official update asap.
2017-5-3
Use props
Canenero82
lvl.1
Italy

betonven Posted at 2017-4-28 20:02

Natalia, do you have a beta firmware for my Phantom 4 standard for this horizon problem?
Thank you.
2017-5-3
Use props
Canenero82
lvl.1
Italy

fans4159d918 Posted at 2017-5-3 12:24
Good morning, my Phantom 4 (STANDARD) for a while has lost the horizon enormously, I stop and get up, but when I share the problem comes up, every now and then in the footsteps the Gimbal makes some jump up and down, I made several calibrations IMU, gimbal And the compass, but the problem is always there, even with the C2 key the problem is there. Please help Natalia please if you can give me a solution to this my problem, i need to work for late May. Very grateful, bye bye.  

Natalia, do you have a beta firmware for my Phantom 4 standard for this horizon problem?
Thank you.
2017-5-3
Use props
fansc98c66db
lvl.2
Flight distance : 252402 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have exactly the same problem since the latest firmware update. As well as the horizon shift there is also a loud buzz from the gimbal motor when the drone is tilted to the right. Is this the same problem as it sounds almost as if the motor is fighting against the horizon shift. I see there is a temporary firmware adjustment that could rectify the issue.
2017-5-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans4159d918 Posted at 2017-5-3 12:24

Sorry to hear about that, the firmware for P4P is not compatible with P4.
According to your description, I think the drone needs to be sent in for evaluation.
2017-5-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Canenero82 Posted at 2017-5-3 23:43
Thank you.

Sorry, we do not have.
2017-5-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

RonHarper Posted at 2017-5-3 19:43
Tried adjusting the horizon manually again- still doesn't work. Also tried it in Litchi and it doesn't work either. Very strange. Maybe it's an iOS bug with the beta firmware.

Having said that- this firmware improves the horizon SO MUCH! It is fantastic! I hope they can squash the manual adjustment bug in iOS and release this as an official update asap.

I've forwarded your feedback to the engineers for test, will let you know once I hear from them, thanks for your patience.
2017-5-4
Use props
fansc98c66db
lvl.2
Flight distance : 252402 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Natalia, could you provide me with the gimbal firmware repair as my p4p is experiencing the same issues as described in previous comments. Thanks in advance
2017-5-4
Use props
Seniorcoca
lvl.1
Germany

RonHarper Posted at 2017-5-3 19:43

Today I connected my p4p with my iPad Pro to see if I could reproduce your bug but on my iOS dji go 4 app it worked as good as on my android. Really weird that your won't adjust manually the gimbal roll. Maybe try to reinstall the firmware.
2017-5-4
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

Will do. I'll try reinstall.
2017-5-4
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

Update: Natalia, Seniorcoca:

I did a reinstall and it works PERFECTLY now. Thank you both so much. I'm looking forward to this being non-beta soon.

Natalia- please tell engineering that it works fine after a reinstall and the horizon can be adjusted normally.

Thanks.
2017-5-4
Use props
Nevillejp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 703684 ft
New Zealand

When are you going to release the Phantom 4 firmware that us beta testers tested over 3 months ago????????????????????
2017-5-5
Use props
SM-17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 179288 ft
Netherlands

I beleive you should open a thread asking dji to release phantom 4 firmware, and not hijacking this.

This thread is for p4p horizon issues.
2017-5-5
Use props
Seniorcoca
lvl.1
Germany

SM-17 Posted at 2017-5-5 13:07
I beleive you should open a thread asking dji to release phantom 4 firmware, and not hijacking this.

thats absolutely right.
2017-5-5
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
China

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-2 01:22
Did you receive the notification? I asked the engineers to upload it again for you.
Please make sure you login with your account, thanks.

I'm traveling for the past days so I hadn't any chance to check it. I'll try that in a couple of days and get back to you.
2017-5-5
Use props
Nevillejp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 703684 ft
New Zealand

SM-17 Posted at 2017-5-5 13:07

If you look there is a thread about it but none  of the DJI administrators will even make any sort of comment in that thread and Natalia seems pretty active  in this thread which about a firmware issue so it is sort of related so I thought she might be tempted to make a comment but sadly it's not looking like it at this stage. And  she won't even answer a PM about the subject.
2017-5-6
Use props
fans0770eae0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1065974 ft
United States

Can I get a copy of the beta firmware? I have drifting horizons BAD - just got back from a repair and it's worse than ever. We're talking 35-40 degree tilts
2017-5-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

betonven Posted at 2017-5-5 19:19
I'm traveling for the past days so I hadn't any chance to check it. I'll try that in a couple of days and get back to you.

No problem, waiting to hear from you.
2017-5-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Nevillejp Posted at 2017-5-6 13:33
If you look there is a thread about it but none  of the DJI administrators will even make any sort of comment in that thread and Natalia seems pretty active  in this thread which about a firmware issue so it is sort of related so I thought she might be tempted to make a comment but sadly it's not looking like it at this stage. And  she won't even answer a PM about the subject.

I will check your another thread for phantom 4 and try my best to help you.
2017-5-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans0770eae0 Posted at 2017-5-7 18:31
Can I get a copy of the beta firmware? I have drifting horizons BAD - just got back from a repair and it's worse than ever. We're talking 35-40 degree tilts

Could you please PM me your DJI account (e-mail)? I will help you on it.
2017-5-7
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-7 19:35
I will check your another thread for phantom 4 and try my best to help you.

Hi - that'd be good Natalia, although as it has a massive number of reads I'd be surprised to hear that DJI are unaware of the thread (and unhappiness within). It's entitled 'Is DJI abandoning its loyal beta testers?', although there are also a number referring specifically to no solution for horizon tilt for the P4.
2017-5-7
Use props
GiriK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1065974 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-7 19:36
Could you please PM me your DJI account (e-mail)? I will help you on it.

Thank you so much Natalia! PM sent
2017-5-7
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-2 20:24
Thank you for the update, glad to hear about it, please have a test and keep us posted.

Natalia,

I have completed initial extensive testing of beta firmware V01.03.0510 dated 19 APR 2017 by flying nine batteries over the past three days in both windy and calm conditions and, in a word, WOW!

I am extremely pleased and impressed with the ability of my P4Pro with this beta firmware installed to be able to maintain an absolutely level gimbal horizon in all of the following testing scenarios:
1) Flying forward or backward up to full throttle in P-GPS mode with 11 mph winds aloft coming directly from the right side of aircraft. PASSED - absolutely level gimbal horizon.
2) Flying right or left at up to full throttle in P-GPS mode with 11 mph winds coming directly from the right side of aircraft (i.e., when flying to the right I am flying directly into the wind). PASSED - absolutely level gimbal horizon.
3) Flying forward, backwards, left, right and hovering with 3 mph winds aloft. PASSED - absolutely level gimbal horizon.
4) Flying forward or backward up to full throttle in P-GPS mode with 16 mph winds aloft coming directly from the right side of aircraft. PASSED - absolutely level gimbal horizon.
5) Flying right or left at up to full throttle in P-GPS mode with 16 mph winds coming directly from the right side of aircraft (i.e., when flying to the right I am flying directly into the wind). The P4Pro PASSED this SEVERE  TEST and was able to maintain an absolutely level gimbal horizon.
6) Flying forward or backward up to full throttle in P-GPS mode with 14-16 mph winds aloft coming directly from the right side of aircraft. PASSED - absolutely level gimbal horizon.
7)  Flying right or left at up to full throttle in P-GPS mode with 14-16 mph winds coming directly from the front right side of aircraft (i.e., wind is coming from direction of front right propeller towards center of aircraft). The P4Pro PASSED this SEVERE TEST with strong 45-degree angle winds and was able to maintain an absolutely level gimbal horizon with only one minor issue noted (not a firmware issue): at ground speeds above 24 mph flying to the right directly into 16 mph wind, the gimbal would occasionally become overloaded and tilt over at a 70-80 degree angle (horizon approaching vertical orientation) then snap back to a level horizon. This would not occur at speeds below 20 mph sideways directly into wind. This happened three times in a 20-minute flight.
8) Completed three complete 500-foot-radius POI circles around an apartment complex under construction with gusty 14-16 mph maximum winds while flying at 10.5 mph with no gimbal instability observed and a perfectly level gimbal horizon for the entire POI flight.  PASSED - absolutely level gimbal horizon.
9) Flying a long-distance flight at 400' AGL elevation up to a maximum distance of 20,000 feet from home point in 5.8 GHz Auto HD transmission mode with the wind coming directly from the right side of the aircraft on the outbound leg of the flight and 14-16 mph wind coming directly from the left side of the aircraft on the return leg of the flight.  PASSED - absolutely level gimbal horizon throughout the entire flight. One minor issue noted - at about midpoint of the flight as I slowed to a near stop above a water treatment pond and tilted the P4Pro camera directly downward with 14-16 mph wind coming from the right, the gimbal "twitched" 10 degrees or so then immediately stabilized. No other gimbal instability was noted throughout the entire 20-minute flight.

NOTES:
A) After installing the beta firmware version V01.03.0510, I performed a "cold" IMU calibration (put P4Pro aircraft without battery in the fridge for 10 minutes, then installed room-temperature battery and immediately execute the IMU calibration procedure).
B) The IMU calibration procedure yielded an absolutely level gimbal horizon, which I tested indoors by lifting the aircraft off its level calibration platform and observing various objects in my kitchen (doorways, cabinet tops, towell bar, etc.), which I have determined to be absolutely horizontal or vertical using a level and observing the live video image with grid lines turned on.
C) After performing the IMU calibration, I then performed a gimbal calibration, which yielded a gimbal horizon that was tilted about 1 degree to the right.
D) I repeated the IMU calibration procedure, which once again produced an absolutely level gimbal horizon on my P4Pro aircraft. So, I did not perform another gimbal calibration.
E) WIND SPEED MEASUREMENT PROCEDURE: All wind speeds aloft were measured by allowing the P4Pro to hover stationary in P-GPS mode at the same elevation as test flight to immediately follow, then switching to ATTI mode and, after waiting 20-30 seconds, observing the direction and reported aircraft horizontal speed in mph on the DJI GO 4 app as the P4Pro drifted with the wind.
F) For all testing scenarios listed above, a PolarPro ND8 filter with circular polarizer was installed on the P4Pro camera. This ND8+polarizing filter is definitely heavier than the original DJI screw-on UV filter for the camera lens.

Please pass on my CONGRATULATIONS and THANKS to the DJI firmware programmers that developed this beta firmware that achieves such extraordinary level gimbal horizon in even the severe testing conditions as noted above. GREAT JOB!

2017-5-7
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-2 20:24

Natalia,

Is there a way to easily post the P4Pro videos with recorded audio commentary that appear in the DJI GO 4 app gallery to this forum directly from the DJI GO 4 app?  This would be a great new feature if it doesn't currently exist.
2017-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules