What settings to use when flying inside a forest?
8635 51 2017-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-3 03:00
Aloha Austevik,

As Dobmatt noted, "Tripod mode with occasionally activated Narrow Sensing feature seems to be the most suitable" is the best strategy.   I fly and train in the jungle around my house here in Hawai'i.  Here are some screen captures of my flight today.  I wanted to see how well Tripod and Narrow Sensing worked.  It works real well!

Thank you for testing this way of piloting. Very interesting and promising results indeed. I assume you hold C1 or C2 button down while executing tight passage with Narrow Sensing assistance, right?
2017-5-3
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cabansail Posted at 2017-5-2 23:35
You just need markers on the ground. Each one represents a tree and you fly clear of them. If you fly over it then that us a hit/fail

Thank you for the tip. Actually I don't really need to polish my Atti mode skills as much as I want to explore OA system efficiency. Therefore realistically sized and placed obstacle mock-ups may be needed. Oh, well, perhaps I'll just practice in nearest park without getting into artificial setup troubles. Having a plenty of gathered information from fellow pilots, it's definitely doable with relatively small risk factor. After all, no pain no gain!
2017-5-3
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-3 03:06
Aloha Austevik,

Here is a screen capture of the next tree tunnel for the Tripod testing.  I will try coming in from the other side since I will be able to see the obstacles better.  The Phantom will have to descend vertically to get to the tunnel.  Fortunately, the foliage will be less dense so I will prepare for a restart, but do not expect one.  The canopy is thin enough that I may not even loose GPS.

This is really NARROW, Brother Sea Mammal! Thank you again for risking your bird's health in process, now it's my turn ... Crowd fund in advance welcomed ...
2017-5-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-5-3 13:32
Thank you for testing this way of piloting. Very interesting and promising results indeed. I assume you hold C1 or C2 button down while executing tight passage with Narrow Sensing assistance, right?

Aloha Dobmatt,

Actually, depending on if you are flying Mode 1 or Mode 2 (which stick is up), you should choose C1 or C2.  That is because the forward and backward (left & right) stick should be opposite the Narrow Sensing C button.  Pressing a C button while guiding the P4 Pro through a grove or jungle with the same hand is risky.  You need all your attention on the forward and backward, left and right stick while looking at the sensor responses.  I fly Mode 2 like most people so I choose C1 button as my Narrow Sensing button.

When I first tried Narrow Sensing, I had the selection on the C2 button and learned the hard way that I needed to reverse to the C1 button.  It was very hard doing both.  I actually made the change while in the air!  Lucky the P4 Pro has High Capacity batteries.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-5-1 06:34
@ Dronef:
You might also want to make yourself familiar with "Narrow Sensing":

Aloha Eric,

When you introduce this video of Ty demonstrating Narrow Sensing be sure to mention that Ty is controlling the Phantom from hitting the trees on the side as the Phantom passes through.  Narrow Sensing will not keep the Phantom from hitting objects on the side, you have to pilot the Phantom through without hitting the sides.

All Narrow Sensing does is allow you to pass through the grove instead of seeing the grove as one object.  In that way, Narrow Sensing "opens the door" so you can pass.  Mahalo for showing the video.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-3
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-3 15:42
Aloha Eric,

When you introduce this video of Ty demonstrating Narrow Sensing be sure to mention that Ty is controlling the Phantom from hitting the trees on the side as the Phantom passes through.  Narrow Sensing will not keep the Phantom from hitting objects on the side, you have to pilot the Phantom through without hitting the sides.

HaHa, thanks Cetacean!

My intention was to point out narrow sensing as being officially described.
I have a hard time looking at DJI tutorials with the 'talent' they use.
The guy gives me the kreeps. He is so wrong...
2017-5-3
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Eric13 Posted at 2017-5-3 16:15
HaHa, thanks Cetacean!

C'mon, you don't like Ty's denture display?
2017-5-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-5-3 16:15
HaHa, thanks Cetacean!

Aloha Eric,

Well, we got to be good for something here on the Forum.  There are actually cultural and linguistic issues involved in some of these "Official Descriptions" as you say.  We need to help everyone get ahead
-  and through the trees.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-3
Use props
Austevik Dronef
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1035125 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Have been flying in between the trees, tree tunnels and treetops.
Settings: If I lost contact with drone- Hover
Tripod
C1-Narrow sending

Takes a little practice but managed to do some very close-by flying. No crashes

The hardest part was to fly with smooth movement. More practice practice and practice. Hehe
Now I am in the process og making it into a fun movie.
Will stare when im done.

Thanks alot for great advice again guys!

2017-5-7
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

Austevik Dronef Posted at 2017-5-7 18:31
Have been flying in between the trees, tree tunnels and treetops.
Settings: If I lost contact with drone- Hover
Tripod

If you are having trouble being smooth, you could always adjust the EXP settings of your sticks. You never want to react quickly in the woods anyway, so it won't hurt. It's very easy to overcompensate in tight areas.
2017-5-9
Use props
apomares-Vzla
lvl.2
Flight distance : 633609 ft
Venezuela

Eric13 Posted at 2017-5-1 06:08
"It's that or picking the drone up, press record and walk around with it over my head"

Now this serious cheating! That is not allowed!

Drones are cameras for photos/videos. Nothing you do is cheating, do what you can with it!!
2017-5-10
Use props
Austevik Dronef
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1035125 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Here is the result from all the great advice I got from you guys! Thanks alot

If you want to see what i "cooked up"  Shared it here http://forum.dji.com/thread-95774-1-1.html
2017-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules