Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-6-12 05:11
I don't understand the concern - buy safety glasses.

Many things that are dangerous don't come with eye protection.  Things like; lawn mowers, weed wackers, hand guns, b.b guns, spray paint, deep fryers, cooking pans, small bouncing balls, forks (you put them really close to your eyes), baby powder, high pressure water hose nozzles, safety glasses (you put them really close to your eyes), etc, etc, etc, etc...

I get your argument but the danger is in the way it's designed. None of those examples you gave are launched from the palm of your hand, inches from your face with the motors starting automatically when it recognizes your face? I hope know one gets hurt but the chances are sky high.
2017-6-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-6-12 03:05
Lol, too bad Darwin behavior will punish us all at some point.. Once something bad does happen again (and it will), the media will have another jab at evil drones.. Smh

Exactly, as soon as a spark takes off into some kids face the press will have a field day.
2017-6-12
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-6-12 06:57
I get your argument but the danger is in the way it's designed. None of those examples you gave are launched from the palm of your hand, inches from your face with the motors starting automatically when it recognizes your face? I hope know one gets hurt but the chances are sky high.

LOL.  Except the things I described cause eye injures every single year.  They all hurt eyes and none of them come with safety glasses.  These are verifiable injuries and have been for decades.  Yet still - none of them ship with safety glasses.  These are also things - like you already said - are significantly less obvious sources of eye injuries - meaning they would be MORE likely to have protection on them, not less.  Since they are not "open and obvious".

Could it be that on the rarest occasions, it's expected that the consumer be aware of what they are purchasing?

Yes it's dangerous.  Yes, people are aware of it.  Yes, you should take precautions.

Problem solved!  Woot!

2017-6-12
Use props
fans557c38d7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

method007 Posted at 2017-6-12 05:11
I don't understand the concern - buy safety glasses.

Many things that are dangerous don't come with eye protection.  Things like; lawn mowers, weed wackers, hand guns, b.b guns, spray paint, deep fryers, cooking pans, small bouncing balls, forks (you put them really close to your eyes), baby powder, high pressure water hose nozzles, safety glasses (you put them really close to your eyes), etc, etc, etc, etc...

Well put my friend!
2017-6-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-6-12 07:18
LOL.  Except the things I described cause eye injures every single year.  They all hurt eyes and none of them come with safety glasses.  These are verifiable injuries and have been for decades.  Yet still - none of them ship with safety glasses.  These are also things - like you already said - are significantly less obvious sources of eye injuries - meaning they would be MORE likely to have protection on them, not less.  Since they are not "open and obvious".

Could it be that on the rarest occasions, it's expected that the consumer be aware of what they are purchasing?

We shall see soon......
2017-6-12
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

CheckYourSix Posted at 2017-5-25 06:59
Agreed. That was the first thing I said to myself as well. Dumb move not to include the prop guards. They probably cost DJI just pennies. It reminds me of the recent incident on a United Airlines flight. Where they were overbooked a flight. They offered passengers $500 to take another flight. No one bit, so what did they do? They forced a passenger off and it cost them millions in stock loss and litigation. Sometime the answers are so simple but greed has a way of blinding companies of their stupidity. What United should have done is offered $600, then $700, then $800 and keep going up by $100 until 20 people raise thier hand - trust me that for just a few more hundred dollars it would have saved them millions. When I heard about that incident, I laughed at the stupidity and how simple the answer was. Companies set rules and give their employees no wiggle room to use their best judgement. this is why when you call almost any large company, you end of talking to some $2.00 /per hour guy named Bob (yeah right) in India reading off a script. They're robots who are scared to death to be anything other than the human robots they're told to be. They are trained not to think for themselves in simple fear of losing their jobs. I don't blame Bob (Bobeeesh), I blame the stupidity of the companies who put up these call centers and the way they train these employees as the first line of communication for these companies. Sorry I'm ranting...

In almost every large company you have one individual who makes the final decision. Who ever that is at DJI, they are not thinking about ramifications but rather with dollar signs. Any company that puts profit before safety ends up like Comcast - voted worse company in the world. DJI isn't far behind in customer satisfaction and I'm sure they don't want that prize. Unfortunately we live in a world where the right hand isn't talking to the left. I doubt very much that the person who made this and other decisions for DJI isn't paying attention to what customers are saying - otherwise they wouldn't be known as the best drone manufacturer with one of the worst custom service reputations. Just my two cents.

+1

All the hype promo vids on youtube were all demo'd with prop guards and the flyless package.
I understand selling without controller as DJI wants the spark to spontaneously "seize the moment", but promoting and not including the prop guards the core product is a dumb move especially if it cost peanuts.

Cost of prop guards vs knee-jerk-reaction to a kid losing an eyeball = Media frenzy.. LOLDJI has spent mega-moolas ($$$) in trying to keep the skies above safe with NFZ, and geospatial zones etc, but forget that the most danger is probably a few feet high - kids, irresposible adults, free-range chicken, old people etc.

You should think it through DJI. Send everyone prop guards like you did with the Prop locks on the Inspires.
2017-6-12
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2017-5-25 14:00
I am more surprised that you have not posted the same comments on other DJI products.  We rely on the pilot in charge to take care of the flight of the craft and fly in a responsible manner.  We cannot prevent all accidents and rely on the pilot to be the ultimate decision maker.  We as a manufacturer cannot prevent the misuse of our products by users.  The Mavic is a a much more dangerous craft close in.  Please take some personal responsibility.  You have not even flown the Spark, I have.  When you get a chance then post your opinions.  Until then this is just trolling and you know what our policy is about that.

Ed, you are so knowledgeable and such a proficient flyer with DJI products. But you need to remember that not all of us are like you.

You shouldn't throw the Mavic under the bus here. No where in the instruction manual or on the promo vids that you see an end user hand launch/catch or even stand as close to the Mavic as you do with the Spark.

Dji should really re-consider and include as prop-guards as standard with all sparks. You need to remember that the Spark's demography is way more diverse than the Mavic's. You guys promoted the spark as a "share tool" in one of your vids, therefore anyone should be able to pick it up and fly - this means kids, millennials who don't care, and even asian women who can't park.  Please reconsider.
2017-6-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-6-12 16:10
Ed, you are so knowledgeable and such a proficient flyer with DJI products. But you need to remember that not all of us are like you.

You shouldn't throw the Mavic under the bus here. No where in the instruction manual or on the promo vids that you see an end user hand launch/catch or even stand as close to the Mavic as you do with the Spark.

Thank you , you are one of the few people who share my concern over the potential dangers of the spark.
2017-6-13
Use props
b0n3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21083 ft
United Kingdom

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2017-5-25 14:00
I am more surprised that you have not posted the same comments on other DJI products.  We rely on the pilot in charge to take care of the flight of the craft and fly in a responsible manner.  We cannot prevent all accidents and rely on the pilot to be the ultimate decision maker.  We as a manufacturer cannot prevent the misuse of our products by users.  The Mavic is a a much more dangerous craft close in.  Please take some personal responsibility.  You have not even flown the Spark, I have.  When you get a chance then post your opinions.  Until then this is just trolling and you know what our policy is about that.

Dji, this is the first time when i can surely say: You are completely wrong.
2017-6-13
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-6-13 03:02
Thank you , you are one of the few people who share my concern over the potential dangers of the spark.

Everyone agrees there are potential dangers of the spark.  What you meant to say is - he is one of the few people that agree you should get prop guards for free.  Those are two different issues.

I don't want to pay more for my product because you don't feel like using your own eye protection due to your own fears.  I have no issues protecting myself, without needing to pay another $20 for the Spark.
2017-6-13
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-6-13 07:55
Everyone agrees there are potential dangers of the spark.  What you meant to say is - he is one of the few people that agree you should get prop guards for free.  Those are two different issues.

I don't want to pay more for my product because you don't feel like using your own eye protection due to your own fears.  I have no issues protecting myself, without needing to pay another $20 for the Spark.

20 dollars for a lifetime of being able to see with both eyes is a pretty good deal in my book?? Pretty much priceless....
2017-6-13
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-6-13 09:49
20 dollars for a lifetime of being able to see with both eyes is a pretty good deal in my book?? Pretty much priceless....

I agree!  You should definitely buy them!

2017-6-13
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-6-13 10:14
I agree!  You should definitely buy them!

You should too my friend....
2017-6-13
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-6-13 11:50
You should too my friend....

I probably will.  

That being said, it's important to note how different that is than DJI forcing me to a buy a pair along with the Spark.  If I crash the spark and have to buy a new one, but the prop guards are still good - why should I have to buy them again?

Probably the thought process that went through DJI's head when they made it optional to purchase the prop guards.
2017-6-14
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-6-14 10:07
I probably will.  

That being said, it's important to note how different that is than DJI forcing me to a buy a pair along with the Spark.  If I crash the spark and have to buy a new one, but the prop guards are still good - why should I have to buy them again?

Ok?  Most people have no fear of dogs, till they get bit.
2017-6-14
Use props
andym91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 113166 ft
United States

I don't think Tahoe Ed is a DJI rep. Just a guy with the DJI logo as the profile picture lol.
2017-6-14
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

andym91 Posted at 2017-6-14 12:36
I don't think Tahoe Ed is a DJI rep. Just a guy with the DJI logo as the profile picture lol.

No he's been a DJI rep for a long time.
2017-6-15
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-6-14 11:53
Ok?  Most people have no fear of dogs, till they get bit.

I don't know what you're getting at.  Can you explain what you mean?
2017-6-15
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-6-15 11:34
I don't know what you're getting at.  Can you explain what you mean?

Let me think about that....... Uh no.
2017-6-15
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-6-15 11:33
No he's been a DJI rep for a long time.

I believe Andym91 was being sarcastic.
2017-6-15
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-6-15 11:44

I thought that at first but then I thought, what a childish way that would be to say "I don't agree with you" to Tahoe Ed.  So I just assumed it was meant at face value.
2017-6-15
Use props
andym91
lvl.2
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-6-15 11:44

No, I was being serious. Haha I'm new to the forums, so just thought it's funny that a DJI rep's name would be "Tahoe Ed" lol. Guess that's how things work around here? Haha
2017-6-15
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

andym91 Posted at 2017-6-15 14:19
No, I was being serious. Haha I'm new to the forums, so just thought it's funny that a DJI rep's name would be "Tahoe Ed" lol. Guess that's how things work around here? Haha

I have been with DJI from the beginning.  You may disagree with me, that is fine.  It will not be the first time.  I appreciate users comments and I am here to help.  I have been absent for a while do to other comments for DJI.  I will be back here more often.  
2017-6-29
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-6-12 02:58
I'm glad to here this, the problem is not everyone follows the rules.

You are correct, not everyone follows the rules or reads directions. If the prop guards did come with the base package, how many people would actually put them on before flying? I'd bet a lot would not.
2017-6-29
Use props
Jack_Sweeney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 634692 ft
United States

Really a lot of people are saying the pricing of Fly More and Fly Less arnt quite right i don't really know since this is my first drone but yeah they should have included the protectors.
2017-6-29
Use props
andym91
lvl.2
United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2017-6-29 11:09
I have been with DJI from the beginning.  You may disagree with me, that is fine.  It will not be the first time.  I appreciate users comments and I am here to help.  I have been absent for a while do to other comments for DJI.  I will be back here more often.

That's great to know! Although I will have to point out.l, there is another discussion on the forums about the spark flying aggressively towards the pilot during palm launch, sort of "attacking" me. This issue happened to me and there was no wind, aircraft was completely level, all conditions were right and operated under optimal conditions. I thought this was an isolated incident, but turns out there is a whole thread on the topic and it turns out the OP was right in this about how fly less combos should come with prop guards. There is clearly an issue across multiple units after reading through that thread, not to mention any other potential incidents that may have gone unreported in the forums or elsewhere. I believe that in palmlaunch/gesture mode, there is just as much responsibility on DJI's part (whether software/hardware-wise) to ensure safety to the pilot as there is to the pilot himself. ESPECIALLY we are to rely on controlling the drone with absolutely no remote/phone and only through gestures. Prop guards wouldn't be a terribly huge investment to include with the fly less kit given the potential volatility of early software/hardware that is being marketed towards beginner drone users.

And if I still have your attention, Ed, would you mind putting in a good word to the devs about integrating color profiles (d-log, cinelike, etc) to the Spark? That'd be great! Thanks!
2017-6-29
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Going back to the target audience you can imagine it coming up to Christmas time. Parents buying little Timmy and little Angelica a Fly-less Spark due to peer pressure and the fact that they have to have one. Launches said Spark in the living room and the 1st time they try to palm take off or land, it chops a little finger off. The parents of the said group of target audience will unwittingly go out, buy the Spark and not have a clue about this forum or what to do the 1st time they open this wonderful present. This always makes me think whenever a new must have is released. You could make it as safe as possible, wrap it in bubble wrap and enclose the props in a finger friendly enclosure but there's one thing no one can account for.......Stupid people who don't respect what these things are capable off if used by minors or dimwits. We have all maybe had a time when the conditions are perfect, IMU is good, GPS is good, no wind and sunny but something happens and it's like.......WTH, why did that just happen, land it, check it, calibrate it and off we go again. Timmy and Angelica will not have a clue what to do......Prop guards on all models - Yes please DJI and please can we have some new and practical options for the camera.
2017-6-29
Use props
FreedomKeepsMe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 179888 ft
United States

I flew the Spark drone over the 4th of July weekend. It broke facial recognition with me on numerous occasions and also flew straight into a tree (was flying with iOS DJI 4 app when it did that), but on one occasion (indoors using gesture mod) it began drifting toward my face. I had to get my hand underneath it and the collision avoidance pushed it up enough for me to step away from it.

I say only this, "This is not a toy".  And not including the prop guards was dumb; I tore through the box and packaging twice looking for them thinking I accidentally lost them. My bad!
2017-7-7
Use props
fansf7fa979c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have had mostly good luck using Palm launch, but have had a few incidents when the drone did not behave as expected. I would think that the avoidance system would prevent the dron from flying into someone’s face, assuming it was on, but glitches do happen. I don’t think it very likely for this type of failure to happen, but it would only take one and the lawyers wouldn’t care if there was user error.  The manual recommends guards be used for Palm launch and they are not provided with the basic package. There’s a good chance this will never be a problem, but if it is, it’s going to be a nightmare. First the lawsuit(s) then shipping protectors to everyone who bought the basic package.
2017-7-7
Use props
fansf7fa979c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also... Palm Control was about the last feature I tested. I got the package that included the guards. I have used Palm Control without the guards. The point being, if my Spark flew into my face without the guards and I decided to make a court case out of it, I would have to explain why I chose to not follow the recommendations. I wouldn’t have much of a case.
2017-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules