Very First PowerUp In a No Fly Zone
1201 7 2017-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans722b4b41
New
United States

Greetings:  As a brand newbie, I'm awaiting delivery of my P3Standard with baited breath, or something like it.  Eventually I will hope to record rail subjects, and some other outdoor objects.  I live in San Jose, definitely inside a no fly zone.  However, just for a very very raw beginning, is there a mode whereby I can power it up out on our backyard lawn, and at least get the thing up to rooftop level, just to get a very bare concept and feel of it?
Thanks for any comments! Norm
2017-6-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

You won't be able to start the motors at all if you're in a no fly zone without the proper authorization. The simulator is the most you can do. Depending on what color the NFZ is, you could self authorize to allow yourself to fly:

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
2017-6-17
Use props
WIMO
lvl.2
Netherlands

I would not recommend flying in a no fly zone or without a distance lock that you not fly too high and not too far, I not sure if every one has this but when you dont connect to wifi to load the map you can fly in a no fly zone
2017-6-18
Use props
fans722b4b41
New
United States

WIMO Posted at 2017-6-18 10:31
I would not recommend flying in a no fly zone or without a distance lock that you not fly too high and not too far, I not sure if every one has this but when you dont connect to wifi to load the map you can fly in a no fly zone

Thanks, WIMO.  Just to lift the thing 4 feet perhaps, and not even to the roof top (I gave even that idea up).  That's ALL I was hoping for here.  I have more sense than to do anything else.  If I can AT LEAST get it up and back down within 4 feet height, than I will feel confident enough to go out to a proper area and work with it.  I've already found a spot north of here, a very open, excellent place, and outside of either NFZ.  
Thanks again,
Norm
2017-6-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

WIMO Posted at 2017-6-18 10:31

'I not sure if every one has this but when you dont connect to wifi to load the map you can fly in a no fly zone'

A connection to WiFi has nothing to do with whether you can fly in a NFZ, the firmware in the aircraft detects NFZs, not the RC unit.
2017-6-18
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

If you use DJI Go - you will have inihibited actions and warnings.

If you use Litchi instead of GO .... you will fly.

The AC does not make the decision to fly or not - its the App on your phone / tablet that does. The AC sends its GPS position back to the RC which then passes it to the App.... if the App is Go - then you get the Geofencing action. If you use Litchi - you can fly.

I've proven this by flying at my local airport (with permission) using Litchi.

Nigel
2017-6-18
Use props
Grumpysrb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11004 ft
United States

Your whole city is a no fly zone, or just where your home is?
2017-6-19
Use props
marvzz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23835 ft
United States

San Jose isn't marked as a No Fly Zone on DJI's list. The city might have an ordinance against it, but you should still be able to fly as long as you aren't right next to one of the airports.
2017-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules