Worth Owning Mavic in Bay Area, CA
971 7 2017-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jaymag7
New
United States

Hey Guys,

Thinking about making my first drone purchase but wondering with all the restrictions in California and more specificially the bay area, is there really any good place to fly? I would love to go on hikes/go to the beach and take the mavic out flying to record some video. Would love any first-hand experiences where people can fly.

Thanks!

2017-6-20
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map      You can check yourself...
2017-6-20
Use props
jaymag7
New
United States

This is super useful. Thanks! Alot of places along the coast are restricted. Didn't know that
2017-6-20
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

jaymag7 Posted at 2017-6-20 09:43
This is super useful. Thanks! Alot of places along the coast are restricted. Didn't know that

Yeah, it is kinda pathetic, the coastline... State parks aren't supposed to be banned yet, (all federal parks are) but I got a bit of grief from the park ranger a couple weeks ago at Grover (state park) he said that they 'just banned them', but if you read the state park web page it clearly states that drones ARE allowed unless otherwise posted, which it wasn't.  I fear it will get worse before it gets better, I think the community would agree...
2017-6-20
Use props
jaymag7
New
United States

Man, such a shame. I imagine its a few careless drone owners out there who ruin it for all the responsible owners.
2017-6-20
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Alum Rock Park is a nice place to practice......go there on a weekdays to avoid people.
2017-6-21
Use props
fans22bf09e8
lvl.1
United States

No, not if you not making money from filming imho, get a spark at that point.  There are plenty of great parks to fly, unless you want to fly from a parking lot like most people, you are going to have to hike, which eliminates 99.9% of most who fly drones, so if you do, you can find a nice quiet spot that wont be disturbing others...as someone who flys, its something I care about when not flying for work. Yeah, its kind of sad you cant fly along the coast, but as someone who is in nature a lot, I actually kind of like you cant fly at every park. If anything, it would be nice if parks made "fly days", say, twice a month on a Wednesday, but that can be tricky to make into a law.

Other than that your welcome to fly in little parks, basic areas, nothing that amazing, to practice flying.

Jay, "Man, such a shame. I imagine its a few careless drone owners out there who ruin it for all the responsible owners." lol, yeah I know, its pretty much like that with everything....like when we used to have booze at work, it just took one person to ruin a good thing
2017-6-21
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

I practice at 2 schools in Moraga, and fly at work (Pt. Richmond). I also use the "run n gun" approach sometimes if there are alot of folks on the trails. saves for "over the top" interactions with some folks.
But school is out, great for practice and getting confidence on distance runs.
2017-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules