Phantom 4 Pro – Mystery Behavior B/C of Battery!!? Help!
702 3 2017-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans030c3b6a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73360 ft
United States

While flying, the P4P lost connection and started RTH. As it neared, I was able to cancel RTH and land manually. I noticed that I had no video feed. As the drone got close, I noticed the gimbal/camera was dangling loosely. I landed safely, and waited a few minutes to let everything cool down. I powered off everything including my phone. Next, I powered everything back on to see if I still had a problem. I did. These were the problems:

(1) Gimbal makes an abnormal, loud vibrating/buzzing noise (kind of like a vibrating phone on a table). It may go away for a second if you gently touch it or tilt the aircraft, but it quickly returns.

(2) no video signal

(3) menu indicated “gimbal disconnected”

Everything else seemed to function. The gimbal did go through its warm up movements, and autoleveled appropriately, just without signal to RC/phone. I tried removing the SD card, and power cycled everything several times. All 3 problems persisted. I was sure the drone would need to go in for repair.

Here is the twist! The next day I checked everything one last time, before calling customer care. And, voila! No problems. Everything functioned normally, gimbal and all. BUT, I happened to grab a DIFFERENT battery.

So, I have 3 batteries. I alternated between each battery 4 different times (12 trials). The 3 problems (noise, no signal, gimbal disconnected) occur 100% of the time with the “bad” battery, but never with the other 2 batteries.

How in the world could a battery be doing this? I need some advice before calling customer care.

Thank you all!

2017-6-21
Use props
AndyP.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3738274 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's definitely a bizarre issue you're having, might a suggest checking the voltages coming from the pins with a multimeter if you have one by attaching the negative end to ground and touching each of the terminals on the batteries for the DC voltages to see if they differ.
2017-6-21
Use props
fans030c3b6a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73360 ft
United States

AndyP. Posted at 2017-6-21 11:16
That's definitely a bizarre issue you're having, might a suggest checking the voltages coming from the pins with a multimeter if you have one by attaching the negative end to ground and touching each of the terminals on the batteries for the DC voltages to see if they differ.

That's a great idea! Thank you. I do not have a tool like that, though. I am very novice in this hobby. I did look at the battery menu area in the DJI Go 4 app, with the bad battery connected. Everything looked normal, for whatever that is worth.
2017-6-21
Use props
AndyP.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3738274 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans030c3b6a Posted at 2017-6-21 11:20
That's a great idea! Thank you. I do not have a tool like that, though. I am very novice in this hobby. I did look at the battery menu area in the DJI Go 4 app, with the bad battery connected. Everything looked normal, for whatever that is worth.

That was a good precaution on your part, but that only shows the voltage of the LiPo cells not the voltages coming from the pins, because I thing that DJI does some voltage regulation on the battery side, and they'd definitely have to do that to power the LEDs cause that blow the LEDs on the operating voltage of the battery.
2017-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules