13649 38 2017-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Guys just looking for a couple of answers regarding DJI Goggles, received my goggles yesterday charged them up connected to Assistant 2 and did firmware upgrade and went out to test, the image quality is excellent though I noticed in the top left a message pop up with "Maximum Flight Distance" or something along those lines, I did not have my phone connected so was not using the DJI Go App. I brought the drone back and tried again same warning, the distance travelled is only maybe 30 meters approx,

Brought the Mavic back and landed connected the phone, I thought I had maybe enabled beginner mode by accident in the app but it was turned off, changed the battery and distance flown was much further seemed ok

Has anyone else had a similar issue, also what range would I get live view distance?

2017-6-22
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

You now need to have your phone connected at all times when flying if you want to use maximum distance. Fly without it, and you'll be limited, it has nothing to do with your goggles.
2017-6-22
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sime Posted at 2017-6-22 01:10
You now need to have your phone connected at all times when flying if you want to use maximum distance. Fly without it, and you'll be limited, it has nothing to do with your goggles.

That would make sense, do you know the maximum flight distance while wearing the goggles
2017-6-22
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

The maximum flight distance has nothing to do with the goggles, the goggles are just a viewing device with some control, distance is dictated by your RC only.
But that being said, I did a 4km flight the other day and had decent vision with the goggles.
2017-6-22
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sime Posted at 2017-6-22 01:25
The maximum flight distance has nothing to do with the goggles, the goggles are just a viewing device with some control, distance is dictated by your RC only.
But that being said, I did a 4km flight the other day and had decent vision with the goggles.

OK thanks again 4km is about 2.5 miles that's decent range wonder how much further you could have gone, wonder if you could have pushed it to 6 or even 8 KM
2017-6-22
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

By the time I got to that distance, I received a return to home warning, and given the terrain I was over, I wasn't going to ignore it.
2017-6-22
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sime Posted at 2017-6-22 01:51
By the time I got to that distance, I received a return to home warning, and given the terrain I was over, I wasn't going to ignore it.

Thanks for info, will make sure I have the phone connected in future
2017-6-22
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

Goggle max range = Aircraft max range. That is 7km for Mavic Pro.
2017-6-22
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-6-22 02:52
Goggle max range = Aircraft max range. That is 7km for Mavic Pro.

4.34 Miles think that will be out of LOS but still good to know in perfect conditions the maximum range
2017-6-22
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Exib Posted at 2017-6-22 04:40
4.34 Miles think that will be out of LOS but still good to know in perfect conditions the maximum range

LOL!!! The moment you put on the goggles, it is LOS!
2017-6-22
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nees Posted at 2017-6-22 04:47
LOL!!! The moment you put on the goggles, it is LOS!

Very true
2017-6-22
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

hahaha Love that last few here on LOS
2017-6-22
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

Exib Posted at 2017-6-22 04:40

I have not got a pair of Goggles myself. I think the ideal way to test for the range is by going on top of some hill and launch it from the peak. In good day I think it can go that 7km that they claimed but the battery life will be the bottleneck.
2017-6-22
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

LOS doesn't always literally mean you has to actually have sight of the drone. LOS in this situation is having nothing between you and the drone.
2017-6-22
Use props
Towlie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 597795 ft
United States

Ridiculous! One of the selling points is that I wouldn't have to fumble setting up the phone with the system.  The app is buggy and crashes all the time.   Very disappointed with DJI products and service at this point.  They don't even support standard units of measurement when you set it in the menu.
2017-7-11
Use props
danielwilkie29
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The range of the goggles is the same range as the range for your controller as the goggles dont connect to the drone its self but the controller
2017-7-12
Use props
MJLUCK
New
Flight distance : 488596 ft
New Zealand

I use my goggles with my Phantom 4 Pro and I also got a maximum flight distance reached warning (30m). I read above that you need to have your phone connected in order to lift this 30m flight distance limit, However how do I connect the phone when the goggles are already connected to the flight controller?
2017-7-21
Use props
Kmelx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 211870 ft
United Kingdom

MJLUCK Posted at 2017-7-21 21:39
I use my goggles with my Phantom 4 Pro and I also got a maximum flight distance reached warning (30m). I read above that you need to have your phone connected in order to lift this 30m flight distance limit, However how do I connect the phone when the goggles are already connected to the flight controller?

You connect the phone/tablet first, launch the Go App get it to go fly, which lifts your distance/flight restrictions and set the limits to whatever you have got setup through the phone/tablet app and then remove the phone and plug the goggles.
2017-7-22
Use props
Alexei Merinov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4796509 ft
Vietnam

Many write about glasses .... Is it comfortable to fly, having them on the nose :?
I already burned on the VR Box helmet and strongly doubt it.
2017-7-22
Use props
fans327b5e66
lvl.1
Germany

Hi i have the  same issue, i have the P4pro PLUS . I know that is not full compatible. I will try to change the  plug in procedure so that i  put  on the googels as last step. I think also that i put only  the HDMI Cabel on it and have full controll over the Display in the controller. If goggels is plugend in, i cannot fokus or change Camera settings . Its only working in the googels Menu. (it make sense) I think if i fly with the p4proPlus i will only use it as FPV. If i fly with Inspire2 i will work with full settings. Now its raining in Germany so i cannot fly...
2017-7-26
Use props
fans4ea0594d
New
Flight distance : 119465 ft
Philippines

What is Ranage ?
2017-7-30
Use props
StevenLawyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 752976 ft
United States

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-6-22 07:12
I have not got a pair of Goggles myself. I think the ideal way to test for the range is by going on top of some hill and launch it from the peak. In good day I think it can go that 7km that they claimed but the battery life will be the bottleneck.

If you fly on a no wind day at 30 mph, you can go out over 4 miles and make it back.  Seems like 30 mph gives best range.  It's what you will get for speed if you stay in P mode but turn off forward obstacle avoidance.  I got out 4.28 miles at 300 feet before I started to loose video feed.  Back on the ground at my home point with 18 % battery.
2017-7-31
Use props
fans871205e5
New
Flight distance : 151253 ft
France

Kmelx Posted at 2017-7-22 00:27
You connect the phone/tablet first, launch the Go App get it to go fly, which lifts your distance/flight restrictions and set the limits to whatever you have got setup through the phone/tablet app and then remove the phone and plug the goggles.

i got the same issue and I do the same solution by connecting the goggles after the max alt and distance was lifted.  Is there any other way to disconnect the phone/ipod then connect the goggles?

Is the head tracking really don't work in P4?  If yes, how?  

Thanks for your inputs...
2017-7-31
Use props
EduardoCarvajal
lvl.1
Flight distance : 603419 ft
Costa Rica

Please note that the first time you connect Goggles to Mavic Proc, the Distance Limit automatically turns on. If you turn it off, you can fly without restrictions.

Distance Limit

Distance Limit

Screenshot_20170806-131530.jpg
2017-8-8
Use props
fans4f556347
lvl.1
Brazil

You must need to Connect your device smartphone or iPad next poder on all when you have everything ready to go, chance your device for Goggles on USB and go on.
2017-11-16
Use props
fans4f556347
lvl.1
Brazil

Sorry bad translation. Power all with your normal device, when its all ready in your DJIGO 4 App, disconnect your device and plug your Goggles and go on.
2017-11-16
Use props
fans312ee7e2
New
United States

Plugging in the phone first and then switching to the goggles do work on overriding the distance limitation. However, I found that you need to do that each time you power on the goggles. Has anyone found a way to permanently save this setting to the goggles so I don't have to swap back and forth?
2018-1-1
Use props
Nahid Ferdous 4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 154108 ft
  • >>>
Bangladesh

now i am confused ..
Whats the real rang ?
How i connect the Goggle with my mavic pro controller ?
2018-1-30
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans312ee7e2 Posted at 2018-1-1 00:03
Plugging in the phone first and then switching to the goggles do work on overriding the distance limitation. However, I found that you need to do that each time you power on the goggles. Has anyone found a way to permanently save this setting to the goggles so I don't have to swap back and forth?

I've written about this elsewhere, but this is an intentional crippling of the later firmware by DJI - you have to startup connected with a tablet/smartphone to login to GO 4, then it unlocks the copter out of beginner mode. You have to do this every time you power up the copter. It has nothing to do with making the product better or more useable for pilots, it's just a CYA move for DJI's benefit at your expense.

The only fix, and I strongly suggest you do it to protect your investment, is to go back to the firmware version before this broken feature was introduced. Go to Youtube and do a search on "digdat 0" for how to do this.

On the mavic pro it's not so bad, since you can still use the goggles and a smart phone at the same time, but it's a real hassle on the P4P making using the goggles unnecessarily difficult.

don't expect a fix from DJI....
2018-2-3
Use props
geohei
lvl.3
Flight distance : 663061 ft
Luxembourg

Kmelx Posted at 2017-7-22 00:27

- What is the purpose of this 30 meters restriction (first tablet/phone, then Goggles)?
- Is it documented somewhere?
2018-3-1
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

geohei Posted at 2018-3-1 02:32
- What is the purpose of this 30 meters restriction (first tablet/phone, then Goggles)?
- Is it documented somewhere?

It's in the firmware for the copters, not the goggles. The release notes for whichever firmware version it was introduced give a blurb about it. They say "for increased safety", but it has nothing to do with safety or customer service/experience, clearly. More likely it's a CYA move by DJI for liability purposes, maybe for one of the countries DJI sells into. But who knows for sure:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... elease_Notes_EN.pdf

The only real fix is to go back to an earlier firmware that didn't have this restriction, possible only on the P4P and mavic pro, I believe.
2018-3-1
Use props
geohei
lvl.3
Flight distance : 663061 ft
Luxembourg

luciens Posted at 2018-3-1 06:18
It's in the firmware for the copters, not the goggles. The release notes for whichever firmware version it was introduced give a blurb about it. They say "for increased safety", but it has nothing to do with safety or customer service/experience, clearly. More likely it's a CYA move by DJI for liability purposes, maybe for one of the countries DJI sells into. But who knows for sure:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4_pro/20171225/Phantom_4_Pro_Release_Notes_EN.pdf

Hmmm ... I realized that my Goggles firmware V01.04.0100.
I upgraded to actual V01.04.0300, and the restriction was gone!
I could fly with the Goggles from takeoff beyond the previous 30 meter fence!

Also, when using the tablet i.s.o. Goggles, the fence wasn't applicable, hence I believe that the Goggle reason for thelimitation, not the drone itself.

... later ...

I have to correct myself !!!

I did a second test flight and there, the 30m/50m (height/distance) restriction was back again. I don't know how I managed to fly outside this range on my first test flight, but I did. I conclude that the 30m/50m restriction is only lifted when connected to the DJI GO 4 App, correct?

I also tried to fly without tablet (never did this). I was stopped at 30m/50m.
2018-3-1
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

geohei Posted at 2018-3-1 07:06

You must have had the tablet plugged in (and gotten to "Begin Flight") before you exchanged it for the goggles.
Try it with just the goggles plugged in from a cold powerup, no phone or tablet, you should still have the restriction.
2018-3-1
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

geohei Posted at 2018-3-1 07:06

I did a second test flight and there, the 30m/50m (height/distance) restriction was back again. I don't know how I managed to fly outside this range on my first test flight, but I did. I conclude that the 30m/50m restriction is only lifted when connected to the DJI GO 4 App, correct?

I also tried to fly without tablet (never did this). I was stopped at 30m/50m.

Yes, that's correct. You have to at least get to "Begin Flight->" in GO 4 to lift the restriction, and every single time you power on the copter.

This is why this is such a nasty break in the current firmware versions; it's incredibly confusing and cumbersome for users of the goggles and is documented absolutely nowhere by DJI. It's just good luck that we've managed to figure it out here and there and post it here on the forum and in videos, etc.

I've stopped buying DJI copters because of this (tho I still love the goggles themselves).

This is fixable on the Phantom and mavic pro by going to the firmware versions before this broken thing was added by DJI, but it requires a 3rd party app and somewhat of a complex procedure to do it (won't go into it here, but I've done it on both my P4P and mavic pro and they're fixed).
2018-3-1
Use props
MickTabs
lvl.1
Australia

I can’t get passed 160 yards before the goggles lose signal, with the Mavic 2 zoom, I have all the lastest firmware pluse a new iPhone X and the distance restrictions is off, why the hell will the Google’s not work
2018-9-16
Use props
WeFlyHighNoLie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

MickTabs Posted at 2018-9-16 03:21
I can’t get passed 160 yards before the goggles lose signal, with the Mavic 2 zoom, I have all the lastest firmware pluse a new iPhone X and the distance restrictions is off, why the hell will the Google’s not work

I'm having the same issue and DJI is saying no one else is. I'll do 1000 ft without the goggles turned on and then once I turn them on and do the same distance I start losing video on both my phone and goggles. I'm also having range issues with Analog but I'm not worried about that as much.

DJI support has stated that they are still looking into my issue. It's been almost 4 weeks.
2018-9-17
Use props
djiuser_DQu5je4SqNok
Second Officer
Flight distance : 249865 ft
United States

WeFlyHighNoLie Posted at 9-17 11:02
I'm having the same issue and DJI is saying no one else is. I'll do 1000 ft without the goggles turned on and then once I turn them on and do the same distance I start losing video on both my phone and goggles. I'm also having range issues with Analog but I'm not worried about that as much.

DJI support has stated that they are still looking into my issue. It's been almost 4 weeks.

I’m having the same exact issue.  Mavic 2 Pro, Goggles RE and iPhone XS Max.  Range is horrible when using them all together.  As soon as the goggles are off, the range with just the phone and go4 app are great.  Has there been any progress on this?  Thanks!
2018-12-27
Use props
djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1643907 ft
United States

Sime Posted at 2017-6-22 01:25

Your using the Mavic 1 Pro...

This issue is only with Mavic 2 drones.

We hope DJI will actually fix this with updates.
2019-1-20
Use props
Mavical
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2206696 ft
United States

Question for the group.

After many months of nudging DJI to address the range issue with the Goggle RE and Mavic 2 Pro, they have just asked me to send them back the unit so they can “replace the core board” *See attached email.

My question is this, before I send these Goggles all the way back to China, has anyone on here seen or know of anyone who owns a pair of the Goggles RE and Mavic 2 Pro who have not had an issue? Because it appears to me that everyone with this combo has the same exact issue, just wondering that if it’s a design flaw then sending them back would just be a waste of time.

Thanks

2019-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules