Charging battery
623 8 2017-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd6a7f95d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240974 ft
United Kingdom

Is it best to charge your battery every flight or should you only charge when it is less than 50%
2017-6-22
Use props
fansd6a7f95d
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Charging battery

Is it best to charge your battery every flight or should you only charge when it is less than 50%
2017-6-22
Use props
kndll
Second Officer
Flight distance : 930161 ft
Canada

ALWAYS fly with a fully charged battery ,  only very short / close flights with a partially used battery ,  set a discharge time in the GO APP , mine is set to 4 days ,  I charge after every flight and let the battery self discharge if I don't fly with in the next couple of days ,  it's an intelligent battery  -  let it work like it's supposed to .
2017-6-22
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Charge for every flight. I always switch on my batterys before plugging in charger as well - to make sure full charge is given.

When you finish flight if the battery is 30% or more - it is fine for storage. Because 30% is a good storage figure and even if much higher - eg 70% etc. - auto discharge will take care of it.

OK ... a b it of history :

For many years ESC, (Electrionic Speed Control), worked on % of battery state for LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff). It meant that the ESC if connected to a partially discharged LiPo would take that lower voltage as its full  mark and LVC at the % of that. Later ESC makers but not all, changed to selected voltage figures for LiPo, but maintained % for NiXX cells.
Even though it is unlikely that DJI Flight Controllers with their ESC's use the old % format - its well to work as though they do !

Why ? Cells power drain is NOT linear. Top 10% of power lasts longer than bottom 10% of power. Simply because to maintain a set flight circumstance requires WATTS. Watts are Volts x Amps. So when battery is fully charged and delivering 17.4V  ... that means the amps draw is less than when battery is partially discharged and voltage is down... Amps draw drains directly the mAh charged capacity.

It is also kinder on the battery.

Nigel
2017-6-22
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Unless you are a spontaneous grab and go flyer - I advise to NOT charge batterys after a flight but to leave in partial discharged state for storage.

You could of course number the batterys and create a staggered regime ? Charge one battery one day ... another battery next day and so on. With all having same setting of number of days before discharge means as long as you know which is which - you will have at least one battery ready to go. But in reality ... charge before Fly - that is the best way to battery long life.

The DJI regime of Auto Discharge is OK but to rely on every day by charging regardless is not a good idea .... IMHO.

Nigel
2017-6-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

http://forum.dji.com/thread-101399-1-1.html
2017-6-22
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Never take off with a battery thats not full, PERIOD! It wont hurt it to recharge at 50%
2017-6-22
Use props
fansd6a7f95d
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thank you for all the information
2017-6-22
Use props
WIMO
lvl.2
Netherlands

if you don't use your battery for a long time let it on 50% and before flight 100%
2017-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules