Erratic take off & hovering
1942 12 2017-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans0bc416f9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8163 ft
United Kingdom

Had a bit of a practice again but crashed during takeoff.. luckily no damage at all
Basically went through all the warm up procedures before take off, then started automatic take off. Instead of going vertical it went up a bit then veered off at an angle & into a barbed wire fence, I did notice when I flew last that hovering was very erratic but I thought it was due to wind blowing the drone around.
I checked props and the drone & had another go
Took off ok(ish) & flew ok, but again I wasn't impressed with hovering it didn't seem to hold a good position,
Thought I'd check compass calibration but dji go just wouldn't let me,
What are your thoughts?
Do you think this was just a one off?
2017-6-22
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would start off by carrying out all calibrations, of which there are five in total for the P4. Then at least you will know there are no problems there:-

IMU (level surface, make sure it's had time to cool down if it's been powered up, say half an hour at lowest ambient temperature, a cool evening or air conditioned room below 10 degrees C helps);

Gimbal (just after IMU);

Sensors (Using DJI Assistant 2 V1.1.2-2 latest);

RC sticks (with aircraft off), and finally compass (in an open area (not over reinforced concrete), away from ferrous materials or electromagnetic interference).
2017-6-22
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"Thought I'd check compass calibration but dji go just wouldn't let me, "

Look in DJI Go 4, 'Main Controller Settings'/'Advanced Settings'/'Sensors'/'Compass Tab'/'Calibrate Compass'.
2017-6-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Like Aardvark mentioned, please try to calibrate the IMU. Besides, make sure the GPS signal is strong enough to take off. At least 10 satellites can be detected by the drone.
2017-6-23
Use props
fans0bc416f9
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Had good strong satalite coverage
No warnings etc
I've tried to calibrate compass this morning but it doesn't give me the option to do it, all it says next to compass is "good" & nowhere can I find the old calibrate compass screen
I had a quick take off experiment & it done the same just not as severe, instead of the previous take off problem, this was almost as if it were being pushed by wind but there was none!
But once it's flying there is no issue at all, hovering is still not as perfect as it was
I'm gonna try and roll back the firmware & reinstall it
2017-6-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans0bc416f9 Posted at 2017-6-23 01:58
Had good strong satalite coverage
No warnings etc
I've tried to calibrate compass this morning but it doesn't give me the option to do it, all it says next to compass is "good" & nowhere can I find the old calibrate compass screen

"I've tried to calibrate compass this morning but it doesn't give me the option to do it, all it says next to compass is "good" & nowhere can I find the old calibrate compass screen "

Post number 3 above tells you where to find compass setting.

I assume you are in "P" mode (check top left hand toggle switch) when flying ?
2017-6-23
Use props
fans0bc416f9
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-6-23 03:05
"I've tried to calibrate compass this morning but it doesn't give me the option to do it, all it says next to compass is "good" & nowhere can I find the old calibrate compass screen "

Yes I'm in p mode  thank you all for your tips
2017-6-23
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

If its giving you unstable flight close to the ground but its ok at higher altitude then its most likely a vision system or sonar sensor issue. Do you have anything mounted to the legs like a gimbal guard or anything similar?
2017-6-23
Use props
fansa04adbc5
New
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-6-23 03:05

I have the same issue.  Calibration option has disappeared.  Camera is putting stripes in portions of my viewing screen.  This is all after the last update.  Phantom won't hold steady position when hovering.
2017-6-24
Use props
fans0bc416f9
lvl.3
United Kingdom

No I don't have anything mounted to drone, just as is.
From what I can tell flying seems fine, it was just hovering & take off, had another quick fly a few hours ago after
Doing a compass & imu calibration & it seemed to be a bit better, take off was good but hovering was a bit hectic but in all fairness the wind had started to spoil things
So will have another go at the next decent opportunity
Will keep updated
2017-6-24
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I may have found out the problem with the unstable hovering, I've been looking for advice re flying over water and another user has given me tips regarding vps, so I have checked my.setting and noticed it's switched off so hopefully get a chance to have a trial flight tomorrow & find out
2017-6-30
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Tony Dodds 1 Posted at 2017-6-30 12:59
I may have found out the problem with the unstable hovering, I've been looking for advice re flying over water and another user has given me tips regarding vps, so I have checked my.setting and noticed it's switched off so hopefully get a chance to have a trial flight tomorrow & find out

Yeah, your VPS sensors are mainly for inside flying to help stabilize your phantom, and do help at low altitudes. If they were turned off, it isn't doing you any favors. When flying over water they recommend turning it off because there can be issues with the reflection and also if you travel over like colors of red or browns at low altitudes. I also never use auto takeoff myself. I like to start the motors and get it right up in the air.....couple of feet anyway. I have never liked the auto but only tried it when I first got my phantom a couple years ago. Be safe and good luck!
2017-6-30
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-6-30 13:20
Yeah, your VPS sensors are mainly for inside flying to help stabilize your phantom, and do help at low altitudes. If they were turned off, it isn't doing you any favors. When flying over water they recommend turning it off because there can be issues with the reflection and also if you travel over like colors of red or browns at low altitudes. I also never use auto takeoff myself. I like to start the motors and get it right up in the air.....couple of feet anyway. I have never liked the auto but only tried it when I first got my phantom a couple years ago. Be safe and good luck!

VPS and the ultrasonic don't really cause many problems over water. I've never had to turn them off and have never had any problems. At worst it might lock onto a floating object or wave if you are trying to hover in one spot. Other than that it shouldn''t cause any problems.
2017-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules