4015 19 2017-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dexter1759
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5253 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All,

Not currently at my computer, but has anyone had a play with Davinci Resolve 14 (in public beta).  How does it compare to v12.5?  I recall trying 12.5 out a while back and struggling to get on with it.  I'm still looking for decent free software for my amateur efforts and wondering if it's worth going back to Davinci and giving it another go.

My main expectations are to be able to colour grade and input 4K (happy to output at 1080P, since I having nothing to view 4K on and won't for a few years yet!).  There seem to be plenty of free editors that allow me to apply transitions and text to clips, etc.  So that's not so much of an issue.

Cheers,
Dex
2017-7-14
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121460 ft
Ireland

I have tried both Resolve and another free application call Hit Film 4.

I found Hit Film 4 much more user friendly having no previous knowledge of video editing. It can also grow with you as you improve, having the option to buy addon etc.

It will take 4k input, but free version only gives out 1080p as far as I can tell.
2017-7-14
Use props
fans399a1255
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2950994 ft
Brazil

I´ve been using Resolve 14 beta free and compared to  the previous version 12.x it is a lot faster in timeline editing with a more options for basic stuff. It can output to 4k and there are lots of online video tutorials. For the basic stuff of cutting, splicing, titles and the such most NLE are very similar today. And the color grading is top notch. It is free and not a huge download so you should definitely give it a go.
2017-7-14
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

The only issue I had with resolve as it seems you need quite a big monitor to get a larger video preview area with the controls, no good if just working on a 15,6 laptop etc (without getting an external monitor) My vid preview size while editing on a 15,6 laptop was like looking at a stamp!
No way could I edit/adjust and see what was happening, it's good but just a heads up re that

2017-7-14
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

Resolve is a primary color grading and correcting tool.  Has been for years.  It is trying hard to get into editing as well, but it is not very user friendly or user customizable for individual workflows habits.  This is it's primary shortfall in my opinion because simple things like dedicating a second monitor of choice for preview, and maybe a 3rd display (like a projector for large output format) for final renderings is somewhat limited.  Resolve does handle 4K nicely however, and if you wish to have better preview options, you can purchase one of BlackMagic's Decklink playback cards for great output controls -- Actually something I am just about to do.  I have used Adobe products since they begin and have had a monthly subscription for a few years now, but Adobe also has their share of problem glitches and  workarounds to deal with.  Same with (use to be) Sony Vegas.  Of the 3, Vegas was the editor of choice for most projects, while Premiere Pro was for the more involved edits with After Effects for titles.  

I would really like to have a single editing system to handle all my workflow, but so far it's been a compilation of many.

-Rodger
2017-7-14
Use props
Ribeiro
lvl.2
Brazil

As monitor space is concerned a larger one is welcome in Resolve. But as a hobbyist this is not a problem for me as I do only basic stuff, but I like the 4k output. As for the workflow and interface I do prefer Premiere, but the pricing where I live (in Brazil) is a bit too much for what I do. Also there are lots of  tutorials about using a combined workflow like Premiere+Resolve and Final Cut+Resolve that might help.
2017-7-14
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

Had to make another comment here after doing a minimal review of the new Davinci Resolve 14.  With this new release, I have to say Resolve has become or will be a game changer.  Far too many new and improved features to even start commenting on, but I'll provide 2 links which will do just that.  I am a novice again with this new version, as so much is new... I really like the feeling and will be spending much time learning again.  Take a look at these 2 videos and perhaps search for some more.  I think huge shakeups are coming.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj8we2PpIvVAhVk2oMKHem0Cu0QtwIIPTAF&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXTuvpin_z_M&usg=AFQjCNGMB8tG0GBsTIT7OXO48haWYzELIQ]https://www.google.com/url?sa=t& ... sTIT7OXO48haWYzELIQ[/url]

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj8we2PpIvVAhVk2oMKHem0Cu0QtwIIQDAG&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZL3gaLiezZA&usg=AFQjCNHzSfp05OffwDaYHR63io-BaMXrwg

-Rodger
2017-7-15
Use props
Mike Mas
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Rodger,

Thanks - I've been using Final Cut Pro and I movie for ever - I'm on a mac 27 - how do you feel the learning curve will be for me? I've checked out some reviews the software looks amazing.

Mike  
2017-7-15
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

Really tough to say as it really depends on well you can lay down one tool and pick up another for the same job.  Me, I tend to hold on to well with what I know, so using something different takes me longer then most I suspect.  But, I also have used so many editors over the years, I have a knowledge of what to expect when I pickup something new in editing.  Good thing is, it's free unless you need the whole studio package, but even then it's cheap for what it is.  It has always been top shelf in color work and now they have included their audio software package, which really is a big thing if you do much with music, especially if you edit for dolby surround.  They have improved their stabilization and making better use of GPU/CPU, workflow is much faster.  All in all, I'd say download it and spend some time learning, reading and watching videos to get going with it.  That's what I do anyways.  BTW, never owning a MAC, I am unfamiliar with Final Cut Pro, so can't tell how much better (or worse) it would be compared to that.

-Rodger
2017-7-15
Use props
Digitaldias
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54587 ft
Norway

How stable do you find 14? I tried it a couple of times, but it kept crashing so much that I reverted back to 12.5, but that was before the July beta I think.
2017-7-15
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-7-14 02:55
I have tried both Resolve and another free application call Hit Film 4.

I found Hit Film 4 much more user friendly having no previous knowledge of video editing. It can also grow with you as you improve, having the option to buy addon etc.

Tx for the tip ........... I´ll give it a try since my old Adobe Creative Suite CS5,5 doesn´t really work good any more on new Win10 machines and can´t handle 4K without crashings ...................

You say, export is possible in FHD but free trial-version download page says: no export at all ?
2017-7-16
Use props
Dexter1759
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5253 ft
United Kingdom

Wow - thanks for all the feedback guys.  Seems there's at least one response that falls in line with my position regarding the cost of adobe subscription.  For what I'm after £20-30 pcm (depending on whether I want to go annual or monthly) is just not worth it.

I'll give Davinci another go with v14...see if  I can get my head around it a bit better than v12.5.

Thanks again, I'll try and get out and recording something worthy of editing together into a short clip to share.

Thanks,
Dex
2017-7-16
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121460 ft
Ireland

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-7-16 01:04
Tx for the tip ........... I´ll give it a try since my old Adobe Creative Suite CS5,5 doesn´t really work good any more on new Win10 machines and can´t handle 4K without crashings ...................

You say, export is possible in FHD but free trial-version download page says: no export at all ?

Sorry, Hit Film 4 Express rather than the full paid Hit Film 4.

With express you can then build it up with addons etc if you decide to after.
2017-7-16
Use props
Ribeiro
lvl.2
Brazil

Digitaldias Posted at 2017-7-15 20:50
How stable do you find 14? I tried it a couple of times, but it kept crashing so much that I reverted back to 12.5, but that was before the July beta I think.

I´ve had some crashes and I cannot reproduce them every time. I think it is just the beta stage (I think it is beta 5 at the moment). Probably some months before a more stable release. Just save often I guess.
2017-7-17
Use props
ChrisH_Photos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133694 ft
South Africa

I moved back to Resolve after a year of using Premier Pro. I find the new version14 to be super stable, and really easy to use.  And the price is great compared to the Full Adobe Cloud subscription, which I have since downgraded to the Photographer package.
2017-7-17
Use props
monica66
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I followed this article to downscale 4K to 1080p. Hope it will be helpful to you.
2017-11-8
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

I used the studio version 14 of Davinci Resolve and learned a lot from Casey Faris at Youtube.
He has a Mavic too and give a lot of instruction movies about color crading and editing.
2017-11-9
Use props
fans79753dd6
New
United States

Rodger Marjama Posted at 2017-7-15 04:56
Had to make another comment here after doing a minimal review of the new Davinci Resolve 14.  With this new release, I have to say Resolve has become or will be a game changer.  Far too many new and improved features to even start commenting on, but I'll provide 2 links which will do just that.  I am a novice again with this new version, as so much is new... I really like the feeling and will be spending much time learning again.  Take a look at these 2 videos and perhaps search for some more.  I think huge shakeups are coming.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t& ... sTIT7OXO48haWYzELIQ[/url]

I've downloaded the new version (free) and have yet been able to import any video into it-- wondered if you have any tips -- besides iMovie,to edit with and not Adobe Premiere. I'm on the fence with Final Cut Pro X  only if it can import the MPeg4 from the DJI Spark.  There are some workarounds, but it got very confusing, with the use of converters and then you  have to download additional programs to get the conversion to convert etc.. very annoying and will cost the user some cash. DaVinci looked very promising to use until it didn't like the Spark's file format.
2017-11-24
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 339888 ft
Canada

+1 to final cut pro x
loving it
2017-11-24
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I have a relative who was an Apple "Genius", now a professional videographer, first with Stanford University, now with Tesla.  I asked him about whether I should stay with iMovie or move up to Adobe. He instead recommended Resolve.  I bought a book from Amazon and am working through it now - I'm about halfway through.  As said above, it's powerful and, at the same time, pretty complicated.  I'm quite comfortable with iMovie, but wanted more power.  Resolve so far seems to have tons of it, and some amount of what I've seen so far will not be needed by me.  But I'm continuing to work on through.  I haven't gotten to the lessons on color management yet, and I understand that this is the major area of Resolve's strength.  But I'm expecting that I'll find that, overall, it'll be a better choice for me than iMovie.
2017-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules