Crash
1461 15 2017-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Duane652000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 319429 ft
United States

I'm at 40 flights and have 4.5 hours of flight time, and had a crash today.  I'm so upset with myself.  It happened in my back yard.  I thought I was above my tree but I wasn't.  Small little growing limb just reached out and caught my rear right rotor.

I thought I could mend it and get her back to flying but the sensors aren't happy.  Tried a visual sensor calibration and that worked.  But IMUwill not calibrate.  Every time I get IMU #1: calibration failed automatic Orientation Error (code 71).  And IMU #2  Calibrating IMU  (Error Code 1).

I guess I'll get to see how DJI Refresh works.
2017-7-15
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Take couples of mints while calibratiing and you should be fresh as new!
2017-7-15
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

man i learned my lesson to stay away from trees with my phantom 3..hope you can get back up in the air
2017-7-15
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry to hear about the crash, have you restarted the drone, then calibrate it again? If it is still the same, please send it in for diagnosis and repair, you can contact the Support to open a case.  http://www.dji.com/support
2017-7-15
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-7-15 18:37
Take couples of mints while calibratiing and you should be fresh as new!

Haha, funny fella.....
2017-7-15
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
France

Seriously now! Take the battery off. Stick the AC in ther freezer for 1/2 hour. Have the GO4 app READY. Take the AC out, plug the battery and start the calibration. MAKE SURE THE SURFACE IS 100% LEVELED. Then do an AUTO CALIB for the Gimbal and let us know!
2017-7-16
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-7-16 09:42
Seriously now! Take the battery off. Stick the AC in ther freezer for 1/2 hour. Have the GO4 app READY. Take the AC out, plug the battery and start the calibration. MAKE SURE THE SURFACE IS 100% LEVELED. Then do an AUTO CALIB for the Gimbal and let us know!

Whoa what! stick the AC in the freezer for 1/2 hour? are you being serious and why would you do such a thing?
2017-7-16
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-7-16 10:07
Whoa what! stick the AC in the freezer for 1/2 hour? are you being serious and why would you do such a thing?

Yes I am very serious.  

You need a COLD IMU calibration to get the best IMU calibration unless your outside temperature is 15 to 10 degrees then you need to put your baby in the freezer.
Similar to why you put a screwed up hardrive in the freezer!

2017-7-16
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-7-16 10:07

This dude is a troll and has zero clue what he's yapping about. Don't put your anything in the freezer. The condensation itself might be enough to short something on start.
2017-7-16
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

ephektz Posted at 2017-7-16 14:15
This dude is a troll and has zero clue what he's yapping about. Don't put your anything in the freezer. The condensation itself might be enough to short something on start.

You're right that condensation is a potential problem, and for that reason DJI recommends against putting it in a freezer or refrigerator, though putting in front of an air conditioner is fine.

Also, a "cold calibration" doesn't improve the quality of the calibration. The one valid reason for recommending a cold calibration is that it potentially allows you to start flying slightly sooner after you power up the Mavic, because it won't want you to take off until the IMU is warmed to at least the same temperature at which it was calibrated.
2017-7-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Never heard the freezer one before in a bag in the fridge yes, but no need a cold room for 30/60 mins or if it's cold outside do it outside.
If you do it in a warm room then that will set the parameters of the aircraft warming , so if you take it out on a cold day it will take AC longer to reach warm up, so if it can be done outside then that's the best place to do it.
2017-7-16
Use props
Duane652000
lvl.1
United States

I've opens a case, and have it packed and labeled to ship.  It goes out Monday.  Most attempts to calibrate were cold, but not freezer cold, lol.
2017-7-16
Use props
Duane652000
lvl.1
United States

STRIDE8 Posted at 2017-7-15 18:58
man i learned my lesson to stay away from trees with my phantom 3..hope you can get back up in the air

Yep, no doubt.  Totally my fault, getting over confident, which is the usual reason for a crash.  It looks like I will have the option to pay for repair or use my first refresh.  So I'll wait for diagnosis and go from there.
2017-7-16
Use props
Duane652000
lvl.1
United States

STRIDE8 Posted at 2017-7-15 18:58

Yep, no doubt.  Totally my fault, getting over confident, which is the usual reason for a crash.  It looks like I will have the option to pay for repair or use my first refresh.  So I'll wait for diagnosis and go from there.
2017-7-16
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Duane652000 Posted at 2017-7-16 16:25
I've opens a case, and have it packed and labeled to ship.  It goes out Monday.  Most attempts to calibrate were cold, but not freezer cold, lol.

Most attempts to calibrate were cold, but not freezer cold, lol.

It wouldn't have helped anyway.
2017-7-16
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I can't say for sure if the chilled IMU calibration is required on the Mavic or not, because I've never done any calibration on my Mavic to test the point.  However, it really is the way to go when doing an IMU calibration on the Phantom.  If you don't, the warmup time for the IMU will be excessive.  If you calibrate at a warm temperature, it can take minutes for the IMU to warm up again when you start it up to fly.  On the other hand, if it is calibrated cold, the warmup will be less than a minute, then you're ready to fly.  I try to do IMU cals on my Phantom when it is below freezing.  The last good one was at 17F.
2017-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules