What is necessary to fly drones commercially?
714 4 2017-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
el pelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236768 ft
United States

Hello Everyone. Looking to possibly fly my drone for some real estate photography in Texas. Anyone know what is needed or been through the process. Would like to use for weddings as well. What I found:

Need the part 107 license
Need exemption under section 333
Possilby liability insurance

Hoping someone can weigh in with tips. Thanks
2017-7-17
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Anyone know what is needed or been through the process.

In a nutshell you have to pay $150 to take the remote pilot certification exam, fill out a fairly simple form online on the IACRA web site, and then wait.

There are quite a few resources available for studying for the exam, some free and some not. I can't really speak to the quality of any of them though I hear good things about Tony Northrup's YouTube video and it's free. One thing I would emphasize is that regardless of which resource(s) you use for studying that you should be able to read sectional charts.

To take the exam, find a testing center near you using this page. Note that each testing center has a code that starts with either "LAS" or "ABS", and I recommend that you call the testing center you hope to use to make sure they're still administering the test. You can't register for the test through the testing center, though.

Once you've selected a testing center and confirmed that you can take the test there, call one of the two toll-free numbers listed at the top of that page: if the testing center you picked starts with "LAS" then call the PSI / LaserGrade number; otherwise it's a CATS location and you have to call their toll-free number instead. They've merged and are technically the same company now, but you still have to call the appropriate number for your testing center to get the test scheduled, or at least that used to be the case.

You'll find out immediately after taking the test whether you passed, and assuming you did they'll tell you to wait a couple of business days for the FAA to get your results. Once the results are in the FAA's system you can link them to the application and submit the online form through the IACRA web site.

Once you submit the IACRA form, the FAA will perform a preliminary background check on you and make a temporary certificate available that you can print out and keep with you, and eventually you'll get your "hard card" in the mail. The temporary certificate can be available in as little as a week, but you'll probably be waiting at least a couple of months for the hard card. The temporary certificate is really all you need to start flying commercially, though; just keep a copy of it with you when you do.

Need exemption under section 333

The 107 certification has essentially superceded 333 exemptions, at least for small (less than 55 pound) drones, so you probably won't need / want to bother with a 333 exemption.

Possilby liability insurance

Not absolutely necessary but a good idea, yes, especially if you plan to be flying near people. AIG -- and perhaps other insurers -- offer commercial policies.
2017-7-17
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

Great advice from DroneFlying.  Study, pass the test, fly within the regs, make $, and have fun. Good luck!
2017-7-17
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Best deal on insurance when starting out is:
https://verifly.com/
Buy it by the hour, lots more affordable than a full time policy.
2017-7-17
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-7-17 16:44
Best deal on insurance when starting out is:
https://verifly.com/
Buy it by the hour, lots more affordable than a full time policy.

Another vote for Verifly. No need to buy a yearly policy that you may or may not use to its full value.
2017-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules