top camera settings for 10ft from people still shots
1069 10 2017-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Realstinger
lvl.2
United States

Ok, So everytime i take my drone shots of people within 6 to to foot above them at a 45deg angle the photos are noisy and too soft, not in focus??? I tap to focus on people and its not sharp. is this the best the MAVIC can do ?? light wind in tripod mode?? please help me understand the cameras capabilities, as I do photography and understand Aperture/ss and ISO and EV
2017-7-17
Use props
Realstinger
lvl.2
United States

Am I missing something here, I was in late eve sunlight with a ND8/pl 4k filter. My ISO was at 100 and ss was /1/30 to 1/80 sec. Should i have just used a ND4 filter and tried to get SS 1/100 sec??
2017-7-17
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

Why would you use an ND filter for a still photo.  About the only purpose for this is to set the shutter speed lower to capture movement.  For example a stream or a waterfall.

The best use for an ND filter is to slow shutter speed for video.

You may benefit a little using a PL with a still photo to gain color saturation through the lens, but otherwise, I'd suggest you take the filter off for still photography.

As far as your issue, may be check your contrast, sharpness, etc. settings......
2017-7-17
Use props
Realstinger
lvl.2
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-7-17 16:21
Why would you use an ND filter for a still photo.  About the only purpose for this is to set the shutter speed lower to capture movement.  For example a stream or a waterfall.

The best use for an ND filter is to slow shutter speed for video.

Thanks, but what is the best setting for still photos of people?? d-cinelike, D-log or none? and what should the sharpness , contrast ,  saturation be set at ???
2017-7-17
Use props
Tripp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2241401 ft
United States

For photos, you should leave all of the filters off and try and get a low iso with a fast shutter speed.
2017-7-17
Use props
Realstinger
lvl.2
United States

Tripp Posted at 2017-7-17 19:32
For photos, you should leave all of the filters off and try and get a low iso with a fast shutter speed.

Thank You

2017-7-18
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

Tripp Posted at 2017-7-17 19:32

This.

You can mess around with the sharpness/contrast settings, but you should see an improvement just by using a higher shutter speed without the filters........
2017-7-18
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

Realstinger Posted at 2017-7-17 18:22
Thanks, but what is the best setting for still photos of people?? d-cinelike, D-log or none? and what should the sharpness , contrast ,  saturation be set at ???

Yes, as pointed out by other. Do NOT use ND filters for photos. You just get longer shutter-speed with higher risc for camera shake or motion blur, especially at closer distances!

I suspect camera shake or motion blur is the reason for your unsharp images, but make sure the app is set up correctly for tap-to-focus autofocus. You have not by mistake switched to make a tap on screen to measure exposure instead of setting focus? I would also suggest to turn off AFC to be in full control on when and what the camera focuses on (But some prefer AFC on).

D-Cinelike and D-log is for people who do post-processing of video and photos. To me it sounds like you don't plan or want to do that. I would suggest you to use None or maybe TrueColor. It's a matter of taste (colors & contrast), and has not much to do with sharpness. None is the default and the safe choice. If you don't have a particulary reason to change it, just keep it there.
2017-7-18
Use props
Realstinger
lvl.2
United States

StigNygaard Posted at 2017-7-18 22:28
Yes, as pointed out by other. Do NOT use ND filters for photos. You just get longer shutter-speed with higher risc for camera shake or motion blur, especially at closer distances!

I suspect camera shake or motion blur is the reason for your unsharp images, but make sure the app is set up correctly for tap-to-focus autofocus. You have not by mistake switched to make a tap on screen to measure exposure instead of setting focus? I would also suggest to turn off AFC to be in full control on when and what the camera focuses on (But some prefer AFC on).

Thank you, so I should be using manual , then use the the scroll focus bar , How do you LOCK the focus ???. And would you use Tripod mode?? maybe ss of 1/200th and iso 100/200
2017-7-21
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

Realstinger Posted at 2017-7-21 19:02
Thank you, so I should be using manual , then use the the scroll focus bar , How do you LOCK the focus ???. And would you use Tripod mode?? maybe ss of 1/200th and iso 100/200

No, don't use manual focusing, that's unnecessary trouble.. Use autofocus via tap-to-focus. The AFC setting (or CAF, can't remember what they call it) is a setting for some kind of semi-continues / periodic refocusing. If you turn AFC off, focus is locked until you do a tap-to-focus again. If AFC is on, you are not sure when (or in control of when) the camera decides to refocus and to what it focuses on at that point. But reports on how well AFC works varies. Some prefer to have AFC on, because they forget to focus themselves in first place.

Yes, there is some confusion about what AFC does. Turning AFC off is NOT turning autofocus off. You can still do autofocus via tap-to-focus when AFC setting is turned off. But don't confuse the AFC setting with the AF/MF selector. But honestly, I don't think the AFC-setting is your problem. If you feel most comfortable with keeping AFC activated, keep it on.

Generally low iso is the best for high quality and fast shutterspeed reduces risk of camera shake and motion blur. But letting the camera decide shutterspeed and iso would normally be fine. The Auto exposure mode should be intelligent enough to figure out a good exposure for normal needs in most cases. Using Manual exposure requires some experience/knowledge.
2017-7-21
Use props
Realstinger
lvl.2
United States

StigNygaard Posted at 2017-7-21 21:48
No, don't use manual focusing, that's unnecessary trouble.. Use autofocus via tap-to-focus. The AFC setting (or CAF, can't remember what they call it) is a setting for some kind of semi-continues / periodic refocusing. If you turn AFC off, focus is locked until you do a tap-to-focus again. If AFC is on, you are not sure when (or in control of when) the camera decides to refocus and to what it focuses on at that point. But reports on how well AFC works varies. Some prefer to have AFC on, because they forget to focus themselves in first place.

Yes, there is some confusion about what AFC does. Turning AFC off is NOT turning autofocus off. You can still do autofocus via tap-to-focus when AFC setting is turned off. But don't confuse the AFC setting with the AF/MF selector. But honestly, I don't think the AFC-setting is your problem. If you feel most comfortable with keeping AFC activated, keep it on.

Thank you Stig
2017-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules