DP review lights up DJI
1296 12 2017-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EdSimmonsPhoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 121371 ft
United States

Opinion: DJI has abandoned professionals                   Published Jul 23, 2017  |          Ty Audronis            

Tweet                                      

"DJI’s new firmware has certainly stirred the pot in the professional  community. With restrictions popping up in unexpected places, the  professional drone pilot community has been deluged with stories of  unfulfilled contracts and sometimes downright enragement over this new  firmware. But what’s really going on?"

https://www.dpreview.com/opinion ... doned-professionals
2017-7-23
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>

That is the problem when a manufacturer act as a government body! I have been singing this song since forever!

Watch out they will be deleting this post pretty soon
2017-7-23
Use props
Timmex
New
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-7-23 18:07
That is the problem when a manufacturer act as a government body! I have been singing this song since forever!

Watch out they will deleting this post pretty soon

Why do they delete it ?
2017-7-23
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Timmex Posted at 2017-7-23 19:25
Why do they delete it ?

Because they will claim it is fear mongering and it is NOT true...
2017-7-23
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a well written and reasonable article from a well respected internet source.  DJI should pass this article up the chain.  I believe that someone at DJI should pay attention.

I realize that you (DJI) need to be a good citizen to the world and are trying to do the right thing so one of your drones doesn't take down a passenger jet (or some other horrible tragedy). I also realize that there are plenty of uninformed owners of drones who are frustrating the professionals because of their public displays of idiocy...  Tough problem.   

UNLOCK THE STRICT GEOFENCING BY HAVING US INPUT OUR PART 107 LICENSE #
Maybe DJI can satisfy the professional (part 107 licensed) remote pilots by giving us back the freedom to fly safely and let us deal directly with the FAA for permissions and waivers in restricted airspace (As defined in the FAA rules).  You could build an "unlock" window into DJIGO4.  We would input our FAA License number (and whatever other info you need) and the Geofencing will be dropped in all areas except Airport Surface Area airspace and High Security locations.

You cant afford to block your professional users from doing their jobs.  Let US be the professional RPIC's, let us deal with the FAA or ATC towers as clearly defined by the rules and regulations of the FAA.  And do us ALL a favor, don't give everyone freedom to fly in restricted air space UNLESS they have shown AT LEAST the level of knowledge and awareness as defined by the FAA with the Part 107 testing and licensing.

2017-7-23
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

Well said..it's true.
2017-7-23
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Excellent idea.
2017-7-24
Use props
EdSimmonsPhoto
lvl.1
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-23 20:22
This is a well written and reasonable article from a well respected internet source.  DJI should pass this article up the chain.  I believe that someone at DJI should pay attention.

I realize that you (DJI) need to be a good citizen to the world and are trying to do the right thing so one of your drones doesn't take down a passenger jet (or some other horrible tragedy). I also realize that there are plenty of uninformed owners of drones who are frustrating the professionals because of their public displays of idiocy...  Tough problem.   

I'd be ok with that.  As a student pilot myself, I shudder when I think of someone with zero knowledge of how the airspace works wandering into the "airspace" while I'm up there flying around.

That being said, if I (as a 107 holder, NC permit holder, etc) want to video my friend's takeoff from the taxiway, and I'm otherwise legal, then I don't want the software shutting me down because it defaults to "amateur mode."

I'm guessing that all of this will get sorted out, eventually.
2017-7-24
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well said, and a good solution that should be fairly simple to implement.
2017-7-24
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

EdSimmonsPhoto Posted at 2017-7-24 06:16
I'd be ok with that.  As a student pilot myself, I shudder when I think of someone with zero knowledge of how the airspace works wandering into the "airspace" while I'm up there flying around.

That being said, if I (as a 107 holder, NC permit holder, etc) want to video my friend's takeoff from the taxiway, and I'm otherwise legal, then I don't want the software shutting me down because it defaults to "amateur mode."

Hi Ed, not sure we will be able to get past DJI for flying in the surface airspace of any airport.  That said, IF the airport is not towered (Class G), you MIGHT be able to get permission from DJI (ugh, I hate saying that we need to apply for permission from DJI).
2017-7-24
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe DJI can satisfy the professional (part 107 licensed) remote pilots by giving us back the freedom to fly safely and let us deal directly with the FAA for permissions and waivers in restricted airspace (As defined in the FAA rules).  You could build an "unlock" window into DJIGO4.  We would input our FAA License number (and whatever other info you need) and the Geofencing will be dropped in all areas except Airport Surface Area airspace and High Security locations.

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying and asking for in other threads. It just makes too much sense - meaning it probably won't happen.   Sadly.
2017-7-24
Use props
EdSimmonsPhoto
lvl.1
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-24 07:24
Hi Ed, not sure we will be able to get past DJI for flying in the surface airspace of any airport.  That said, IF the airport is not towered (Class G), you MIGHT be able to get permission from DJI (ugh, I hate saying that we need to apply for permission from DJI).

4 of my local airports are class G, I'll run a test and report back.
2017-7-24
Use props
Krakozawr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 250725 ft
United States

Flying Wolf_NOL Posted at 2017-7-24 09:53

Exactly.
+1.
2017-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules