Couldn't fly this AM. Required update on Android for Mavic Pro
813 6 2017-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kordless2
New
Flight distance : 1394 ft
United States

Thank you for reading this. I'm new here, but have been flying RC/drones for 25+ years.

This morning I had an appointment to fly my Mavic Pro onsight for a contract job. When I powered it on I discovered the DJI GO 4 app on my Nexus 5 (Android) wanted to update the drone. Typically, I ignore these updates when I'm needing to fly. However, in this case the controller said "see app" and the app said "updated required" and "cannot take off". I would note that I rebooted both the app, controller and drone trying to get around the lock out. The update took >30 minutes and drained a battery. I finally was able to fly after the update.

It would appear this update implements the new restrictions about having to be logged into the app before flying. I'm OK with this, as I've already been logging in since getting my drone. I have not, however, ever been required to update before I can fly. I find this particularly intrusive, as actions by DJI will directly impact our ability to fly our drones when we need to fly them. Appointments or the need to fly at a given moment seems to be of less importance than DJI rolling out a required update.

I have some screenshots from chatting with support this morning about the "issue". I don't actually view this as MY issue as it seems the decision by the release team there at DJI is actually what is causing the problem. If they decide to force an update (because they want or must have people registering) then I would have fully expected them to send out emails and do a decent job of updating us about the requirement to update (assuming we're having to use our phones connected to the Internet, of course). I realize there are "workarounds" to this, such as not connecting the drone to the Internet, but some of us have requirements of flying with our phones.

I would like a direct answer from DJI about this issue. I was unsuccessful in discussing this with technical support. The guy kept telling me that it wasn't a forced update, but from my experience, it definately was forced, given the drone refused to take off because it required an update from the app, which I needed to use for the job. Screenshots of the denial attached.

DJI, please review and put in place policies that prevent your users from being able to use their devices from moment to moment based on your software updates. I could imagine a scenario where you become legally responsible for someone not being able to fly, when they expect to be able to fly with their drone.
Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 11.45.03 AM.png
2017-7-24
Use props
kordless2
New
Flight distance : 1394 ft
United States

Last part is better said as "DJI, please review and put in place policies that don't prevent your users from being able to use their devices from moment to moment based on your software updates."
2017-7-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It's kind of crazy to just thrust this on people without warning, I don't see why they don't or can't have a countdown clock, set at say 14 days and reminders throughout this period, to give people time to first understand what it is they're being asked to do, and time to do it, just crazy.
2017-7-24
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
France

kordless2 Posted at 2017-7-24 11:35
Last part is better said as "DJI, please review and put in place policies that don't prevent your users from being able to use their devices from moment to moment based on your software updates."

We have been going thru this BS for few month now and people keep getting the RUN AROUND from DJI...

I am at .700 and every time I turn on it keep saying "UPDATE TO .900". For the 100's time. I don't want to FKN update. Have a button that says "DON'T SHOW THIS ANYMORE" like any normal MODERN app would.

2017-7-24
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

I believe these mandatory updates are due to the Hackers that want to open up the Mavic's capabilities.  I had an update last night that took about 15 minutes at the most
2017-7-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

So sorry for the inconvenience first. Have you brought your Mavic or mobile to China Mainland where mandatory update is required? I have double checked the issue with our engineers and we do not have mandatory update in your current location(US).

In order to have a better understanding of this, please complete the below information, our engineers will look into it.
1. What's the version of your DJI GO 4 app?
2. Do you remember the previous firmware version before update? Some pictures or screenshots of update required will be helpful if you have kept it.
3. Where did you buy the mobile? Have you brought your Mavic or mobile to China Mainland? Forced update is required in China Mainland area, please kindly note.
Thank you for understanding and cooperation in advance.
2017-7-26
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Reinstall DJI Go4 app. That will solve the faulty login issue.
2017-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules