679 1 2017-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PatrickPaes
lvl.1
Flight distance : 201355 ft
Brazil

Hello everyone!

So, I've been testing the Mavic camera and been playing arround with multiple sharpness, contrast, saturation and exposure values, comparing and trying to find a neutral point on camera.
Did a test in a controlled environment with test charts.
Just wanted to know if someone is interested in the files.

Things I've found out:

Sharpness: +1 seems to be a neutral point, it starts to show up noise in the low lights but I think that's the real image coming from the sensor. 0 has some noise reduction effect to it, noise completely disapear. I hadn't notice a sharpness increase on a chart between 0 and +1. I start to lose information below 0 (-1, -2 and -3),  +2 and +3 seems to try to pull an information that is not there.

Contrast: Using -3, when you get your image in post and pull it to match a 0 Contrast image, noise comes up. Looks like it happens because of the compression. You can get to the neutral point using -3, but it enhance artifacts and noise that doesn't show up on a 0 Contrast situation. So if you are going to a contrastier image using -3, it might be a good idea to use values closer to 0, or 0.

Saturation: -3 seems a good point, havent noticed any artifacts, noise or anything bad coming up when correcting it to match a 0 saturation image, so it won't hurt and will not take away information from you as contrast does.

If you guys are interested I can have the tests uploaded.

Regards,
P.

Test chart

Test chart
2017-7-24
Use props
sundance87
lvl.1
Flight distance : 423848 ft
Switzerland

Thanks for your test. That's pretty much what I use. Personally I set saturation at 0 or -1, just because otherwise I find myself adding saturation in post as I like popping colours.
2017-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules