Does this mean we have to take our mavics/drones out too?
1123 9 2017-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Clare_G101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39236 ft
United States

this article says that cameras and things bigger than a cell phone must be taken out, so I would assume it includes drones too. What are your guys' opinions on this new rule?
https://petapixel.com/2017/07/26/tsa-requires-separate-screening-cameras-airports-now/
2017-7-27
Use props
Orind
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129754 ft
United States

When I flew from Anchorage to Az and back in May 2017--mavic pro in my pack, no problems in Anchorage.  Leaving Az., lectured by TSA that it need to be out of pack and separate--in short, regardless of rules, there will always be inconsistencies, so I simply take it out, place it in its own bin.  Happy to follow the rule, but very irritating when the rules are not consistent/predictable.
2017-7-27
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Yes, you will need to put the Mavic in it's own plastic bin for inspection/Xray.
2017-7-27
Use props
eyeloveteeth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1015397 ft
  • >>>
United States

we don't plan to fly with ours, but just for simplicity sake i bought the pelican case off amazon - so much easier than the bag that came with the mavic - i'd imagine in the airport setting it'd be easier to put the drone in the bin and the pelican case behind it
2017-7-27
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

eyeloveteeth Posted at 2017-7-27 08:45
we don't plan to fly with ours, but just for simplicity sake i bought the pelican case off amazon - so much easier than the bag that came with the mavic - i'd imagine in the airport setting it'd be easier to put the drone in the bin and the pelican case behind it

Same here, use an old Cannon soft camera case, amazing it holds the Mavic, controller and 3 batteris comfortably.

Don't forget to remove the SD card!
2017-7-27
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-7-27 08:54
Same here, use an old Cannon soft camera case, amazing it holds the Mavic, controller and 3 batteris comfortably.

Don't forget to remove the SD card!

what happens to the sd card?
2017-7-27
Use props
eyeloveteeth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1015397 ft
  • >>>
United States

it's a bit of an urban legend - but there have been examples where you lose data or corrupt the card.

Given the number of SD cards i've had in my laptop bag without issues, i don't necessarily think it's a real thing, but ppl like to be careful anyway.
2017-7-27
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Visualkaos Posted at 2017-7-27 08:59
what happens to the sd card?

Good Chance the Micro/Xray waves can damage the card, I never take the chance unless you know the card is shielded like in most cell phones, I highly doubt DJI has a shielded feature protecting your SD Card.
2017-7-27
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-7-27 09:10
Good Chance the Micro/Xray waves can damage the card, I never take the chance unless you know the card is shielded like in most cell phones, I highly doubt DJI has a shielded feature protecting your SD Card.

Good to know.  It would really suck to loose all the data.  
2017-7-27
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

You will know when you get searched!!!
2017-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules