DJI, Looking for answers with the recent firmware.
2451 39 2017-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AerialImageryMe
lvl.2
United States

DJI,

I have been a proud user of your products since I strapped a GoPro on a H3-2D gimbal on the Phantom 2. I have used your products without issue to start a business that I enjoy every moment. However, we need some answers with this newest firmware. You have reduced the community to using 3rd parties to roll back the firmware. You have left the community with no answers, no time frame on a fix and no help. The answers I have received from customer support are "Did you turn it off and turn it back on?" When they don't have an answer, it is up to me to package it up and send it in for repair at my cost.

Like countless others, my Phantom 4 has severe stability issues. I can't fly a straight line without the craft dipping and bucking. It is a complete mess. Besides rolling back the firmware, I have done everything. I upgraded the firmware without issue in the process using A2 for Phantom 4 and GO4 for the controller. I have recalibrated IMU, Compass and VPS endless times. I have factory refreshed many times to start from scratch. I have done all these in various orders and nothing has changed. There is clearly an issue with the firmware, it's not user error.

The community has tried to help, we have sent video and flight files to you that I assume were passed on to the engineers. Surely by now you have at least an answer as to what the issue is. We were told prior to upgrading firmware we can always roll back, but now you have taken that option away. Surprisingly, it is often one of the suggestions of customer service. I have to spend 10 minutes informing them it is not an option. This is the simplest temporary answer to the issue, allow us to roll back using your software. You ignore this. In fact, we have all been ignored. You have blatantly ignored the entire community trying to help you solve the issue. We are left with no answers and non-working Phantom 4s.

I am asking for an official update on the issue at hand. We are going on almost a month now with nothing.

2017-7-29
Use props
specticmayor
New
Flight distance : 246 ft
United States

I have had the same issue with the latest firmware, the quad is less stable then it was before the update, it is not enabling multiple flight modes even when it is switched on, and it is enabling a max altitude along with a max distance even though I turned it off.
2017-7-29
Use props
Ercoupedriver
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1075778 ft
United States

specticmayor Posted at 2017-7-29 06:37
I have had the same issue with the latest firmware, the quad is less stable then it was before the update, it is not enabling multiple flight modes even when it is switched on, and it is enabling a max altitude along with a max distance even though I turned it off.

I turned the sensitivity on my controls way down after I did the update.  I can't give you a before and after response since I did it before my first flight after the update but I can say that I have had no problems with the stability of the aircraft.  P-4.  
2017-8-3
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Ercoupedriver Posted at 2017-8-3 08:49
I turned the sensitivity on my controls way down after I did the update.  I can't give you a before and after response since I did it before my first flight after the update but I can say that I have had no problems with the stability of the aircraft.  P-4.

I have the sensitivity down to 0.25 and I have no issues beside wobbling when it finishes a Draw mode flight.
2017-8-3
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Guys, can't you focus on the thread subject??
We are not achieving anything that way.
We need to concentrate our energy on one thing and that is to get a fix.
Don't waste valuable threads like this on technical data.
Address the admins on the main topic only!
2017-8-3
Use props
Jeffames226
lvl.2
United States

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2017-8-3 12:01
Guys, can't you focus on the thread subject??
We are not achieving anything that way.
We need to concentrate our energy on one thing and that is to get a fix.

DJI and admins will deny deny deny that ANY problem exists.   They will accuse us for being too stupid too know we are doing and that is the reason for all the firmware and NFZ issues.   Just wait it wont take long for the "regulars" on here to chime in and you will see I am right.
2017-8-3
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Jeffames226 Posted at 2017-8-3 12:11
DJI and admins will deny deny deny that ANY problem exists.   They will accuse us for being too stupid too know we are doing and that is the reason for all the firmware and NFZ issues.   Just wait it wont take long for the "regulars" on here to chime in and you will see I am right.

That is more of a reason to do what I said.
You won't get anything by dividing the force.
Be wise please.  
2017-8-3
Use props
Jason Grubb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5456 ft
United Kingdom

I have exactly the same issues, well said. You letter is perfect.......even if DJI just responded advising they accept there is an issue and they are working on a fix would be nice.
Makes me sick that a company of this stature can have such poor customer service. ....why did we all buy these very expensive drones.....if the community all demanded refunds due to this firmware upgrade that has deemed the P4 s un useable......I bet within hours we'd all have a response and a plan resolve the issue in place. DJI ......sort it out...all this bad press isn't going to do you any good at all.
2017-8-3
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2017-8-3 13:31
That is more of a reason to do what I said.
You won't get anything by dividing the force.
Be wise please.

It is all becoming rather like groundhog day in here isn't it? If I were a moderator, I'd create two or three stickies - one for an open line to DJI for questions to mods and another for reported issues and potential fixes and ask that all this stuff goes in those two threads (although stickies are reserved for announcements around here).

In the meantime, I've got some news for you all. I upgraded to the new firmware. I think I'm the first here to report it, but there appear to be some minor flight issues!!!! Fear not, through my ninja research skills, I have discovered a non-approved workaround to roll back firmware!! Shhhhh!!

Sorry OP, good questions. Hope you get some answers.
2017-8-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I believe that the reply from Tahoe Ed Here, saying that they will address Moshes concerns is about as open a statement you will see from DJI.
2017-8-3
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Jason Grubb Posted at 2017-8-3 13:59
I have exactly the same issues, well said. You letter is perfect.......even if DJI just responded advising they accept there is an issue and they are working on a fix would be nice.
Makes me sick that a company of this stature can have such poor customer service. ....why did we all buy these very expensive drones.....if the community all demanded refunds due to this firmware upgrade that has deemed the P4 s un useable......I bet within hours we'd all have a response and a plan resolve the issue in place. DJI ......sort it out...all this bad press isn't going to do you any good at all.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, we have seen some users experiencing issues with the newest P4 firmware and have alerted the engineers regarding a fix. Once we hear back from them, we'll post here about it.
2017-8-3
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-8-3 14:13
We've said it before, but I'll say it again, we have seen some users experiencing issues with the newest P4 firmware and have alerted the engineers regarding a fix. Once we hear back from them, we'll post here about it.

Sorry DJI Joe. I'm doing my best to stay positive here. I'm defending your role and the tough position that you moderators are in and trying to explain your reasons for moderating against methods of sidestepping approved processes.

But words like 'some users experiencing' and 'alterted the engineers' do not inspire confidence. Poll data suggests that slightly more than half of forum users are experiencing issues. That's slightly more than 'a pinch'. And the issues are significant enough to warrant serious concern. Many don't feel safe enough to fly - which is saying something for a group of people that do this in their spare time.

Whether you intended it to or not, your response gives the impression that you are simply kicking the can down the road. Many of us appreciate the complexities of providing a fix. But everyone is hoping that at some point we might get details that extend beyond 'It has been reported'. Just as an example:

The issue was reported to engineers on X July at 2:34pm
On X July, engineers confirmed that some devices may experience issues. This appears to be caused by XXX
The fix is not a straightforward one, because XXX; but engineers have said that a beta SHOULD be rolled out by X

This is the kind of information people are looking for. To say that it has simply been reported to engineers implies that - much like users talking to many mods - it is a one way channel of communication and nobody really knows if the issue has been acknowledged by the omnipotent and mysterious engineers at all.
2017-8-3
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-3 14:25
Sorry DJI Joe. I'm doing me best to stay positive here. I'm defending your role and the tough position that you moderators are in and trying to explain your reasons for moderating against methods of sidestepping approved processes.

But words like 'some users experiencing' and 'alterted the engineers' do not inspire confidence. Poll data suggests that slightly more than half of forum users are experiencing issues. That's slightly more than 'a pinch'. And the issues are significant enough to warrant serious concern. Many don't feel safe enough to fly - which is saying something for a group of people that do this in their spare time.

I appreciate you trying to stay positive. I, along with all other mods here, are trying our best to serve the community. I, along with you, want more info coming from the devs. However, until we get more info for you guys there is nothing more to do. This forum does not have direct lines to engineers and was not intended to be an extension of the support department. Make sure to alert our CS team about any issues you are having for maximum individual reach.

A lot of users come here to vent about their issues and I see a benefit of that. But it's important to keep in mind that this forum was designed specifically to be about the community and bringing DJI users together for discussion and knowledge sharing rather than just hating on policy or departments.

As forum administrator, all I can ask from you is to have patience, treat everyone with respect, and refrain from breaking any forum rules (not blaming you for any of this).  
2017-8-3
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-8-3 14:42
I appreciate you trying to stay positive. I, along with all other mods here, are trying our best to serve the community. I, along with you, want more info coming from the devs. However, until we get more info for you guys there is nothing more to do. This forum does not have direct lines to engineers and was not intended to be an extension of the support department. Make sure to alert our CS team about any issues you are having for maximum individual reach.

A lot of users come here to vent about their issues and I see a benefit of that. But it's important to keep in mind that this forum was designed specifically to be about the community and bringing DJI users together for discussion and knowledge sharing rather than just hating on policy or departments.

Thanks for the expanded response. As you say, it's great that DJI provides a platform like this in the first place and I applaud the mods for not rising to some of the comments on here.

If only there was slightly less to vent about, we'd all just be able to sit here and upvote videos of sunsets Many us had to beg, borrow and steal in order to own a Phantom 4. If you added my car, my wife's anniversary present and my food bill for the last few months together, it would still cost less than my bird. That kind of investment brings out the very worst in people; and while I feel for the mods, I'm afraid I feel for the consumers more.

Vent over ;)
2017-8-3
Use props
pgesler
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32766 ft
United States

Then why won't DJI allow us to roll back our firmware until DJI gets the latest version fixed?
2017-8-3
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Just out of interest, could you perhaps have a conversation with Natalia and give us a concise explanation of what happened with the beta firmware fix? After taking everyone's email addresses, she  sent me PM and literally told me to check Assistant 2 for the beta firmware.

Logic suggests that this means she was told that a beta release was imminent. She didn't collect emails and send PMs just to keep moral high. It would be great if we could get an explanation of what happened here.
2017-8-3
Use props
Dog Man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 34380 ft
United States

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, we have seen some users experiencing issues with the newest P4 firmware and have alerted the engineers regarding a fix. Once we hear back from them, we'll post here about it.

How can you say "some users experiencing issues with the new firmware" it the same software on all of the P4, it not bad on 1 or 2, do think that the hardware was bad, only happen at the firmware update, fast fix rollback firmware...................
2017-8-3
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-3 15:49
Just out of interest, could you perhaps have a conversation with Natalia and give us a concise explanation of what happened with the beta firmware fix? After taking everyone's email addresses, she  sent me PM and literally told me to check Assistant 2 for the beta firmware.

Logic suggests that this means she was told that a beta release was imminent. She didn't collect emails and send PMs just to keep moral high. It would be great if we could get an explanation of what happened here.

Working on getting some more insight regarding this beta firmware.
2017-8-3
Use props
pgesler
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32766 ft
United States

Thanks DJI Joe for caring.
2017-8-3
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
France

I sighn this letter
2017-8-5
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
France

Hello Joe,

I'm bit wondering about what1 you say, but in dead I believe your words...(This forum does not have direct lines to engineers and was not intended to be an extension of the support department)
So how can I understand all the comments of some admins here, who always said..." we communicate this to the engeneers (or programmers) and the working out the problem.."  words are similar.
I believe you that this forum has no connection to the support..at all. But why some people play like it has a secret connection ?
If the support, or the leaders of DJI would have the fun to read this here..they would be terrified. So they just not do it. That's Chines way, by the way.

Best idea would be to make the firmware to open source. Problems are done in very short time.
2017-8-5
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

T-R Posted at 2017-8-5 01:13
Hello Joe,

I'm bit wondering about what1 you say, but in dead I believe your words...(This forum does not have direct lines to engineers and was not intended to be an extension of the support department)

You have made a false dichotomy. I never said it has no connection, just not direct lines. Hope I'm being clear.
2017-8-7
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Jason Grubb Posted at 2017-8-3 13:59

Great letter, very well written. I concur
2017-8-7
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Its a shame DJI Joe because the majority of the forums usually is used for that very thing and its been a very positive experience. Unfortunately when the company you work for releases a firmware update that has some major bugs in it for thousands of users you really cant expect the users to just sit around on their thousand dollar equipment and sing kum ba ya.. Its truly unacceptable on every level and it really doesnt help DJIs case that before we got this firmware update we could downgrade if we had any problems and now that has also been removed so that DJI can force restrictions on its users. DJI has not only released buggy software but they also removed all means of using a different version of software, and for what purpose I may ask? To force users to upgrade... surely its beginning to seem like it wasn't worth it? How long and how many 1000s of dollars with DJI have to lose before they admit the messed up and fix this... Maybe if this was a SPARK or MAVIC issue we would have already had a fix.

I truly dont think its a coincidence that the US government dropped ALL DJI products 2 months after this firmware came out.
2017-8-7
Use props
lefty23
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1657625 ft
Canada

I have owned the P2, P3, and P4.  That's almost $6,000 dollars investment over the years.  I now have a drone that I don't deem safe to fly.  You never know when it's going to go into 30m mode, lose signal or operate erratically.  I cannot put my business on the line while you wait for a fix.

Without the ability to roll back shows that you care more about preventing 3rd party apps from taking over than you do about your customer's well being.  

You know there are other choices out there.  I never thought I'd look elsewhere to DJi, but sadly his will change the next time around unless something drastic is done.
2017-8-7
Use props
fansb79afd5d
lvl.1
United States

"However, until we get more info for you guys there is nothing more to do. This forum does not have direct lines to engineers and was not intended to be an extension of the support department. "

Need more info from "us guys"?? REALLY?   You have everything you need.. at least offer a rollback. Jeez.

Perphaps  all of your engineers and support staff should be required to spend 20 minutes a day reading the forum and issues.

2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

fansb79afd5d Posted at 2017-8-7 11:09
"However, until we get more info for you guys there is nothing more to do. This forum does not have direct lines to engineers and was not intended to be an extension of the support department. "

Need more info from "us guys"?? REALLY?   You have everything you need.. at least offer a rollback. Jeez.

Perhaps you should be required to spend more than 1 second to read MY post... I said "for you guys"... not "from".
2017-8-7
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
China

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-8-7 11:35
Perhaps you should be required to spend more than 1 second to read MY post... I said "for you guys"... not "from".

Joe, looks like not all her understand your talkings, at least sometimes. Instead blaming and been root u should be a bit more decent. You are Moderator of a board. Just that. Not our Boss neither a spokesman of DJI.
People already unhappy to write her problems here at all. I could spend my time better.

Unfriendly mods just help the CLIENT  (keep that name in mind)   to leave the product and going to made advert against.
The negative reaction of dji,  means NO REACTION AT ALL,    by trashing the property of the CLIENT with rubbish firmware,  makes easy to think if the other big in China, like Walkera, are not a good choise, too.

2017-8-7
Use props
MartyMcFly
New
Flight distance : 132188 ft
Germany

thread entry is very well written.
Nobody wants to wait for the first crash caused by the firmware.
We need answers or the option to roll back the firmware.
I really hope that the problematic firmware is not some kind of bad politics. Maybe somebody can report our issues to the press and help to write a open statement.
I also see a big communication problem here with DJI and i'am more than unhappy about the customer service. I don't want to send in my P4 if the firmware is causing all the problems. A lot of people support this assumption.
2017-8-7
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
China

There is here in China a customer hotline who runs straight to the Capital. All Chines know, and all are scared someone could use it. Multi language. If the complain is on the right side the effect is enormous high.
In this case, where a probably danger runs out of a firmware and could cause accidents with harm on humans, I'd could mean they confiscated all drohne of that production in the whole country inside of one week.
And they close the factory-and demolish it down. I have seen equivalent before here.
I guess DJI has more than one reason that nobody callers 1-2-3-4-5-6....no, that's the real number. And yes, they speak English. +86, by the way...in front.
Cheers
2017-8-8
Use props
Jason Grubb
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Any news on a fix dji Joe ?
2017-8-9
Use props
Smotz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59711 ft
United States

this worked for me

https://phantompilots.com/thread ... 0602.116642/page-22
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Jason Grubb Posted at 2017-8-9 02:35
Any news on a fix dji Joe ?

Not yet, Jason.
2017-8-9
Use props
Jason Grubb
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Any idea .......my warranty runs out in December ?
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Jason Grubb Posted at 2017-8-9 10:30
Any idea .......my warranty runs out in December ?

I personally don't have an idea. Because of your comment I have reached out once more to try to get insight into a timeline. Thanks.
2017-8-9
Use props
Jason Grubb
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-8-9 10:41
I personally don't have an idea. Because of your comment I have reached out once more to try to get insight into a timeline. Thanks.

Thanks DJI Joe, As my p4 is not safe to fly since the upgrade of new firmware, I would expect DJI as a good will gesture to extend my warranty period until you guys can offer a fix. can you confirm this please ?
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Jason Grubb Posted at 2017-8-9 10:45
Thanks DJI Joe, As my p4 is not safe to fly since the upgrade of new firmware, I would expect DJI as a good will gesture to extend my warranty period until you guys can offer a fix. can you confirm this please ?

Sorry, can't confirm this.
2017-8-9
Use props
Jason Grubb
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-8-9 10:50
Sorry, can't confirm this.

Anyone would think you work for DJI Joe ?......vague with answer as ever, must be the rule book you guys have to read.  so I can at least
The bad press this Phantom 4 upgrade has received is not good for DJI, I for sure will NOT ever purchase another product from DJI, I'm confident I'm not alone either. Mine is up for sale right now ! with 6 month warranty left, its been a bad experience  since this upgrade.
If you can provide an update on the firmware rollback or fix that would be much appreciated so I can at least sell the P4 which doesn't  have the worst ever firmware ever released and has grounded hundreds if not thousands of P4's
2017-8-9
Use props
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1000272 ft
United States

Another P4 that won't be flying until a firmware fix. Mine flew perfectly until 3 days ago when I updated my firmware. Flys okay when moving slow but decending or more than half throttle it's all over the place. Shakes violently and will slow down on its own. Very disappointing.
2017-8-9
Use props
Jason Grubb
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Morning Dji No another Fay here grounded for p4 flyers. What is Dji doing about that today ? Will it be another day they avoid the problem that have caused?
2017-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules