I'm out (but I'll be back)
2381 19 2017-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

After jumping through the many hoops to operate a drone commercially (only had to get my no. de SIRET), I'm out of flying, at least for a while. My entire Fly More Combo was stolen after thieves broke my windscreen and got access to the boot of the car and made off with all our luggage while on holiday.
As one of the earliest to get an MP, it's painful no longer having one, but we lost a lot in the theft and I won't be flying for awhile. With 2 kids and lots of stuff to replace, there are other priorities.   
I'm hoping the release of a MP2 isn't too far away and at that time I'll look at getting one again, but for now, I'll have to watch members of the forum's videos and be patient.  Thanks to all who've posted here. I've learned a lot from this community!
2017-7-29
Use props
Macdugel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 630577 ft
United States

Nothing is more infuriating than losing something valued to someone who has little regard of personal property.   I'm so sorry you've experienced that!  I hope we get to see you back on here sharing more videos and photos with your next DJI drone!! Best of luck to you!
2017-7-29
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Insurance didn't cover your losses? Sometimes things not covered on your car policy will be picked up by homeowners or renters insurance.
2017-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That sucks, hopefully nothing good comes out of this for the thieves. Hopefully it won't be long until your back flying. Good luck.
2017-7-29
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-7-29 09:45
Insurance didn't cover your losses? Sometimes things not covered on your car policy will be picked up by homeowners or renters insurance.

Sadly not. Checked with both. Am travelling across France with the image, below, on the car. It's been posted on FB, Instagram and Twitter.
It basically says that AXA has used weasel words to get out of paying anything.
Incidentally the lin, (if anyone cares to retweet, is here:
https://twitter.com/ggirling/status/891045998545457153
Will try and find the public Facebook link as well (they stole my MacBook, so trying to pull links off for FB is tricky on a mobile device).

IMG_5642.JPG
2017-7-29
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-29 10:14
That sucks, hopefully nothing good comes out of this for the thieves. Hopefully it won't be long until your back flying. Good luck.

Thanks and I hope I'm flying again soon. Sadly, a friend referred me to leboncoin, the French equivalent of Craigslist/Gumtree, where the thieves had posted it for 1000€. I tried to set up a user account to contact them with, but they'd sold it and removed the ad before I'd managed to and I'm kicking myself as I didn't get a screenshot before it had been pulled.
I sent leboncoin an email asking for the ad and explained why and they were less than helpful. I asked the police with whom I'd filed the initial report, whether they could assist, but they couldn't (and I suspect they had more pressing issues on their plate).
As you can imagine, I keep thinking "If only I'd thought to look on leboncoin 10 minutes earlier!"
2017-7-29
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

Macdugel Posted at 2017-7-29 09:07
Nothing is more infuriating than losing something valued to someone who has little regard of personal property.   I'm so sorry you've experienced that!  I hope we get to see you back on here sharing more videos and photos with your next DJI drone!! Best of luck to you!

Thanks...and I can't wait to get back!
2017-7-29
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Bummer! It would be great if DJI allowed the option of setting a pin code before allowing the bird to fly. It wouldn't help you get your MP back but I would derive some satisfaction knowing the thief or his fence wouldn't be able to launch.
2017-7-29
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

GMG Posted at 2017-7-29 11:13
Thanks...and I can't wait to get back!

Man, Sorry to hear this, wish you a speedy re-stock ! Lucky you were not here in the States, they would not have had to break your windscreen, they would have hijacked you, your car, and the family !!!
2017-7-29
Use props
Didiko
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18399 ft
Belgium

Maybe ask some collaboration from DJI if ever the serail number reappears on a flight log!

Would ask for it if I was you
2017-7-29
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

Didiko Posted at 2017-7-29 11:49
Maybe ask some collaboration from DJI if ever the serail number reappears on a flight log!

Would ask for it if I was you

I have given them the s/n but I understand that the s/n doesn't connect to the system. It's all managed via the user account data. Personally I don't see why you wouldn't be able to link this and even brick the MP, subject to providing DJI with the police report showing that the a/c had been stolen. Right now, I'm pretty annoyed that AXA has dodged paying anything on the insurance, despite the fact the car was locked, with nothing in sight. My policy specified that I had cover and the summary went so far as to bullet point a handful of points up front, including cover for theft and personal effects being transported. They said that yes, this was true...but only if the car had been stolen as well!  
2017-7-29
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

QuadKid Posted at 2017-7-29 11:18
Man, Sorry to hear this, wish you a speedy re-stock ! Lucky you were not here in the States, they would not have had to break your windscreen, they would have hijacked you, your car, and the family !!!

My young kids were affected enough!  Glad they didn't have to experience that! ;)
2017-7-29
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-7-29 11:15
Bummer! It would be great if DJI allowed the option of setting a pin code before allowing the bird to fly. It wouldn't help you get your MP back but I would derive some satisfaction knowing the thief or his fence wouldn't be able to launch.

If you could add a cartridge to shoot a stink bomb at them at the same time, that'd be gold!
2017-7-29
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

lets not get political here but...

i love how my GF thinks of france as such a dreamy place...

but this exactly thing is first thing i imagine when i hear of france.. cars being sashed up and luggage stolen.. being hassled, price gouged,  maybe even having hollowed out scorched shell of a car as only thing remaining....   poorly organized crimes. done mostly by gangs...
2017-7-29
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

soory for you...you will be back soon
2017-7-29
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-7-29 12:24
lets not get political here but...

i love how my GF thinks of france as such a dreamy place...

I'd hardly say that what happened is representative of life in France. I've never been robbed before and life here is generally very safe. Not sure where you're from, but if you look at the stats you may find that crime stats are no worse here than there. As I'm sure you know, often when we see reports of bad stuff, that doesn't necessarily reflect the fabric of day-to-day life.
2017-7-29
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

GMG Posted at 2017-7-29 14:09
I'd hardly say that what happened is representative of life in France. I've never been robbed before and life here is generally very safe. Not sure where you're from, but if you look at the stats you may find that crime stats are no worse here than there. As I'm sure you know, often when we see reports of bad stuff, that doesn't necessarily reflect the fabric of day-to-day life.

This stuff happens everywhere, anyplace, anytime, turn on the TV nothing but murder & mayhem here in the US. We escape to England once a year and I have to say, enjoy the hell out of it, the "Telly" over there is mostly normal stuff, local news & booby galore. We have Been to Paris, loved it, breakfast under the Eiffel Tower, Easter Mass at Notre Dame Cathedral, never had a problem, but they do exist.

All in all, these things can be replaced eventually. It sucks but glad all are safe.

2017-7-29
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GMG Posted at 2017-7-29 14:09

no you are right. im just saying, thats what first comes to my mind.  

it really depends on where you are and who is around..

i live in a very low crime area of the US..  but still

2017-7-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-7-29 14:44
no you are right. im just saying, thats what first comes to my mind.  

it really depends on where you are and who is around..

I'm sure you're a really nice fella but find your view somewhat bigoted. I live in the UK which suffers from criminal activity the same as any other country to a lesser or greater degree. Recently we've experienced home grown terrorism in the name of religion and political persuasion. These acts are not a reflection of the nation but more an example of disaffected individuals who for reasons of circumstance or thuggery have decided to take an antisocial path.

I feel sorry for the OP losing his possessions whilst on holiday, but this could have happened anywhere.  Having been burgled a couple of times the feeling of your personal space having been violated, as well as losing valuable possessions, both financially and emotionally, hits hard. To find that the insurance company policy doesn't cover theft seems like a fundamental flaw in that company's t&c's. It may be worth exploring this further to see if there is a financial ombudsman that can arbitrate this decision for you.
2017-7-29
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-7-29 21:34
I'm sure you're a really nice fella but find your view somewhat bigoted. I live in the UK which suffers from criminal activity the same as any other country to a lesser or greater degree. Recently we've experienced home grown terrorism in the name of religion and political persuasion. These acts are not a reflection of the nation but more an example of disaffected individuals who for reasons of circumstance or thuggery have decided to take an antisocial path.

I feel sorry for the OP losing his possessions whilst on holiday, but this could have happened anywhere.  Having been burgled a couple of times the feeling of your personal space having been violated, as well as losing valuable possessions, both financially and emotionally, hits hard. To find that the insurance company policy doesn't cover theft seems like a fundamental flaw in that company's t&c's. It may be worth exploring this further to see if there is a financial ombudsman that can arbitrate this decision for you.

im only saying first thing i imagine not this is what france is like.   i was in france during the more recent riots new paris.  

i was in the UK when the underground bombing happened as well at rush hour...

ya, my timing is fairly crap...2 times i vacationed when extremists decided to make a statement..
bring it back to my home ground as well:  

its similar to when someone mentions detroit, sure great places in detroit right now..however first thing i imagine is being shot at or having some thug try some crap...  similar to new orleans... great place no doubt but risk and crime is very high..

and even so all of these places i first hand experienced both positive and negative...paris, uk, detroit, new orleans..i would return to all in a heartbeat when i get the chance!.   

dont twist my statements
2017-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules