when is it too hot to fly?
2657 7 2017-8-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bluebus19
lvl.1
United States

Hey everyone, Im new to piloting a drone and I live in Sunny CA.  For those of you who are not formilar with the state, CA can get really hot in certain places (100 plus degree is common). So i just wanted to know, what is the hottest tempiture I could safely fly my drone? The last thing i want is something to mess up or have the drone fall from the sky due to heat.  
2017-8-3
Use props
TheCyberKnight
lvl.3
Canada

The manual states the following operating temperatures:
  • For the Spark, 32 ~ 104 F (0 ~ 40 C)
  • For the intelligent batteries, 41 ~ 104 F (5 ~ 40 C)

Considering it's in the air, you may have a small additional margin.

2017-8-3
Use props
SteelTallon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204094 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flew mine in southern Idaho last month, on average it was 105 +-.  Although, both the Mavic and Spark flew ok.  I would not recommend it, they were both HOT to the touch and my phone was the same.  I stopped flying, as it made me nervous.
2017-8-3
Use props
Bluebus19
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the info.
2017-8-3
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flew at the top end of the temp range, and it was the only time ever when using otg that I experienced connection issues.  Two temporary disconnects.  Fortunately I was able to land without incident.
2017-8-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

You'll find it in the specifications of the Spark. Here is a link for your reference. http://www.dji.com/spark/info#specs
2017-8-3
Use props
HillcountryDron
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79544 ft
United States

I flew today in mid 90's but my iPad shut down from being too hot in the sun! Spark was fine but that was enough
2017-8-4
Use props
djiuser_TWQbZfB
lvl.3
Flight distance : 557818 ft
United States

HillcountryDron Posted at 2017-8-4 21:06
I flew today in mid 90's but my iPad shut down from being too hot in the sun! Spark was fine but that was enough

I've had the same thing happen to my phone because of the heat. Screen quit responding because  the phone was burning up, but the rc stayed connected and I still had full control. Thank god I believe in flying LOS and have flown some toy grade drones, I've gotten OK at figuring out which way I'm pointing and just brought it home in one piece.

On a side note, you can"t really tell if you"ve turned the video recording off, which can cause a corrupt mp4 file. But thats a whole nother subject.
2017-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules