New to drones
1367 13 2017-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Just 1 More
New
United States

Just picked up my first drone ever.. The Mavic Pro. I'm a complete new B to the whole drone thing. At 54 years old, this old dog is learning new tricks.. LOL
I feel I'm getting the flying part down pretty quick but the camera settings and use are going to be the hard part for me. I find myself getting real nervous when the unit is out of sight and I'm flying based on just the screen. Hopefully that will change as I use it more and get used to it.
2017-8-6
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 427684 ft
United States

The Mavic Pro is my first high end drone.  I know first hand how scary it can be flying and you end up having to look at the screen so you can fly it because your flew out of LOS, but yes you will get use to it in time.  
2017-8-6
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

6 months later and i still get nervous when she is out of sight - i tell myself that the nervousness is good excercise for my heart other times i worry it may kill me:-) bware the wind!! that lesson is probably gonna come up at some stage. Avoid winds over 10m/s or be upwind if it is blowing. Do some wind research - work out what 10m/s feels like and always remeber that it is probably more wind above you than where you are. Drone fly aways always involves wind and the users failure to recognise, avoid or handle this.
2017-8-6
Use props
Broken Deviant
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176919 ft
United States

Congratulations and welcome. If you have the funds, get yourself DJI Goggles. You can see much better and it takes your flying to a whole new level. I have been flying for years have love it. My Mavic is the best thing I have ever flown.
2017-8-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good luck it's a ball of fun, there are many videos on you tube with best camera settings, while your studying just use auto focus, review your results, then try some manual settings you can set these while Mavic is on the ground started, then it's only a matter of pressing shutter buttons.
2017-8-6
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Just take it slow and steady and you'll be fine. It's totally worth it when you get your confidence!
2017-8-7
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Been flying for a while now and still getting adrenaline rush every time I lose sight of the MP.
I know where it is on the map/radar but not seeing it w/ your eyes and getting warnings from the display/RC it's heart pounding.
Take it easy @ 1st few rounds, you'll get there.........HAPPY FLYING!
2017-8-7
Use props
Just 1 More
New
United States

Thanks guys,, i'm glad to hear i'm not the only one with anxiety issues.. LOL
I ordered the PGY-Tech bracket to use my Samsung S2 tablet. I think the bigger screen will help me with seeing things better.
2017-8-7
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

I've always been used to RC flying in VLOS, really admire you guys. Still new to the Mavic, my first high end $$$ drone too. Besides looking at the FPV and map/compass, are there any other tips to lookout for when the drone is out of sight?
2017-8-7
Use props
Zorrr2
lvl.3
United States

Just 1 More Posted at 2017-8-7 06:18
Thanks guys,, i'm glad to hear i'm not the only one with anxiety issues.. LOL
I ordered the PGY-Tech bracket to use my Samsung S2 tablet. I think the bigger screen will help me with seeing things better.

I agree with you . . the larger tablet ( I use an IPAD Air) is great for seeing what is happening !!!

Here is a few hints that may help you get that smooth video capture that we all want. Your MP has a real nice feature that you can activate once you are up in the air . . its called . . Tripod Mode . . it basicly sloowwws all your controls down so your video is smooth  !!!   You will find videos on YouTube on how to turn this on.  Now I just picked up a set of ND FILTERS for my MP . . think of them as sunglasses for your drone. These will allow you to adjust your camera to get better colors and depth in your videos . . again . . loads of videos on YouTube about these and how to use them.

Bottom line . . have fun . . keep it in LOS for a while . . build up the confidence in it and YOU !!!   GL
2017-8-7
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

If you are in the US, look into purchasing a Personal Article Policy from Statefarm if you don't have DJI Refresh.  $60 bucks a year, covers crashes, flyaways and theft. No deductible.  Will take some of the nervousness out of flying.  #GETOUTANDDRONE
2017-8-7
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fly safe, take your time. Be aware wind speed can be critical to the safe return of your Mavic. Best of luck flying

2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Welcome to the Mavic Family. I would recommend you to practice in LOS for a certain time. Also, a fully pre-flight checklist and a good flight environment selection might be helpful to build up the confidence.

2017-8-7
Use props
RobDownUnder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103609 ft
Australia

I have had my first drone, indeed first RC aircraft at age 71 and love it. I decided to get comfortable flying first and once confident, then doing more serious photography.  Test out RTH, learn to make adjustments on monitor and RC controller, and use the bug to navigate home on the map.
It is cool to be able to hover while lining up the photos, and because you fly confidently, you will do well. A landing mat is also a good idea as RTH will auto land with precision if you have a good mat.
2017-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules