1724 26 2017-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am deciding whether or not to bring my Spark to the Aug 21st Solar Eclipse. I don't think it will fly high enough to see the moon shadow moving across and Spark will not stay in the air long enough to film the darkening of the sky. I could fly it up and park it there during the full solar occultation. Any idea on camera settings I should use and how best to employ the Spark during Solar Eclipse?
2017-8-10
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

This will cause problems for you...  and your spark.  To much significant interference during the event.
2017-8-10
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

With that being said it was something that I was considering as well...
2017-8-10
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-8-10 06:06
This will cause problems for you...  and your spark.  To much significant interference during the event.

What kinds of significant signal interference are you referring to?
2017-8-10
Use props
ThirdEyeFlyin'
lvl.2
Flight distance : 162444 ft
Canada

Don't really see the point as the drone is an aerial camera platform. To observe the eclipse via this platform means that  the shot will be oblique in the extreme and you could get the same result standing on a hilltop. I'm curious though what the effect might be.
2017-8-10
Use props
pashas_dad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 982723 ft
United States

I was considering the same but consider how much of your attention is taken up by flying the aircraft.  You will miss a truly remarkable event.  
I'm leaving it home!
2017-8-10
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I guess I won't be using my Spark for the Eclipse, but I will leave it in my trunk just in case. With my luck, it will probably be pouring rain on the spot I have chosen on the 21st.
2017-8-10
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

By the vary nature of the process, the spark won't be able to see the moon occlude the sun.  But the spark could observe the ground effects (the darkening at mid day).  That would be pretty cool.

The spark could show a view of all the people looking up :-)
2017-8-10
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Not to shoot the eclipse.. but from high up you might see the moon's shadow moving across the earth.. and good shots of people looking up... just think... some of them will probably be damaging their eyes beyond repair while you are recording them.
2017-8-10
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

LouisP Posted at 2017-8-10 12:58
Not to shoot the eclipse.. but from high up you might see the moon's shadow moving across the earth.. and good shots of people looking up... just think... some of them will probably be damaging their eyes beyond repair while you are recording them.

Probably not at 400 feet.  The view would probably need to be higher (not condoning or condemning anything, and not judging).
2017-8-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

For camera settings, we suggest the camera not facing the sun directly to prevent the solar burning the camera. You can add an ND Filter onto the camera.
2017-8-15
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-8-10 06:21
What kinds of significant signal interference are you referring to?

Yes, I'd like to know the answer to this too...
2017-8-15
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-15 01:44
For camera settings, we suggest the camera not facing the sun directly to prevent the solar burning the camera. You can add an ND Filter onto the camera.

You should actually use a Solar filter if you intend to photograph the actual eclipse.  Most ND filters are not enough to protect the camera sensor.  Although you can remove the filter while you in totality, if you are fortunate enough to be in that locale.
2017-8-15
Use props
Prezmc
lvl.1
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-8-15 04:51
Yes, I'd like to know the answer to this too...

Ditto on this. What interference?
2017-8-15
Use props
Hankmeister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19465 ft
United States

I witnessed the last total eclipse in the USA back in Feb 1979 in Montana..it was awesome!! I bought the Spark especially for the 2017 eclipse. The most amazing thing I remember is not looking at the sun/moon, but looking at the Doom and End of the World approaching from the west!! I hope to be on high ground and have the Spark fly high above me to record the Doom approaching. When totality occurs I hope to fly high above and record panorama  of the 360 deg sunset/sunrise. Then I hope to record looking to the West, of Goodness and Light approaching as if Mother nature had answered my prayers and saved mankind. Hoping of good weather.
2017-8-15
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope that most people realize that pointing any lens directly at the sun is a bad idea and could literally set your camera on fire.
2017-8-15
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Prezmc Posted at 2017-8-15 05:50
Ditto on this. What interference?

Fly with caution, there will be significant satellite interference.  This is what I've been told.  The event is also suppose to cause several power outages as well.  It appears by the response from one of the moderators, that they don't appear too concerned.  
2017-8-15
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

The sun will not emit any more solar radiation than any other day. It's just the moon passing in front of it. However, the radiation of the sun will still be present causing Cortical blindness if you look up during the full eclipse. So... don't look at the sun or moon..... I would fly.... Just sayin...
2017-8-15
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-8-15 11:11
I hope that most people realize that pointing any lens directly at the sun is a bad idea and could literally set your camera on fire.

A flaming Spark dropping out of the eclipsing sky. Sounds like a Wagnerian opera.
2017-8-15
Use props
Hankmeister
lvl.2
United States

you will see the moon shadow darkening the sky way before the total eclipse...awesome. Panorama of 360 deg sunset/sunrise during totality. Use your Spark for this amazing event.
2017-8-15
Use props
Hankmeister
lvl.2
United States

ThirdEyeFlyin' Posted at 2017-8-10 06:24
Don't really see the point as the drone is an aerial camera platform. To observe the eclipse via this platform means that  the shot will be oblique in the extreme and you could get the same result standing on a hilltop. I'm curious though what the effect might be.

Observing the eclipse is a lot more than looking at the moon and sun. Having height makes the horizon further away to see the darkening of the sky (and lightning of the sky) at a distance
2017-8-15
Use props
Hankmeister
lvl.2
United States

pashas_dad Posted at 2017-8-10 06:24
I was considering the same but consider how much of your attention is taken up by flying the aircraft.  You will miss a truly remarkable event.  
I'm leaving it home!

Don't leave it at home. the main event is the approach of the shadow which you can see at a distance film it!
2017-8-15
Use props
Hankmeister
lvl.2
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-8-10 11:25
I guess I won't be using my Spark for the Eclipse, but I will leave it in my trunk just in case. With my luck, it will probably be pouring rain on the spot I have chosen on the 21st.

hopefully we will both have a clear sky. Get that Spark out of the trunk and film the approaching shadow and film the panorama at height of the 360 deg sunset/sunrise
2017-8-15
Use props
Hankmeister
lvl.2
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-10 12:41
By the vary nature of the process, the spark won't be able to see the moon occlude the sun.  But the spark could observe the ground effects (the darkening at mid day).  That would be pretty cool.

The spark could show a view of all the people looking up :-)

A lot more than that! The approaching shadow will seem like the end of the world is coming and 360 deg sunrise sunset is amazing.
2017-8-15
Use props
Hankmeister
lvl.2
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-10 13:27
Probably not at 400 feet.  The view would probably need to be higher (not condoning or condemning anything, and not judging).

You will see the shadow approaching not just the shadow on the ground, but the sky itself above the ground will be dark. I have seen it ....the most amazing the I have ever seen
2017-8-15
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-8-15 14:30
A flaming Spark dropping out of the eclipsing sky. Sounds like a Wagnerian opera.

Based on other responses in this thread, I'm almost certain we will see that post on 8/22.
2017-8-16
Use props
djiuser_gZqopef
lvl.1
United States

We had spectacular results with the Spark during totality.  The video posted to YouTube is entitled, appropriately enough, "The best DJI Spark 2017 total eclipse video."
Enjoy!  Mike from Kauai
2017-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules