Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello guys
Bad timing for me as I'm on a 3 week vacation from the UK over in the USA.  My gimbal has just started flip up and down each time I switch the Mavic on.  It has an audible clunk as it keeps on flipping in the vertical axis hitting the stop each end of its vertical cycle.
The gimbal can swivel freely in all directions without hitting anything, but it seems hellbent on flipping up and down each time it switched on.

I've recalibfrated the IMU and tried repeatedly to callibrate the gimbal but it always fails around 52%.
If I click 'recentre gimbal' it usually points it straight down vertical. But the gimbal wheel works fine most of the time and I can still fly and shoot.  If I'm flying fast and stop suddenly, the gimbal gets confused and can show a picture indicating it's around 20' down beyond the vertical, so my picture is showing land almost upside down beneath and behind the Mavic.
If I fly and stop suddenly again, it can right itself and I can carry on flying and taking pictures.

Something is clearly wrong; I can't send it in as I'm travelling around the Rocky Mountains and I wonder if it had a knock on the flight as carry on luggage that's confused it a bit.

Any advice?

Cheers

Ian

2017-8-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi I don't know if you've tried to calibrate this way, you probably have, there are loads of you tube videos that might help.

2017-8-10
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

1) Can you see any obvious physical damage?
2) Does the camera easily go to portrait mode and back?
3) The gimbal is attached by a couple of elastics, are they all intact?
4) Can you move the gimbal freely by hand without knocking against anything?
5) Are all the electric cables intact?
6) Is there any dirt (dead/live insect?) blocking the gimbal's movement?
2017-8-10
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

is it not possible to RESTORE SETTINGS - not gonna pull my mavic out now but i have seen it in the menu - perhaps worth a try - also: if yr gimbal setting is at +30 degrees then maybe put if off for a while, maybe that does something?
2017-8-10
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-10 07:54
1) Can you see any obvious physical damage?
2) Does the camera easily go to portrait mode and back?
3) The gimbal is attached by a couple of elastics, are they all intact?

Hi all
Thanks for the replies.  Marsan, to answer those points:

1) Can you see any obvious physical damage? No; none at all.
2) Does the camera easily go to portrait mode and back? Yes;
3) The gimbal is attached by a couple of elastics, are they all intact? Yes; both elastics fitted as usual
4) Can you move the gimbal freely by hand without knocking against anything? Yes; it can be moved in every direction with no rubbing or knocking at all
5) Are all the electric cables intact? Yes
6) Is there any dirt (dead/live insect?) blocking the gimbal's movement?  No.

I've also tried resetting the gimbal settings to factory settings and as said, when it's flying, I can use the roll wheel to move it up and down fine. However when it flies sideways, the gimbal hopelessly fails to stay level and you get a real sloping horizon (40' or more) until you stop flying sideways and the Mavic levels out.
So I'm able tt use around 1/4 of the video I shoot
And of course, I'm a bit worriied about the knocking it does on power up as it cycles vertically through its full cycle, from end stop to end stop....

I can see this having to go in for repair, but it seems daft as there is no apparent damage whatsoever and it literally seems just disorientated and confused....

Ian

2017-8-10
Use props
Tekameleon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1308291 ft
Canada

Hoping you get this sorted Ian - and looking forward to new videos on your channel after the trip!
2017-8-10
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Wellsi Posted at 2017-8-10 17:15
Hi all
Thanks for the replies.  Marsan, to answer those points:

You mention "both elastics", but there are more.
There are four elastics in total, front and rear, suspending the gimbal.
In fact each elastic is in reality three thin ones.
Have a look whether they are all intact and whether they are all still securely attached to the top plate of the gimbal compartment.
You may need a very strong light to examine the rear elastics of the gimbal.
2017-8-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Was there any impact damages happened to the drone? Had you tried to calibrate the gimbal? Could you please provide a video for this case? Thank you.
Please check the gimbal as the tutorial introduced first:
2017-8-11
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-11 02:48
Was there any impact damages happened to the drone? Had you tried to calibrate the gimbal? Could you please provide a video for this case? Thank you.
Please check the gimbal as the tutorial introduced first:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnXekYjEJA8&list=PL8-vxWY64sBNLusG0MvxD4Dm-tX4cnvzX&index=12

Thanks to both.  Yes, all four supports are in place. There is no damage and the Mavic was safely in a hard protective case the whole trip.  
I've uploaded a video showing the start up behaviour.
I have also tried calibrating via DJI Assist 2 but get a 'Frame alignment error' each time.
Calibrating via the Go 4 app only gets as far as 52% then fails.
To recap; the gimbal flows in all directions easily and without any obstructions

2017-8-11
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-8-11 07:37
Thanks to both.  Yes, all four supports are in place. There is no damage and the Mavic was safely in a hard protective case the whole trip.  
I have also tried calibrating via DJI Assist 2 but get a 'Frame alignment error' each time.

Mine did this months ago (so a few firmwares ago).  When I updated the firmware, it (the gimbal) reverted back to normal (where level is level).

So, perhaps try refreshing the firmware (assuming you're already on .900).  Then IMU, gimbal, and R/C stick/wheel calibration.

**When updating the firmware, you'll get a 100% success rate if you have R/C on & connected to Mavic (also on) BUT with no phone.  Then plug R/C into computer & do the whole DJI Assistant update or refresh that way.  This also unsticks locked batteries with the 2 center lights blinking.  With all of the updating I've done with these Mavics, THIS WAY is the only 100% way to properly update/refresh firmware.
2017-8-11
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

Hello Wellsi,

Doing a factory restore + refresh firmware is worth a try. After that, continue to calibrate the VPS (DJI Assistant 2) and gimbal (DJI Go 4) see if it helps (not sure if both VPS sensors and gimbal calibrations are related to each other).

As for the 'Frame alignment error', it was only yesterday I assisted a friend having this exact issue with his new MP resulting in only max 2.2km/hr forward speed. Try a different monitor resolution and make sure only one monitor is active if by any chance you have turned on multi-monitor support on your PC/Laptop.

I hope you'd have this fixed soon as not to ruin your vacation.
2017-8-11
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

I agree with the others suggesting to reload the FW, if that is possible for you.
Perhaps this gimbal issue is a software glitch.
2017-8-11
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tried it all..... no avail.... full reset... none of the Assist 2 would work either and so I'll have to send it in for repair when I'm home.  I now own 2 mavics. after a quick visit to Best Buy Park City (and another $1,000).  

Ian

2017-8-12
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Wellsi Posted at 2017-8-12 06:49
Tried it all..... no avail.... full reset... none of the Assist 2 would work either and so I'll have to send it in for repair when I'm home.  I now own 2 mavics. after a quick visit to Best Buy Park City (and another $1,000).   

Ian

A pertinent question: Is your second Mavic working correctly?
2017-8-12
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-12 07:26
A pertinent question: Is your second Mavic working correctly?

Well, it's still updating the firmware.....  I've just unpacked it and will be trying it out shortly......
2017-8-12
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just did my first ever inside flight (as still in hotel room) and all seems fine; gimbal moving perfectly and Mavic has updated to latest firmware no problem...

Ian
2017-8-12
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Wellsi Posted at 2017-8-12 07:30
Well, it's still updating the firmware.....  I've just unpacked it and will be trying it out shortly......

OK, be the Mighty Propeller with you and your new Mavic...
2017-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules