Going on a Cruise and Sparky too?
2304 19 2017-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lucsvette
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Hi, I'm going on a Royal Caribbean cruise in March 2018.  I was thinking of bring my spark but noticed most, including Royal Caribbean has a restriction of what you can bring on board and aerial drones included.

Has anyone travelled with their drones on a cruise and how was the experience.  Please keep this post clean and only reply if you've travelled in the past.

2017-8-10
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

defo wont alow drones on cruise..sorry..read a artical (somewhere) cant remeber where but i was going to do the same as you so checked it first
2017-8-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You could contact cruise company to see if you could bring it but will only be using on shore, it's a long shot but you never know.
2017-8-10
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've wondered what the behavior of a spark would be on a cruise ship.  I've speculated that if you use GPS and not gestures, as soon as you elevate the drone it's heading towards the back of the ship.  I wondered if it would behave the same using gestures.

As soon as the drone goes up, unless you fly it "forward" immediately, it's going to stay "stationary".  But the boat is not staying "stationary".  So from your perspective the drone will be flying towards the back of the boat immediately at whatever speed the boat is moving forward.
2017-8-10
Use props
lucsvette
Second Officer
Canada

I know cruise companies say no aerial drones; was wondering if with registering it with them if they would allow it on board for the sole purpose of using them at Ports of Call only.  But after doing much research; looks like i'll leave it at home
2017-8-11
Use props
Jptsrone
lvl.2
United States

Last cruise i was on (Royal Caribbean out of Jersey) was over a year ago. They had drones on the sign at check in with things you couldn't take on board. I have read over on the cruise critic forum though that they now will allow them in port lockers. Basicaly you give it to them when you get on the boat and they give it to you whenever you get off (ports of call). Give them a call and check though because its second hand info at best.
2017-8-11
Use props
lucsvette
Second Officer
Canada

Jptsrone Posted at 2017-8-11 07:59
Last cruise i was on (Royal Caribbean out of Jersey) was over a year ago. They had drones on the sign at check in with things you couldn't take on board. I have read over on the cruise critic forum though that they now will allow them in port lockers. Basicaly you give it to them when you get on the boat and they give it to you whenever you get off (ports of call). Give them a call and check though because its second hand info at best.

Thanks for the info.  I will call them next week
2017-8-11
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

This is right from the Royal Caribbean website....
Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 4.52.42 PM.png
2017-8-11
Use props
quikee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54590 ft
Slovenia

No baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, bows and arrows either... I predict this will be a boring cruise
2017-8-11
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would take it along. Worst they could do would be to confiscate it until the end of the cruise.
What you do on land is none of their business.
And I'm sure there will be NO illegal drugs on board!!!

2017-8-11
Use props
TylerDurden
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6263 ft
United States

I took my p4p on a Royal Carribean Cruise march 2017.  Everyone I talked to at RC said wasn't allowed, figured I'd ask for forgiveness rather than permission.  Got it on the ship with no problem, on returning first day from excursion security saw it and informed me I was not allowed to have in stateroom, they would have to hold it.  I asked if I could get it each morning to use on excursions, they had no problem with that, let me keep charger and batteries in room and they had it waiting each morning at departure area.  The ship I was on they were very cool about it.  Got some amazing footage down there.  I would not attempt to fly on or around ship though.  
2017-8-12
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

TylerDurden Posted at 2017-8-12 11:12
I took my p4p on a Royal Carribean Cruise march 2017.  Everyone I talked to at RC said wasn't allowed, figured I'd ask for forgiveness rather than permission.  Got it on the ship with no problem, on returning first day from excursion security saw it and informed me I was not allowed to have in stateroom, they would have to hold it.  I asked if I could get it each morning to use on excursions, they had no problem with that, let me keep charger and batteries in room and they had it waiting each morning at departure area.  The ship I was on they were very cool about it.  Got some amazing footage down there.  I would not attempt to fly on or around ship though.

Nice to read they were so reasonable.
2017-8-12
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Also, even if on board use was permitted, the compass would go nuts from all the steel on the ship.
2017-8-12
Use props
P3T3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 701211 ft
  • >>>
United States

2017-8-12
Use props
Jptsrone
lvl.2
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-8-11 17:28
I would take it along. Worst they could do would be to confiscate it until the end of the cruise.
What you do on land is none of their business.
And I'm sure there will be NO illegal drugs on board!!!

Did this with my leatherman and my travel iron. Never saw either again. Granted I didn't make much of a fuss but my point is it may not just be waiting for you when you return.
2017-8-14
Use props
JimmmyWA
New
Flight distance : 493658 ft
Australia

Same problem, departing in 3 weeks and bought my Mavic 2 months ago just for the ports of call.

Read the restrictions this morning and to my horror saw no drones allowed - full stop.

Have emailed company and suggested they keep the propellers in an envelope and hand them over when getting off at a port. Just like they take divers knives from them and give them back for the dive. Also suggested the drone owner signs a document stating they have no other propellers, and will not attempt to fly the drone on board. Drones/uavs are the way of the future, so hopefully they will consider this.

Totally understand that some idiots would love to try flying on board, or from their balcony - destroying the privacy of their neighbours.
2017-9-3
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

Dont forget, the problem is not just with the cruise ship, but the local laws at each port of call. Each day you are visiting a different country, so check the local regulations there. Don't want to end up droneless, or arrested, just for the sake of some cool pics.
2017-9-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to hear some reason still exists.
2017-9-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to hear some reason still exists.
2017-9-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

P3T3 Posted at 2017-8-12 19:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utsiisH10Mc

Thanks for sharing!
I must say it was a bit over exposed, but lovely footage!
2017-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules