Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Another lost Spark
594 19 3 days ago
fansb3a41e40
Beginner
France

Third day, Spark gone. That was an expensive experiment. I was using the iPhone as a wifi controller, connection was lost. Crash somewhere. The find my drone location is not correct and the last flight log seems far too short to correspond to the final flight. The compass had been calibrated but previously I had noticed that it seemed surprisingly easy to loose wifi connection while flying. Obviously I'm not happy but I am particularly concerned about the safety implications if I hadn't been flying over a bit of wild countryside. Reading posts about other lost Sparks I guess I shouldn't hope for anything.
3 days ago
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 74132
United States

Interesting...  yes it’s crazy..  your spark likely crashed into something.. if battery was low it should return to home.. assuming you let it get a home point in GPS.  Also 350 foot homepoint limit set in WiFi controller mode, meaning it should fly away more then 350 feet from take off..   It should doesn’t mean it will listen well.. but.. .  My S8 when I’m tried direct WiFi to spark connection would disconnect a lot too but it would get stuck in command loop I think with app crash and would fly away until it connected or until it hit 350 feet away from take off spot..

With my RC using OTG on my iPad mini 2  I have a weird quark where if I loose signal a mile out it won’t return home.. just hovers in place.. really worrying and annoying when spark isn’t somewhere I can reach.  luckily for me my spark was high enough once it got to low battery it turned back and returned home itself and reconnected.    Defiantly some software quarks causing issues.  
3 days ago
Use props
fansb3a41e40
Beginner
Greece

Battery was full, there was very little wind, excellent GPS signal. Spent three hours in 37 degree Greek heat looking for it in the undergrowth but nothing where it was supposed to be.
3 days ago
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 74132
United States

fansb3a41e40 Posted at 2017-8-13 12:42
Battery was full, there was very little wind, excellent GPS signal. Spent three hours in 37 degree Greek heat looking for it in the undergrowth but nothing where it was supposed to be.

well, assuming other systems worked as they should have, which is a long shot given how badly some sparks behave.  and assuming no one stole it.  it should be within a 350- 400 foot radius of where it started..  if the spark was stuck in a command loop with the disconnection then yea, it could be  2 - 5 miles away at worst if nothing for it to hit entire time..  

DJi needs to correctly address your issue here, i do not believe you are at fault.. if you would like to, you could post your log files for us to maybe try to help you locate it and see where the problems may have occurred and maybe get DJi's offical help.
3 days ago
Use props
bapski
Hobbyist
Flight distance : 1471
United States

Curious to know what happened
3 days ago
Use props
DJI Diana
China

Sorry for your loss, I would recommend you contact the Support to start a case, provide the flight records to them, see if they can find out what happened. Please refer to the link below to contact the Support. http://www.dji.com/support
3 days ago
Use props
fansb3a41e40
Beginner
Greece

I've started a case with DJI. I'm not sure how to share logs here. I don't believe the Spark crashed far from where it should have RTH or that it was very far from me when I lost control / contact with it. But the terrain is very rough, full of thorn bushes and a remarkable amount of stones and bushes all Spark color!
3 days ago
Use props
larrymull
Beginner
Flight distance : 19927
Australia

in 37 degree greek heat could that have affected the batteries and hence overheating?
3 days ago
Use props
fansb3a41e40
Beginner
Greece

I doubt it was the heat. The Spark wasn't exposed for long. It's something to do with losing contact and - apparently - the failsafe systems not working as they should.
3 days ago
Use props
fansb3a41e40
Beginner
Greece

Update : after carefully looking at the flight log I returned and found my Spark. Upside down in a (grey) tree. I think I'll leave this post up with a few conclusions that may be of use to a novice like me. The wifi did disconnect. This happens quite easily, it appears. You really need to keep your eyes on your drone all the time which is counter-intuitive when something goes wrong on your screen. It is also hard to do when you are concentrating on what you are filming. Perhaps, when you are learning, it would be good to go out with a partner. Knowing where your drone is comes first. Find my drone (I don't know why) gave me different locations at different times. Only the flight log was correct. If you fly over difficult terrain, consider the difficulty of recovering your drone if anything goes wrong. Only having forward obstacle avoidance is a big deal. I suspect I flew sideways into a tree when I had lost visual feedback for a moment. Oh, and it might be a good idea to put your contact details on your aircraft. I hope that's if use. If not, and I'm just particularly dumb not to have considered all that before, let me know and I'll take this down.
3 days ago
Use props
Indi91
Hobbyist
Flight distance : 16940
Asia/Pacific Region

fansb3a41e40 Posted at 2017-8-13 23:10
Update : after carefully looking at the flight log I returned and found my Spark. Upside down in a (grey) tree. I think I'll leave this post up with a few conclusions that may be of use to a novice like me. The wifi did disconnect. This happens quite easily, it appears. You really need to keep your eyes on your drone all the time which is counter-intuitive when something goes wrong on your screen. It is also hard to do when you are concentrating on what you are filming. Perhaps, when you are learning, it would be good to go out with a partner. Knowing where your drone is comes first. Find my drone (I don't know why) gave me different locations at different times. Only the flight log was correct. If you fly over difficult terrain, consider the difficulty of recovering your drone if anything goes wrong. Only having forward obstacle avoidance is a big deal. I suspect I flew sideways into a tree when I had lost visual feedback for a moment. Oh, and it might be a good idea to put your contact details on your aircraft. I hope that's if use. If not, and I'm just particularly dumb not to have considered all that before, let me know and I'll take this down.

So glad that you got it back and hopefully it is fine.
3 days ago
Use props
HomePoint
Student Pilot
Flight distance : 85931
United Kingdom

"I suspect I flew sideways into a tree when I had lost visual feedback for a moment."
Probably the answer to many lost or damaged drones.
2 days ago
Use props
Thor1
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 16820
Canada

HomePoint Posted at 2017-8-14 00:11
"I suspect I flew sideways into a tree when I had lost visual feedback for a moment."
Probably the answer to many lost or damaged drones.

it is certainly possible but we have no idea.
2 days ago
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 366522
  • >>>
Ireland

It seems to me flying using phone wifi you have the drone within VLOS as it will be no more than 80 metres away, your in an open field as you say, how do you manage to lose it so easily?
2 days ago
Use props
Andy6178
Beginner
Flight distance : 538
Malaysia

Glad to hear that u found ur spark, but i m the not lucky one, i lost it already, no one have return to me, i also using phone to connect that time and it lost wifi signal and don't know fly to where already, i think if u want play safely must use remote to flight, atleast better than use only phone
2 days ago
Use props
Charles Adams
Hobbyist
Flight distance : 37958
United States

A thought/lesson for many regarding these circumstances:  I know that many don't want to hear it, but flying Line of Sight with the Spark is extremely important.  As long as we have odd behavior and unexplained events, it's important to keep eyes on craft so that it can be easily recovered.  fansb3a41e40 may have in fact been flying LOS, and because of distance lost track of exact location.  For other flyers thought, especially new flyers, it is very important (it's also FAA regulation).
2 days ago
Use props
fansb3a41e40
Beginner
Greece

@hallmark007 Why was it so hard to find? Because I was in scrubland consisting mainly of thorn bushes and low trees all the color of my Spark.
2 days ago
Use props
Didiko
Hobbyist
Flight distance : 3681
Belgium

Good to hear that you did not give up and eventually found it: very happy for you.
Indeed flying on smartphone wifi, only based on video return, at relatively long distance and above unknown terrain was combining many risks at once.
Furthermore as a novice pilot; but everything went fine in the end and has obviously thought you good lessons already.
As initial owner of a Phantom 2 when it was issued, I also had some "thrills" here and there. Finally sold it because of strange disconnections about detection of the SD card and gimbal not perfectly entered but impossible to fix apparently.
Now returned to DJI with a more modest Spark but very funny to use... knowing the limitations.
Sometimes the thrill makes you overestimate the actual capacity of your drone or of the pilot, or both
2 days ago
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
Banned
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2 days ago
Use props
DJI Diana
China

Andy6178 Posted at 2017-8-14 06:47
Glad to hear that u found ur spark, but i m the not lucky one, i lost it already, no one have return to me, i also using phone to connect that time and it lost wifi signal and don't know fly to where already, i think if u want play safely must use remote to flight, atleast better than use only phone

Sorry for your loss, have you contacted the Support to start a case?
1 day ago
Use props
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules

Close

DJI RecommendsPrevious /1 Next