Unexpected midflight switch to ATTI mode
2855 16 2015-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
electricshadow
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1347192 ft
United States

Hi everyone, any advice or recommendations on this issue would be appreciated.  I've flown my Inspire about 20 times in P-GPS mode and recently been having a recurring problem where the craft switches into P-ATTI mode mid-flight, seemingly at random times.  Yesterday I was flying in clear skies with full GPS signal, recent compass calibration and IMU calibration.  I took off and hovered for about a minute, app was reading "Safe to fly (GPS)", five full bars of GPS signal, and craft was blinking green to indicate GPS lock.  Controller hanging off the shoulder strap and my fingers not touching any buttons, just watching it hover.  The blinking green light on the back suddenly turned yellow and the craft started flying away in a 12MPH wind.  I looked down at the app and the green "Safe to fly (GPS)" had switched to red and indicated that control mode had switched to ATTI.  I took control of the craft and after about 15 seconds the green light started blinking again and GPS mode was renabled.  I then flew for about 10 minutes without issue.

I wanted to chalk this up to a weird anomoly, but the same issue happened on my next three flights as well -- craft switched to P-ATTI at random times during flight for about 10-15 seconds, then went back to P-GPS.  I'm trying to decide if this issue may be something serious enough that I need to service the Inspire or if it could be something that I am doing wrong.

Has this happened to anyone else before?  Does anyone have any guesses about what might cause such an issue?
2015-4-7
Use props
pauldean85
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Yeah it's happens to quite a few people - it occurs when there's a sudden drop in GPS signal or the compass experiences interference.

Mine did it yesterday on my second flight of the day and once a couple of months ago too.

It's not that you're doing anything wrong or that the Inspire needs servicing, as far as I understand it this is something that will be addressed in a future firmware update.
2015-4-7
Use props
davidvogtphoto
lvl.2

United States

I've had this happen to me as well on several occasions. Really gotta make sure you're always paying attention. Could go horribly wrong as it drifts off suddenly.
2015-4-7
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

davidvogtphoto@ Posted at 2015-4-8 01:06
I've had this happen to me as well on several occasions. Really gotta make sure you're always paying ...

That is a known Bug in the latest firmware..the beta group is working on it...so we are told  anyway
2015-4-7
Use props
stephenbrink62
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380522 ft
South Africa

Did it to me my first flight and it has happened to a few people. If your not use to flying in At to mode...rather ground your unit until the new firmware is released soon
2015-4-7
Use props
electricshadow
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1347192 ft
United States

Thanks for the replies everyone.  A little disconcerting to know this might be a common issue.
2015-4-7
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

It's temporary and a good chance to hone your skills.   Everyone should be prepared for ATTI at all times so think of it as a fire drill!   
2015-4-7
Use props
charlieboto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 646 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just happened today. Sudden jerky movement then went to atti. You just have to be ready like everyone is saying.
2015-4-7
Use props
bodazefa.hill
lvl.1

yes happened to me and i crashed tried to power up but nothing
2016-4-18
Use props
bodazefa.hill
lvl.1

is there a way to post my flight records so i can get some feedback
2016-4-18
Use props
MJones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74783 ft
United States

I had this happen this past weekend after installing all the latest updates.  I have also been seeing unusually low video signal strength being reported and a few poor signal warnings.  Not sure of the cause but if a firmware issue I hope it gets fixed before we see lost aircraft, property damage, or personal injury.  

Regards,
Mike
2016-4-18
Use props
mmassar64
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176335 ft
United States

+2 on honing skills for flying and not just relying on the GPS mode. Learning to fly in Atti mode even manual mode will make loosing GPS signal no big deal but so many rely on it all the time and does take time to learn to fly first.
2016-4-19
Use props
karma1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 701831 ft

atti mode just hapend near a metal bridge over water it dropped 25 ft before i caught it. my inspire is only 3 weeks old and i have over 2 hrs flying it but this was a surprise.got it back in 1 piece.
2016-9-5
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

karma1 Posted at 2016-9-5 17:07
atti mode just hapend near a metal bridge over water it dropped 25 ft before i caught it. my inspire ...

Make sure you are competent in Atti mode as well, this can happen anytime anywhere.  One thing to do is do a good compass calibration and then leave it alone !  the only time to update compass is if you are over 150 miles a way from the last compass Calibration site. OR after FirmWare update.  Also after A FW update be sure to Re calibrate the IMU and camera Gimbal ( in that order ) and then the Compass of course.

This will help LImit, some of the Unexpected "Atti Modes "

donnie
2016-9-6
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

Solar activity has been high the last few days.  Typically a KP index of 2 has been considered a safe level.  The last few days, it's been as high as 6.  High solar activity has been known to interfere with GPS systems.  Something to think about.
2016-9-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

karma1 Posted at 2016-9-6 06:07
atti mode just hapend near a metal bridge over water it dropped 25 ft before i caught it. my inspire ...

ATTI wouldn't make the aircraft drop altitude, it would only let it drift horizontally.
If the aircraft dropped 25ft then something else happened.
2016-9-6
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Mods, this thread is a year and a half old and originally related to issues that have long since been resolved.
We need to retire old discussions, keeping them for reference but avoiding them being dragged up again and again.
It doesn't add any value to the conversation.
2016-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules