P2V+ dropping when exiting failsafe??
573 4 2015-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

Was on a flight today, flipped into failsafe and was going to let it land on it's own (just for fun).  I realized that it was not going to hit it's mark on pavement and possibly land on a curb.  At about 15' I flipped back into GPS to take control.  The bird dropped about 8' and I quickly gave it throttle to avoid a crash.   I don't know what would have happened had I not "gunned it".  Anyone else experience this coming out of Failsafe??

2015-4-18
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Yes!  

I was also demonstrating the failsafe and noticed the same thing.  Fortunately I was high enough when I did it where I didn't have to throttle up to keep it from crashing.  I have two of the P2V+ and this was in the one that I have updated to the latest firmware (v3.12).  I'm going to try out the other Phantom tomorrow and see if the same thing happens with the older firmware.
2015-4-18
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

I've noted my unit to rise about a meter when switching from ATTI to GPS specially when it was moving fast with the wind during the switch. On another note, during landing when I release the sticks, it would "sometimes" continue to drop a meter, even when its already hovering, presumably due to VRS and specific wind conditions but then it would stabilize.

I've seen it so often so I thought it was normal. Cheers
2015-4-18
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think I've ever used RTH to land the bird. It's probably safer if you use it to just get it back within reasonable distance and then take control.  It acts completely differently when in various modes, so switching when things are tight may not be a good idea.

As an example, if the battery was running low the RTH probably had it in a cruise control mode for very low power use - but when you turned it off it was not in "regular flight" mode, so it became confused for a second or two.

I will only use RTH either when I truly lose it...or when it gets too far away to get back via home lock...even then I will take back control once it's within a couple hundred feet and land it manually.

Maybe I'm old fashioned?

The P3 may have slightly better manners due to the optical and sonar sensors on the bottom - but I'll still land it myself.
2015-4-18
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

I usually land myself..just thought I'd try it on a whim.  Battery was no where near low as I was simply out checking flight distance with a new antennae panel.  Went out til I lost FPV, was bringing it back with me controlling it and then I decided to flip into failsafe and check landing vs. take off point.  I had about 75% battery left with over 9 mins of flying time left.  It was a strange drop! Thankfully, I used the wrench to tighten the props because they way they seemed to stall out (in order to drop so quickly), they could have spun off.  There have been a couple posts lately about multiple props spinning off.  I was also NOT in any vortex state so that wasn't the issue either.     I'll try to recreate it at a higher altitude where I KNOW  I'll have recovery time.  Wondering if my switch is going out and it confused the bird.
2015-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules