Did anybody else catch the "Big Brother is watching" language?
1815 4 2015-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Just reading up on all the documentation before my P3 arrives (hopefully today!) and I caught some stuff that made me raise my eyebrows.  I also thought it was kinda odd that the same notices are NOT in the Quick Start Guide or the User Manual.  Only in the "Safety_Guidelines_Disclaimer_en.pdf" (dated 2015-04-29)

Disclaimer and Warning
You further understand and agree that your data including, but not limited to, flight telemetry data and operation records could be uploaded to and maintained on a DJI-designated server under certain circumstances.

Firmware / Notice:
2) Firmware upgrade notifications will prompt you to proceed with an update immediately or to update the firmware within three days.  If you choose to ignore the current firmware update, you are required to accept the prompted disclaimer.  You further understand and agree that your data including but not limited to flight telemetry data and user selection records may be uploaded to and maintained on a DJI-designated server.

Flight Modes, Functions and Warnings / Notice
If you intend to switch to modes that disable GPS assistance (e.g., A mode), you are required to accept the prompted disclaimer to enable this function.  If this function is enabled, you further understand and agree that data including but not limited to flight telemetry data and function records could be uploaded to and maintained on a DJI-designated server.

No-Fly Zones / Notice
If you intend to fly above the default altitude limit, you are required to accept the prompted disclaimer to enable the new altitude limit.  If a new altitude limit is set, you further understand and agree that data including but not limited to flight telemetry data and altitude limit changes could be uploaded to and maintained on a DJI-designated server under certain circumstances.

Italics are mine.  So...

It's kinda hard to tell if they are simply using this data to verify equipment malfunction during repair, covering their posteriors in the event somebody does something nefarious or... gee, does China have anything like the CIA?

(I couldn't find a emoticon for Curly going Ahhh!  Ahhh! Ahhh!)

2015-5-5
Use props
Muleshoe2
lvl.2

United States

I thought the same thing. You're going to leave your fingerprints where ever you fly and those prints are going to be retrievable from now on.

I wonder what those "certain circumstances" are.
2015-5-5
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Wow!Good to know..Thanx.
2015-5-5
Use props
GeneralToner
lvl.4

United States

This is a part of the DJI Pilot app.  When you sync your flight logs to the DJI cloud, I am assuming that is what the above is referencing.  This allows you to share your flight logs between your various tablets and/or phones that you fly with.

I would hope that DJI is doing some data mining on this in an effort to understand how their product is being used so that they can enhance the user experience.

Maybe I need to be more concerned on this, but I figure if I'm outside my house, good chance I'm on a camera or somehow being recorded.  If I'm in my house, probably not on a camera, however I'm sure my various electronics are sending and retrieving data from various servers.
2015-5-5
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

I was reading a post recently from a well known person in drone circles, and he knew of 10 people who experienced "fly aways" with their Phantom, and were publicly blaming DJI.  When this person got one-on-one with each person for a fire-side chat, 8 of the 10 admitted they mis-managed their battery power, and that caused either a crash, or sent the Phantom into fail-safe mode, and the bird just took off.

So, with all that negative publicity, I guess DJI had enough, and is taking measures to document these problems.  On one hand, I don't blame them - but we've all become rather anti-Big Brother over the years.  But like GeneralToner says, we're all being tracked everywhere we go regardless.  So probably no biggy.
2015-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules