Flying inside an all metal building
2066 9 2015-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
propcut
lvl.1

United States

I have a P2V+ V3. I have been flying it for the past 6 months. I have several hours of flying it in ATTI mode. I have countless hours flying other cheaper non GPS multi rotors around parks and inside buildings. I've been approached by my employer to video a new section of recently installed tall machinery that is approximately 70 feet up. This flying would be done inside an all steel building. As long as my piloting skills are what I think they are and I am flying in ATTI mode will the P2V+ handle like a none GPS quad copter?

2015-5-21
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

Tall machinery? You are aware that you risk damaging equipment in case you crash, right?

I would first see if the compass will work. Without props, turn on the App, RC, RE and Phantom. Move the phantom around the equipment you want to fly and see if you get any error messages from the app or the rear led. Try and calibrate the compass. If it all works, set your RTH altitude way below the ceiling or just cancel it outright. Good luck
2015-5-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Godfrey Posted at 2015-5-21 17:14
Tall machinery? You are aware that you risk damaging equipment in case you crash, right?

I would fi ...

Without any GPS signal, you could not set your home point, so you would be flying in full manual mode with no RTH mode.
2015-5-21
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-5-21 17:22
Without any GPS signal, you could not set your home point, so you would be flying in full manual m ...

Hi Gerry, it won't shoot up in case  the phantom flies around the equipment and loose LOS? Cheers
2015-5-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Godfrey Posted at 2015-5-21 17:25
Hi Gerry, it won't shoot up in case  the phantom flies around the equipment and loose LOS? Cheers

Being inside the building, you would have no signal from the sats anyway.
2015-5-21
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-5-21 17:31
Being inside the building, you would have no signal from the sats anyway.

Ok. I see your point. I guess there is only one way to find out. Without props, turn on the RC, RE and Phantom. With the motors idling, switch the RC off or S1 to FS. If the motors rev up, then the risk is real. If not, then it is imagined. And the OP can try first, hahaha
2015-5-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Godfrey Posted at 2015-5-21 17:38
Ok. I see your point. I guess there is only one way to find out. Without props, turn on the RC, RE  ...

You will have to shield the compass so you won't get any sats.  I have done it inside my house with no sats, had the props off and phantom turned on and running.  Shut the tx off and the phantom never revved up.  Besides, the RTH won't kick in even with sats on unless you lose control signal.  But if you have no sats to fly anyway, you will be in manual mode.  drift, yaw and altitude are all controlled by the sticks.
2015-5-21
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-5-21 17:43
You will have to shield the compass so you won't get any sats.  I have done it inside my house with ...

OK Gerry, I'll try it later in my apartment where i don't get any sats except at the balcony. Cheers
2015-5-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Godfrey Posted at 2015-5-21 17:49
OK Gerry, I'll try it later in my apartment where i don't get any sats except at the balcony. Chee ...

If you wanted a guarantee of not going up for RTH,  set NAZA, and RTH set to just land with no altitude set
2015-5-21
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-5-21 17:43
You will have to shield the compass so you won't get any sats.  I have done it inside my house with ...

Hi Gerry, I concur, with zero sats, the motors will not rev up in fail safe mode. I'm attaching screen shots that shows the battery's discharge was the same at 2 amps during idling and when FS was triggered. Cheers

Lost Signal.jpg
Signal restored.jpg
2015-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules