Help! Cancel autoland for Phantom 4 Pro?
1372 19 2018-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MJ18
lvl.1
United States

I fly over water a lot, and many of my launch points are narrow beaches, so the autoland in a 20 meter radius is VERY BAD! I have found how to cancel it for a Mavic, but not for the Phantom 4 pro. I came way too close to landing in water this week.  How do I cancel autoland so I can bring it in manually?

Thank you!!
MJ
2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there. Just to let you know, we are not advising our Customer to fly their drone close to water to avoid any issue. Also, RTH will only trigger if the battery is on a low level. Please fly in caution and avoid situations which trigger RTH. Thank you.
2018-7-19
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are trying to cancel an actual autoland command or are you trying to cancel the landing part of a RTH?
2018-7-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sounds like you are referring to RTH and would prefer it to hover than to land? got to settings, make sure you are in donre settings where it shows the Return-to-Home Altitude, scroll down to advanced Settings and i beleive its in there.
2018-7-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sounds like some confusion there.
The only time the Phantom will land instead of returning home is when you press the RTH button and the Phantom is closer than 20 metres from the launch point.
I don't know why anyone would ever press RTH when their Phantom is closer than 20 metres but if you know that's what it does, you should be safe.
If you press the Land button, the Phantom will land.
So don't do that either if the Phantom is not in a safe landing spot.

If you run the battery down to critical low voltage level, it's going to land.
So don't run the battery down to critical low voltage level if over water (or anywhere you don't want to land).

If landing activated because of critical low voltage, there's not much you can do to cancel it but you can fly horizontally while autolanding.

If you accidentally pressed the Land button, flicking the flight mode switch out of P-GPS and back again will probably cancel it.  (It cancels all other programmed flight modes).

2018-7-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-7-19 20:40
Sounds like you are referring to RTH and would prefer it to hover than to land? got to settings, make sure you are in donre settings where it shows the Return-to-Home Altitude, scroll down to advanced Settings and i beleive its in there.

You're asking about hover rather than land.
Those are 2 of the 3 options you can choose for the Loss of Signal action.
They don't apply to RTH.
2018-7-19
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1482434 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I can’t believe I’m going to say this but if you check out the Phantom 4 Pro, User Manual v1.4, 2017.30, Page 15, it gives the various RTH scenarios. I would also add that when I first used the RTH, without reading the manual (sigh) and hit the ‘cancel’ button I missed the ‘are you absolutely sure about that’ splash screen so I magnificently crashed into a large pine tree. I think I’ve posted it before but just in case
And I still use YouTube before I read the manual. Just a slow learner I guess.
By the way, trust Labroides, he’s spot on.
2018-7-19
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Labroides Posted at 2018-7-19 21:41
Sounds like some confusion there.
The only time the Phantom will land instead of returning home is when you press the RTH button and the Phantom is closer than 20 metres from the launch point.
I don't know why anyone would ever press RTH when their Phantom is closer than 20 metres but if you know that's what it does, you should be safe.

"critical low voltage, there's not much you can do to cancel it but you can fly horizontally"
It also still can be lifted and/or hold in altitude, everything is just getting difficult as you need to keep the left stick above center while controlling the aircraft into place.
Not sure when it refuse in total to play along but from the 10 to 7% it still is doable.

Agreed that this issue don't make much sense without knowing what autoland OP is having issues with, RTH should be the last resort of a i am lost, i give up, help situation, nothing else.
2018-7-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-20 03:02
"critical low voltage, there's not much you can do to cancel it but you can fly horizontally"
It also still can be lifted and/or hold in altitude, everything is just getting difficult as you need to keep the left stick above center while controlling the aircraft into place.
Not sure when it refuse in total to play along but from the 10 to 7% it still is doable.

RTH should be the last resort of a i am lost, i give up, help situation, nothing else.
Not necessarily.
RTH is a great feature and not just a last resort.
Your Phantom is out there and it's time to bring it back.
You hit RTH and it turns the Phantom to start for home.
You cancel RTH and take over the driving to get the bird home at a proper speed instead of the RTH crawl.
RTH just makes it easy to quickly make sure the Phantom is pointing the right way for the flight back.
2018-7-20
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

Here’s my opinion, take it or leave it. I’m not criticizing anyone or trying to contradict anyone’s thoughts or experience. I’ve had a Phantom 1 for 5 years. I’ve used RTH a dozen times when I looked away from it then couldn’t find it when I looked back at it. There’s no remote viewer so it’s lost at that point. Every time, the hardwired RTH brought it back and landed it. No frills, no problem.  I’ve had the Phantom 4P+ for 8 months and I haven’t successfully used the RTH at all. I’ve had a Mavic PP, for a couple months, no RTH there either. Why? Because it’s not something I regularly use and I fear it misbehaving. I read the manual, I listened to each of the descriptions many users have written in this forum, then I set it up in the settings how I’d consider using it. The first time I pressed the button on the P4, I had forgotten it would land within 20 meters. It almost crashed into my house. Then an update came, so I allowed it to install. When I went back to check and see if any settings had changed, I learned that the update had restored the RTH settings to default. So, at my advanced age, if I overlook the fact that DJI might default some settings in an update and forget to verify them... It’s not going to behave the way I expect it to. I keep the aircraft within visual distances, and maintain control of it. To me, RTH is just another option I don’t use due to the number of variables involved.
2018-7-21
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

OP seems to be MIA. Maybe he/she/it found the manual.
2018-7-21
Use props
MJ18
lvl.1
United States

I apologize for the lack of detail in my original post.  This occurred at the end of a 3D mission. I have it set to RTH at the end of missions.  In this particular situation, I underestimated 20 meters, so the end point was apparently within the 20m radius , which led to autoland.  Battery level was fine (28%). Cancel did not cancel autoland. I understand that I can change the settings, but was looking for a solution to cancel autoland for future reference should the situation arise again.  

I believe Labroides has answered the question with switching from P -GPS and back.  Thank you very much for your help!

As for the delayed response, I have been out in the field working.  Grumpy, you are very appropriately named.
2018-7-21
Use props
Bair in the Air
lvl.2
United States

I had a funny thing happen. But of coarse it was my fault. I took my bird straight up to the max height. I got 1627 feet. Then stopped. Then I did a 360, then I got the low battery alarm. Now I know I went up with 70% battery. And at the height I was I thought no problem. So I started coming down. But it seemed it was coming down slow. Now there was some hard wind in places as I descended. But in coming down, it says 5:00 minutes and I start to worry. So I got it to 200 feet. With 1:30 minutes left. So I relaxed and rubbed my nose, taking my hand off the RC. What happened, the P4P+ landed on its own. I was in RTH, and didn’t know it. A successful landing, but I had a heart flutter (Ha-Ha)
PEACE

2018-7-21
Use props
MJ18
lvl.1
United States

MJ18 Posted at 2018-7-21 10:51
I apologize for the lack of detail in my original post.  This occurred at the end of a 3D mission. I have it set to RTH at the end of missions.  In this particular situation, I underestimated 20 meters, so the end point was apparently within the 20m radius , which led to autoland.  Battery level was fine (28%). Cancel did not cancel autoland. I understand that I can change the settings, but was looking for a solution to cancel autoland for future reference should the situation arise again.  

I believe Labroides has answered the question with switching from P -GPS and back.  Thank you very much for your help!

Very important missing information- I apologize! Too much time in the field off-grid.  I was using Pix4DCapture.  The solution from Labroides  should still work, and I would like to award bonus points for awesome troubleshooting given insufficient details.  Thank you again.
2018-7-21
Use props
Edward J Smith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1852408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well I guess I subscribe to a different philosophy. Auto landing, take off {precision), RTH are just another feature like the intelligent fight modes. If you use due diligence. Before my first take off I'll use 10-20% of the first battery to go through my settings in EVERY menu. I guess that just made a ton of sense too me. The preflight check list is just if not more important than the flight planning itself.  Again that is just my philosophy of the technology afforded us with these drones. Either way have fun and fly SAFE!

2018-7-23
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

I often wonder what would happen if your Home Point is 90' in the air? One time, I took off right after GPS acquired, but as it reached 90', I heard the home point recorded announcement. Hmmm.
2018-7-23
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-7-23 09:23
I often wonder what would happen if your Home Point is 90' in the air? One time, I took off right after GPS acquired, but as it reached 90', I heard the home point recorded announcement. Hmmm.

probably the aircraft is only memorizing the GPS cohordinates, not the altitude which with GPS is quite unreliable... and for the landing  descent it would use the vision systems . So, IMHO, not a big problem.
2018-7-23
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2018-7-23 09:43
probably the aircraft is only memorizing the GPS cohordinates, not the altitude which with GPS is quite unreliable... and for the landing  descent it would use the vision systems . So, IMHO, not a big problem.

Sounds logical. I suspect that it uses ascent rate to also determine when it's touched down, otherwise hand catching would not allow motor shutdown, some 7' above ground.
2018-7-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-7-23 09:23
I often wonder what would happen if your Home Point is 90' in the air? One time, I took off right after GPS acquired, but as it reached 90', I heard the home point recorded announcement. Hmmm.

I often wonder what would happen if your Home Point is 90' in the air?
Nothing strange.
The homepoint is only latitude and longitude.  It has no Z-axis component (altitude).
If you allow the Phantom to RTH and autoland, the Phantom returns to above its homepoint and descends until it can descend no more.

One time, I took off right after GPS acquired, but as it reached 90', I heard the home point recorded announcement. Hmmm.

There may have been a delay in playing the message but the homepoint would have been recorded as soon as the Phantom got it's first GPS location fix.
It would be easy to check the recorded flight data to confirm that.

2018-7-23
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Thanks for clearing up any doubt. I suspected it looked at vertical speed to stop.
2018-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules