Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mstolk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 421342 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Have been big DJI fan and still are..
Yesterday had an terrible experiance with my Inspire 1, with a  flyaway and crash.

I had experianced since my last firmware upgrade som eissues with my gimball it was very unstable and therefore have been trying different ways to get it
back including tips like calabirating the gimball while hoovering.
anyway i think this issue didn't lead into the flyaway.

I decided to do one more option by just calbrating the comopas again from my normal fly spot a roof terras in Amsterdam where I live.
I have has several flight in the past months from this location. I calbirated the compas and put the DJI back on the terras to do a flight. I used the auto fly for starting my flight then when it was hoovering at 1.2 meter I moved it up an other 4-5 meters. Then it started to make small strange moves I wanted to get it down by moving landing gear down and trying to control it. But its showed it was disconnected and started to move up a d going north in acelarating speed. then it moved very fast south and from my roof terras I saw it going in full speed crashing down around 200-300 meters from where I took off. At a speed that I not even flew my selve.. The first thing I was thinking that i hoped that nobody was around the crash spot as its in a city and with the speed the Ispire came down you would really heart some people.

Strange enough is that on my ipad I saw it still had recorded the flight so I could see where it had landed.
I went to the spot and and was luckly that the first house i called on (the landing zone is in dense area with several apartments with city gardens)
the DJI actualy crashed into there garden and we found the Inspire in pieces (see picture). We where realy luck as this family had small childeren that where insde
at the crash. You don't want to think about what could have happend if they where playing in this small city garden (30sqm) at time of crash.

I have put a movie on Youtube with screens shots of the flight it also shows stranges values on like hight being -1500 and total distance of 1124 meter where as crash was at 250m

Strange enough I had experiance a similar flyaway with my DJI Phanton V2+ a year before but there it landed straight down after 250M

Any suggestions or advice welcome?

Marcel

2015-5-25
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

were you on "auto" channel for video? was your compass value more than 1500 after the calibration? IMU values? were they around 1.00? were you always caliberating compass  at the same spot?
2015-5-25
Use props
mstolk
lvl.1
  • >>>
Netherlands

arunmehta Posted at 2015-5-25 18:40
were you on "auto" channel for video? was your compass value more than 1500 after the calibration? I ...

had not seen these values after calibration,  yes have been calibrating more often on this spot as this is where I have been taken of most of my flights
2015-5-25
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 824672 ft
United States

Not a fan of calibrating. To many times a bad calibration causes more problems. I haven't calibrated in my last 7 flights, in 3 different locations, all within 3 miles of each other and I have not had any problems. I'm not going to calibrate until it tells me too or I've traveled a good distance and I'm also away from any interference.

I hope DJI stands behind  you on this
2015-5-25
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Italy

Wtf!!! Flying in a highly populated area....are you part of the "we want to ban drones " Mafia.

Highly populated area = a shit load of interference.

Imagine if your inspire came down on someone?..
2015-5-25
Use props
mstolk
lvl.1
  • >>>
Netherlands

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-5-25 20:07
Wtf!!! Flying in a highly populated area....are you part of the "we want to ban drones " Mafia.

Hig ...

have done many flights in these area all save..
seen many city drone flights... would not classify this the way you do
yes if you fly above a soccer stadium or a crowded park
but this
was not the case..
2015-5-25
Use props
f1
lvl.2

United States

It looks like your altitude is a big negative number.   This same anomaly was noticed in another flyaway video I saw posted.  I wonder if this could be a first sign that a problem is occuring.

Did you try Atti mode?
2015-5-25
Use props
mstolk
lvl.1
  • >>>
Netherlands

f1@frankschaffe Posted at 2015-5-25 20:51
It looks like your altitude is a big negative number.   This same anomaly was noticed in another fly ...

was disconnected was in gps mode when took off
then I couldn't control it anymore it took over
pressed "home"
button but no effect. And it want all very fast with seconds
it started to move and acelerated speed..
the path you see on the movie/replay was more straight and faster as was
was captured, also awkward that it seems there was connection given that
I had op my ipad this fight data and could track my inspire crash location.
2015-5-25
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Low battery voltage flagged!
2015-5-25
Use props
f1
lvl.2

United States

mstolk Posted at 2015-5-25 21:15
was disconnected was in gps mode when took off
then I couldn't control it anymore it took over
pre ...

It make sense that the "Home" button wouldn't work if the aircraft is chasing a bad GPS signal.  

The battery warning is odd too, because the range tape across the tip of the screen stays green.

Could you shoot another video with the stick inputs displayed?
2015-5-25
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

What is the production date for the aircraft.  If the heights were not accurate it sounds like it could be the barometer that was defective, so I don't believe that calibrating would have had any affect.  You need to take it back to your dealer and get him to send data logs to DJI as a matter of urgency.

Could have been a very serious accident here with children, so DJI should look at this quickly as a matter of health and safety.  If this was a commercial operation within a city centre, and a crash occurred, it would be a reportable incident to the CAA in the UK.

It would appear there are still a few reports of Fly Aways on the forum that could be indicating something not quite right and DJI should be informing all Inspire Owners if there is indeed something wrong and not staying silent on matters.  If there is something wrong and DJI did not inform all owners, and some serious accident occurred, DJI could be held accountable for contributory negligence, especially if they knew something and stayed silent.

2015-5-25
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

GB44   See A Swing And A Miss in this forum...DJI is and has been aware of this for a while....No recalls have been issued.
2015-5-25
Use props
mattd
lvl.3

Australia

Why is it that no one posts the video from the SD card?? can we please see the sd card footage?

but this is very scarey
2015-5-25
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss and please keep us posted as to what you find out

Rich
2015-5-25
Use props
mstolk
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

mattd@internode Posted at 2015-5-26 07:00
Why is it that no one posts the video from the SD card?? can we please see the sd card footage?

but ...

was not recording, all went to fast after take off disconnection started with in seconds
2015-5-27
Use props
info.pro-safety
lvl.1

United Kingdom

That is certainly what I would call a near miss and not to mention very lucky that only the I1 was hurt. Just to back up what another member stated, in the UK this would be a reportable incident to the Civil Aviation Authority, DJI really need to take note here as I'm sure that the CAA could ground all I1's that are being used by commercial pilots or the public if they see the need to. I attended a course recently to complete the first stage towards a commercial licence, around half of the 16 candidates on the course either had or intended to purchase an Inspire, I myself already own one but would add that I have not flown is since march, just in case you are trying to work that out, that's 3 software updates ago. Like many I have been flying for a long time, I'm confident in flying in all modes but that's not the point, if this machine takes it upon itself to fly off out of control and subsequently drops like a stone from the sky killing some poor sod then how do I live with that. I say no thank you, so 1 inspire with dual remote, five batteries and very little use going to the first reasonable offer.

And as for you DJI, very disappointed to say the least, you cannot expect the public to carry out your R&D and roll out endless updates to solve these problems as and when they're discovered for you.
Someone is going to lose their life and I can only imagine what that will do for your reputation and your all important sales.

Stay safe everyone and when flying keep in mind the safety of all around you.
2015-5-27
Use props
mattd
lvl.3

Australia

mstolk Posted at 2015-5-27 17:01
was not recording, all went to fast after take off disconnection started with in seconds

you should always be recording from before you even start the motors.

2015-5-27
Use props
heritage
New

United Kingdom

info.pro-safety Posted at 2015-5-28 04:24
That is certainly what I would call a near miss and not to mention very lucky that only the I1 was h ...

I'm a bit concerned here - we bought a P2+ for heritage survey work, and I have grounded it due to instability issues.  I live in the country surrounded with fields, and yesterday updated the software and ran test flights - on the third flight it took off on me and vanished.  It landed in the middle of a railway line, and eventually took off on its own and landed back at base - mind of its own.  I had no control over the plane at all - all communications dropped.  I don't need CAA legislation to tell me that this represents a serious H&S issue with the use of these things.  We had been considering getting an Inspire 1, thinking it represented the results of thousands of sales of P2+, and thus improvements, learning, debugging and so on.  It seems that DJI need to go back to basics with their defaults - if comms drop for eg, it should land immediately or return to base - hard for that to happen if satellites drop.  I've flown in Australia but haven't kept up pilots license - this experience with drones so far is not at all 'inspiring' - although if I can get hold of one at a sensible price, I'll give it some extensive testing here in the Shropshire countryside.  Incidentally - am I right in saying that control is ONLY effective in line of sight?  If I drop the P2+ behind a building for eg., I lose control - this is another serious defect - and makes them unusable for anything but amateur recreational use.

Thanks!
2015-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules