Missing video frames when spanning video files
5396 17 2015-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nebelung
lvl.3
Flight distance : 613615 ft
United States

Since upgrading to the new firmware (1.2.1.06), my video recording seems to skip a few frames whenever the recording spans two files.

When the video files size exceeds about 4.2GB (Mac), it starts a new file. In the past the transition between the 2 files was seamless. There were no missing frames. That's the way it should be.

Since the new firmware, I am missing about 5-10 frames of video when this transission happens. I have changed nothing in my record settings. I am using the same cards and this has happened on 2 different cards (one of them came with the Inspire1). I am recording 3840x2160 at 30fps.

I know this is not really dangerous, but it's really a problem if you loose a great shot because of that. Especially as it didn't use to be the case.

Anybody else have the same problem? Any ideas?

2015-5-28
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

How are you stitching the files together?  You should not be having to manually edit them (and that may be the problem).  If you import a spanned file into software that knows what to do with it, you should only have to import the FIRST file in the spanned set.  Adobe Premiere, as one example, will then show that first file name has having been imported but when you load it, it will play the entire set.

With manual stitching of spanned segments, dropped frames are a definite possibility due to the nature of H.264 encoding.
2015-5-29
Use props
nebelung
lvl.3
United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-29 20:22
How are you stitching the files together?  You should not be having to manually edit them (and that  ...

Hey Pete, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately that's not it.

I am not stitching the files together manually. In fact I am using Premiere CC14. It was never a problem before the new firmware update and I have not changed anything. And if I look at the source files (in QT) and compare the last frame of the first file to the first frame of the second file, those 5-10 frames are totally missing.
2015-5-29
Use props
nebelung
lvl.3
United States

Ok, this is getting stranger and stranger. I spent a good bit of time trying to troubleshoot this today, and I discovered that my footage ALWAYS had frames missing when the camera starts the second file! This did NOT just start with the new firmware.

I looked at all of my footage, which has been shot on 2 different Inspire1s (my first one had to be replaced), and whenever the recording was spanning more than 1 file, frames are missing. I'd say about .5 seconds worth. I can't believe I never noticed this before. This is pretty nuts.

Could someone else please take a look at their source footage to see if they also have this problem, or if it's just me (which seems unlikely as it happened with 2 different Inspires). Thanks.

I tried shooting in 1080/60 and I tried using cards formatted FAT32 and ExFAT. Same problem. Apparently even if your card is formatted to ExFAT, the camera creates a new file after 4GB.
2015-5-29
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

nebelung Posted at 2015-5-30 08:31
Ok, this is getting stranger and stranger. I spent a good bit of time trying to troubleshoot this to ...

When I import my footage into Premiere, spanned clips play as a single clip with no dropped frames.

One important question: are you importing into Premiere via the Media Browser, or are you just choosing Import from the menu?   The latter approach loses a lot of the functionality of Premiere.  ONLY when you import via the Media Browser (i.e. use the Media Browser window to browse for and locate the clip and drag it into the Project window) does Premiere do a full assessment of metadata, which includes the reference info that identifies spanned clips.

I hope I'm not talking down to you - I don't know your level of Premiere expertise.
2015-5-29
Use props
nebelung
lvl.3
United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-30 14:09
When I import my footage into Premiere, spanned clips play as a single clip with no dropped frames ...

No worries about talking down. I totally appreciate that you are taking the time to help me figure this out.

In my case, spanned clips show up as individual files no matter whether I use Media Browser or the regular import, and no matter whether I read directly from the record media or whether I copy it to a hard drive first.

I am familiar with exactly what you are describing from XDCam clips for instance. But that's just not how Premiere sees my Inspire clips.

Do you mind me asking what option is available to you in the Directory Viewer (the little eye dropdown) when you look at your source footage in Media Browser? In my case it's only File Directory (or Cinema DNG, if I also have a still image in there).

Thanks again.
2015-5-30
Use props
billdthomas.hot
lvl.1

United States

I have this same issue.  Has there been any resolution?
2015-8-2
Use props
Klon
lvl.1

United States

I've noticed the same issue in FCPX as well.  Looks like 5-10 frames were dropped between the clips, and FCPX doesn't seem to automatically recognize the two clips are connected either.
2015-8-4
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

nebelung Posted at 2015-5-30 08:31
Ok, this is getting stranger and stranger. I spent a good bit of time trying to troubleshoot this to ...

I've seen this with most (perhaps all) of my span files.  I'm considering using a timer of some sort set to 8 minutes so I can proactively avoid the issue.
2015-8-4
Use props
nebelung
lvl.3
United States

billdthomas.hot Posted at 2015-8-3 04:20
I have this same issue.  Has there been any resolution?

Not that I know. I still have the same issue, though I have not update to v1.3 yet (doubt that it would make a difference though).
2015-8-5
Use props
macwise7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30869 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm having the same issue, latest firmware on the camera, copter, and remote (Inspire Pro/X5).  I count about 10 frames missing for every split.  This doesn't happen with GoPro cameras, and from what I can tell it hasn't always plagued DJI cameras, though on that last point I can't be positive.  This is a huge problem that needs to be resolved asap.
2016-2-17
Use props
macwise7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30869 ft
  • >>>
United States

Video poster says DJI will fix in the next firmware.  Not sure where that information is coming from, but the video was posted on Oct. 30, 2015.
2016-2-17
Use props
kirk.grames
lvl.1

United States

Still an issue with the phantom 4 as well.  Whats interesting is that I have the gopro hero 4 black and never had this issue.  The file separation is seamless....  Please fix this DJI!
2016-3-26
Use props
J30j1xlsvP5G
New

Hong Kong

2017 feb 9, still not fix the problem for all dji camera
2017-2-8
Use props
omn
New

Portugal

What's the DJI recommended software to join the videos? Or what specifically do you use?

Best regards
2017-6-10
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
United States

It has not been responded by DJI. They have never said a word about whether it is a fact. Although they have fixed this issue on all new line of cameras in the I2, P4P, Mavic.
2017-6-10
Use props
omn
New

Portugal

DTK Posted at 2017-6-10 14:43
It has not been responded by DJI. They have never said a word about whether it is a fact. Although they have fixed this issue on all new line of cameras in the I2, P4P, Mavic.

Thank you for your feedback. I've a P4P, with a new micro SD card, 128gb, exFAT. It still cuts it in 4gb files... Can I configure it other way?

Thanks for your time!
2017-6-10
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
United States

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W-d9sEQm2jw&itct=CA4QpDAYASITCNy8paPKtNQCFU2yfgodIgsGOTIGcmVsbWZ1SLakr5uasuOOHQ%3D%3D&gl=AU&client=mv-google&hl=en

This guy on his youtube reckons that it has been fixed
2017-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules