7205 64 2015-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It seems that along with the new firmware a problem related to VPS has emerged. Symptom are as follows.

1: Low to the ground when VPS SHOULD be active: Phantom 3 does not maintain altitude and ascends and descends randomly and sometimes fast.

2: At an altitude above when VPS is active you might start getting errors related to VPS telling you to land immediately and the vPS icon will show activity.

3: Hard to know if its VPS relted but people are getting random altitude reading are all over the place.

For those who are having these issues I suggest you turn off VPS in the Pilot App. This issue has been reported to DJI.

DJI are asking users to email in Phantom 3 logs of the VPS issue to autumn.a@dji.com so the issue can be better understood. http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=21668&pid=152097&fromuid=368

Disable VPS: MC>Advanced Settings>
vps.jpg

You can now buy the official DJI Hardshell Backpack for the Phantom 3
Remember to buy extra propellers and one or two spare batteries to keep you flying
www.Phantom-Guide.co.uk - The Ultimate Phantom 3 Resource

2015-6-16
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

So...Are you telling us to hold off on the update to the firmware??
2015-6-16
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

clkilljoy1@nets Posted at 2015-6-17 00:52
So...Are you telling us to hold off on the update to the firmware??

Nope, that's not my call - I am not having the issue.
Supoose if you are not having issues with 1.1.9 then wait a little.
2015-6-16
Use props
kenmasters
lvl.1

Canada

Can you post a video showing this?    If its true, then DJI should pull back the firmware.  Its a serious safety issue.
2015-6-16
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kenmasters Posted at 2015-6-17 01:26
Can you post a video showing this?    If its true, then DJI should pull back the firmware.  Its a se ...

Its just going by reports I have seen form users and one suggestion from DJI support user was to disable VPS..

Disabling it is not a big deal if you get this problem
2015-6-16
Use props
kenmasters
lvl.1

Canada

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-17 01:42
Its just going by reports I have seen form users and one suggestion from DJI support user was to d ...

That's not the issue though.  VPS is a primary component of the solution.  If it's not working, then the decision should be to pull it back.  

Someone who doesn't know that there is an issue or doesn't know how to shut it off would be at risk.   DJI is liable if they know of the issue and did not respond timely.
2015-6-16
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325659 ft
United States

I would say hold off on the new firmware stick with 1.1.9 at least on Android.  Any android device I use now overheats badly within a few mins of flight.  They did not do this before.  Something in the new firmware is causing the android devices to overheat and lock up or fail, and to have massive video lag caused by the GPU/GPU slowdown due to heat.

1.2.6 firmware has reduced my P3 to a brick right now, it can fly but the android apps overheat any device.  I've tried with a Samsung Galaxy S5 and a Google Nexus II both overheat badly.  Neither overheated at all with 1.1.9.
2015-6-16
Use props
kenmasters
lvl.1

Canada

I also have to mention that the problem has to be repeatable.  Generally an issue this large would be reported by many people.  If its isolated to a few individuals, then it may not be a problem with the firmware.  
2015-6-16
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kenmasters Posted at 2015-6-17 02:02
I also have to mention that the problem has to be repeatable.  Generally an issue this large would b ...

I agree its an important feature and not everyone will be aware of a *possible issue. This is why I created the thread, to inform them. But there is no need to panic.

The issue is not being reported by all.. Same with the LAG, same with most problems reported. Its a tiny minority that it affects.. Also the issues are not always repeatable.

Yeah its important and yeah it needs sorting but no need to recall the firmware. Update or don't update.. if you are happy on 1.1.9 or even 1.1.8, stay there for a bit until more like myself report about the new firmware's.

Oh, and in before someone says "we are beta testers for DJI".. As technically, everyne who installs ANY firmware is a tester
Remember, this issue could be aliens having a laugh with an EMP gun and nothing to do with the firmware

2015-6-16
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here are the example videos that was asked for..
'After doing some test flights after full resets in VPS the craft does not seem to be able to work out its altitude, in the app when i take off i get VPS error and it tells me to land, the VPS symbol will keep appearing and going again at low level, i can say 100% that VPS is no longer working as before the update it was perfect at low level, now it will harldy hover when VPS is on,it keeps slamming its self into the ground, the craft is also behaving very oddly at, its gaining and loosing altitude by its self when hovering, also on the last few flight the app has either shown no altitude at all or it shows correct until i descend then the altitude drops into minus figures by the time i have landed on the same spot i took off from. '

Also a couple of images of the error..

vps1.jpg
vps2.jpg

2015-6-16
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

I'm getting the problem with the new firmware, and last night had a signal loss and a return to home less than 400 ft away and in a clear area.

The camera is better and my iPad 2 Mini is not over heating so there is a plus side.
2015-6-16
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sdharris Posted at 2015-6-17 04:05
I'm getting the problem with the new firmware, and last night had a signal loss and a return to home ...

For now I would disable VPS.. Best be safe than sorry.. The P3 hovers very well even without VPS..
2015-6-16
Use props
pianist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37956 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Somehow I'm relieved! This is exactly the behavior I'm getting and hopefully it will get fixed in another update soon. After take off and letting it hover for a minute or so, P3 slowly starts to increase altitude. The readout is static - like air pressure is slowly increasing and the unit thinks it's too low and then compensates by increasing altitude. This is happening almost every time after take off. I always do a fresh compass calibration. Furthermore my VPS telemetry readouts indoors are somewhat inconsistent and restricted to only between 0.2M and 1.0 M - or not giving me any readout at all - usually it goes to 1.0 M but but returns "N.A." above 1.0 M. What are your readouts in the VPS telemetry? Shouldn't it update the altitude between 0 and 3 M? I should also mention that on one of my flights I got the "ultrasonic systems error" - even with VPS turned off.
2015-6-16
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

While we're on the subject of VPS, I've heard conflicting stories on the type of floors that work well, and which types the VPS has a tough time locking in on.  Obviously, a single-colored garage floor with the typical gray paint would be tough to lock in on.  But how about hardwood floors with the lines between boards.  Or tile floors - I heard even for tile with repeating patterns that it's tough for the VPS to lock on.  But all tile floors have repeating patterns.  lol

Thoughts?

Thanks!
2015-6-16
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-17 04:43
For now I would disable VPS.. Best be safe than sorry.. The P3 hovers very well even without VPS..

Over on the rc groups where it was reported someone reported the sensor still affecting flight even when turned off. Lets hope that is not the case.
2015-6-16
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
United Kingdom

pianist Posted at 2015-6-17 05:03
Somehow I'm relieved! This is exactly the behavior I'm getting and hopefully it will get fixed in an ...

You final comment might support the comment on the rc groups that VPS is still functioning even when turned off. Although I sincerely help that is not the case.

Flick through http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/s ... 84430&page=1273
2015-6-16
Use props
salota8550 This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-16
Use props
apocnz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106588 ft
  • >>>
Australia

VPS does function when disabled, it just isn't used by the F/C at all...

The reason I know it's still on, is, when you have captions turned on for your video, it still records the Sonar Height (sB) value into the caption.

2015-6-16
Use props
leon
lvl.1

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-17 02:23
I agree its an important feature and not everyone will be aware of a *possible issue. This is why I ...

Sorry Dude!  It's the other way around, almost everyone that I have talked to in both the Facebook pages and this forum, all have problems with Android devices, whether its AOS Kit-Kat 4.4.2 or Lollipop 5.0.2!
Not just a few! More like 99%!
2015-6-16
Use props
mvkilmer
lvl.2

United States

Just updated P3P and now VPS is definitely malfunctioning.  It won't hold an altitude and drifts severely.  I had no problems at all with 1.1.9.  I'm sorry I updated.  This seems to be affecting a lot of users. I'm surprised DJI didn't catch it before pushing out the update. Let's hope it can be fixed with a future update (soon).
2015-6-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've had mine off since the first week - got that ultrasonic error even back then!

There is very little reason that most flyers need it - and, the way it works right now, it is not an important part of the system. It may be at some time in the future with software upgrades - but not now.

It's happened to enough users to be called repeatable.

I guess one big question is - why does anyone upgrade firmware immediately? I never do this unless I have having a major problem that the FW claims to fix. I am running 10.9 on this macbook even though Yosemite is free. It is usually much better to be behind the curve. When it comes to DJI firmware, I'd say a month or more behind is fine.
2015-6-16
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Add my Bird to the list of ones that now have problems after updating. I am having some crazy elevation readings and automatic descending and ascending. Started a death spiral on 3 differentr occasions also. No errors from the pilot app. Recalibrated EVERYTHING. Man, I hate when you update and a formerly awesome product and then it turns crappy. I am grounded boys and girls. I will not lose this baby due to a stupid firmware update. Now I have 3 batteries and am terrified to fly. Isn't THAT ironc.
2015-6-16
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

pianist Posted at 2015-6-17 05:03
Somehow I'm relieved! This is exactly the behavior I'm getting and hopefully it will get fixed in an ...

Mine is behaving EXACTLY the same. You are not alone.

2015-6-16
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-17 02:23
I agree its an important feature and not everyone will be aware of a *possible issue. This is why I ...

STAY THERE GUYS!!!!!! Firmware jacked mine up!!!
2015-6-16
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-17 04:43

Splooge, mine is still acting up with VPS off. Is yours?
2015-6-16
Use props
Philliplloyd20
lvl.3
Flight distance : 690607 ft
United Kingdom

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-6-17 11:25
Splooge, mine is still acting up with VPS off. Is yours?

I've decided to sell up. I updated yesterday morning to 1.2.6 p3p. Took it to a local field to test update, oh my goodness it's a different craft altogether and not in a good way at all. Ive had 15 flights in total so I obviously a beginner, it randomly changed altitude all on its own it would not hold position even with 19 satellites clear sky and 5mph wind and in the middle of Wales. This is with VPS turned on and off. Where as the phantom 3 gave me confidence up until yesterday it's now to me rather scary to fly. I managed 5mins of flight before I packed up and went home. Please dji sort out the latest issue asap. To think I've spent over £1600 on the phantom 3 extra batteries case back back nd filters etc, im not happy
2015-6-16
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jimcloud74 - Mine seems OK with and without VPS on ( no mad altitude changes and no errors ). Although if I had to nitpick, its slightly not as stable when in VPS range since the update.

Stick with it guys.. I know its a pain in the ass but the P3 is a great platform, the best i the price range IMO. For the price there is very little that comes close ( apart from maybe a Phantom 2 ). Just look that the SOLO thread over @ RCGroups, not exactly fantastic and bug free is it..

it will be made good, just takes a little time.. Owners of previous models will know this..
2015-6-16
Use props
RuN3
lvl.1

Norway

i had the same problem in the 1.19 firmware aswell. did not change in 1.27 on my p3a
2015-6-16
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here is another example of the before and after firmware

2015-6-16
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

All I can say is Im glad that the weather is crap for the next week. It will force force me to stay grounded. Hopefully the firmware will clear up by time the weather does, but knowing DJI it will take 2-4 weeks to upload a fix for this atrocious firmware "update". Shame DJI, shame.
2015-6-16
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-17 14:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHN3GtIOdA ...

Question... how did u get that data on your screen?

Thxs chris
2015-6-17
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

chrisclaydon@bi Posted at 2015-6-17 17:07
Question... how did u get that data on your screen?

Thxs chris

This is a good way - http://www.dashware.net/
2015-6-17
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For those having VPS issues, can you all upload the corresponding flight log from the Phantom/TX to Google Drive, Dropbox or similar.. I'm sure DJI-Autumn could do with reviewing them so they can understand the issue better.. Thanks..
2015-6-17
Use props
Raul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 348724 ft
Spain

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-17 14:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHN3GtIOdA ...

I think that I'll not fly until the next firmware update or more...
2015-6-17
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

I'm sure DJI has access to everyone's flight logs without us putting up links for them in the forum
2015-6-17
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mark97564 Posted at 2015-6-17 18:09
I'm sure DJI has access to everyone's flight logs without us putting up links for them in the forum

Unless you have sent it to them another way, how would they know who is and not having the issues?

If you don't want people to try and help you then fine.. Sit and mope/complain about your Phantom not performing well.. But others might want to move the issue forwards and contribute to helping DJI identify the issue.
2015-6-17
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

DJI looking for info on this one... send in your stats to...  

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid152097
2015-6-17
Use props
kalin2011
lvl.2

Canada

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-17 18:50
Unless you have sent it to them another way, how would they know who is and not having the issues?

Are you employed by DJI?  Do you not see the problem with releasing an update before fleshing out ALL the bugs.  The problems are greater than intended fixes.  Yes it is a great platform with tremendous possibilities, however, this does not excuse the fumbling way DJI have handled their release of this product.  When you pay this much money for a tecnology that is still evolving, its no wonder they have recieved so much criticisim.  From the lack of batteries, to the non-responsive customer service and then this.  I love this machine...but am loosing confidence in flying it the way I should be able to.  DJI must do much better or the new drones being developed that recieve thorough testing prior to release will decimate their market share.   
2015-6-17
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kalin2011 Posted at 2015-6-17 23:39
Are you employed by DJI?  Do you not see the problem with releasing an update before fleshing out  ...

No I don't work for DJI ..

As much as I agree it frustrating to have a new firmware with issues but I personally would rather this that wait months and months for one that would most likely not be perfect either ( not software is bug free )..
I sympathise with those with issues but some people just take complaining and critizising to a different level and start claining things are unsafe and should be recalled. Its how bad information spreads..
2015-6-17
Use props
kalin2011
lvl.2

Canada

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-17 23:55
No I don't work for DJI  ..

As much as I agree it frustrating to have a new firmware with issues ...

I agree that some are crying wolf, but there are clear patterns to the constructive complaints being voiced.  Unsafe may mean to many that their investment is in jeopardy.  If my P3 crashed through no fault of my own, I'd be pissed.  I don't envy DJI for seperating the human error incidents from the software- hardware problems, but they are easy targets for the trashing they get.  When you mix a demanding, mostly western, mostly inexperienced buyer with a sofisticated piece of tecnology that was perhaps not quite ready for release, you get the fecal show we are seeing here.  Keep it close to the ground boys and girls!  

2015-6-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules