Lag with Nexus 9
3925 23 2015-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rell84
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46483 ft
United States

I'm getting much too much lag for comfort with my new P3P. I'm using a brand new Nexus 9 that I purchased specifically for use with the Phantom. I'm using the latest firmware on my Phantom and my tablet is fully up to date.
Are people having better luck with iOS devices or is this just something that'll get fixed with time?

Thanks,
REBELimgs
2015-6-28
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is a bigger chance you can fix it by dealing with background and other apps on the Nexus and making sure the CPU is available for your Pilot App. See:
http://droneflyers.com/talk/thre ... ixes.969/#post-3272
2015-6-28
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-28 23:04
There is a bigger chance you can fix it by dealing with background and other apps on the Nexus and m ...

There are no other apps running. What is that link you sent me? It just goes to a page to download something.
2015-6-28
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI forum must be hacked....or something is big time wrong! The link is valid...but I see what you are saying.

if you go to droneflyers dot com and then add this to the end of the URL
/talk/threads/phantom-3-hints-tips-and-fixes.969/#post-3272

You can see the post.

If you get task zapper app (free) and find that you have mo more than 60-70% CPU used when P3 is doing video and FPV, then what you see may be what you get. Mine works pretty well on a 2013 Nexus 7 though.  
Definitely turn any wireless and cellular off and bluetooth, etc. and check with the zapper to see if hidden stuff is running.
2015-6-28
Use props
PhantomAtAK
lvl.2

United States

I have the same rig, same issue, super laggy. Not fun, not safe.  I have modified my flights to out in the wilderness flying.    Google Nexus 9. Lollipop 5.1.1.  I purchased exclusively for P3P.  I have followed the instructions from Droneflyers.com (thanks for those DF).  I do run the app zapper recommended.  I uninstalled almost every application that was on my tablet. I killed any notifications that could be unchecked. I still have lag.  Seems this tablet is simply not compatible with the current Pilot app.  Since the Nexus 9 is on the "recommended" list, I expect the app to be tweaked so my "recommended" device once again works.  
2015-6-28
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-28 23:40
DJI forum must be hacked....or something is big time wrong! The link is valid...but I see what you a ...

I just changed all those settings. I'll try it out later today. Thanks
2015-6-28
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
United States

PhantomAtAK Posted at 2015-6-29 01:27
I have the same rig, same issue, super laggy. Not fun, not safe.  I have modified my flights to out  ...

I'm about to return the Nexus and get an iPad mini 3. I still have 3 weeks or so to return the Nexus. I'm shopping around for a used iPad. We'll see what happens.

I kinda want to wait because I've heard people on iOS have similar issues and I don't want to have to switch tablets and be stuck with the same issue. Any advice?
2015-6-28
Use props
PhantomAtAK
lvl.2

United States

REBELimgs Posted at 2015-6-29 02:00
I'm about to return the Nexus and get an iPad mini 3. I still have 3 weeks or so to return the Nex ...

I recently helped a friend get started with his new P3A.  He purchased a new Apple tablet (full sized, I don't recall the model).  First flights on the (then) current IOS firmware and Pilot app were silky smooth.  If I could return my Nexus 9  (too late), I would do so today, and try my luck with a full sized Apple product.
2015-6-28
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
United States

PhantomAtAK Posted at 2015-6-29 02:10
I recently helped a friend get started with his new P3A.  He purchased a new Apple tablet (full si ...

Debating on buying an iPad Air 2. I could return it if I'm unhappy but knowing the newer one will be out in just a few months is making me think twice.
2015-6-28
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

If I was going to spend real money I'd go IOS.....or, I could steal my better 1/2's iphone or ipad!

The only reason I use the Android stuff is that it cost $30 (moto-g) and $100 (refurb Nexus 7 II). Also, I find the lag and stutter OK because I don't fly any true FPV nor commercial work, etc - I'm just fiddling around. BUT, if anyone really needs the best...for whatever reason...IOS is the way to go with this rig.
2015-6-28
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-29 07:09
If I was going to spend real money I'd go IOS.....or, I could steal my better 1/2's iphone or ipad!

My iPad Air 2 should be here on Wednesday. I hope it all works out. I also have 2 extra batteries coming on Tuesday so I'll be able to test any possible solutions out for a while before switching tablets. Wish me luck. I'll let you all know how it works out.
2015-6-28
Use props
PhantomAtAK
lvl.2

United States

REBELimgs Posted at 2015-6-29 14:51
My iPad Air 2 should be here on Wednesday. I hope it all works out. I also have 2 extra batteries  ...

Let me know when you get your IP2, and if your flight experience is improved.
2015-6-30
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
United States

PhantomAtAK Posted at 2015-7-1 13:43

I should be getting around to a test flight today with a new P3P and IPA2. I'll keep you posted.
2015-7-9
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Please read the official statement from DJI about lag issues.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-23241-1-1.html

1. Disable Flight Route Recording.
2. Disable the light bridge video recording.
3. Disable the automatic video editor.
4. Enable hardware decoding if possible.

Too many background tasks running will cause the light bridge image to lag.

2015-7-9
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

REBELimgs Posted at 2015-6-29 03:06
Debating on buying an iPad Air 2. I could return it if I'm unhappy but knowing the newer one will  ...

There will always be a newer one coming in a few months with EVERY manufacturer of every tablet.
2015-7-9
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

1. Downgrade or disable Google Play Services
2. Disable bloatware, remove facebook and other apps in background
And lag should go.

More info:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 52614&fromuid=51556
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 51231&fromuid=51556
2015-7-9
Use props
Shutter
lvl.2

Sweden

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-7-10 07:02
2. Disable bloatware, remove facebook and other apps in ...

This worked for me!
2015-7-9
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-10 05:33
There will always be a newer one coming in a few months with EVERY manufacturer of every tablet.

Not 2 to 3 months as is the case with the IPA2 I just got.
2015-7-10
Use props
mekorff
lvl.2

United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-7-10 07:02
2. Disable bloatware, remove facebook and other apps in ...

I followed ScottyT's advice in this thread:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-22912-1-1.html

My P3P FPV was lagging so badly as to almost be unflyable at longer ranges prior to making the mods to Google Play services, etc. as recommended.  Lag was completely gone from my Nexus 7 v2 after making the changes.  

Hope this works for others on Android tablets.
2015-7-10
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
United States

PhantomAtAK Posted at 2015-7-1 13:43

I actually got a chance to get a few flights in yesterday. I had no issues with lag or anything like that. Now, that being said, I am on the 1.19 firmware and now using an iPad Air 2. Who knows which made the improvement, the firmware or the tablet.
Sadly, I'm stuck with a tablet that I hate for anything other than use with my Phantom.
2015-7-11
Use props
ebeez88
lvl.2

Canada

REBELimgs Posted at 2015-7-11 18:51
I actually got a chance to get a few flights in yesterday. I had no issues with lag or anything lik ...

So I had the Nexus 9 and major lag issues. I returned it in exchange for an iPad3 mini. I still had the same issue so I was using my iPhone 6 for the time being. Thursday I installed the beta iOS9 on my mini and have done a few flights Friday and today with no problems so far. Will be doing some more flights tomorrow and will post my results... fingers crossed.
2015-7-11
Use props
ebeez88
lvl.2

Canada

ebeez88@rogers. Posted at 2015-7-12 11:30
So I had the Nexus 9 and major lag issues. I returned it in exchange for an iPad3 mini. I still ha ...

Just another update to my previous post. Went flying again this morning and noticed lag when flying in Atti mode. GPS was fine
2015-7-12
Use props
cuc4
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Any clip for your lag status to post up? I am pending for your result to decide whether I buy a N9 or not. Thx.
2015-7-31
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
United States

cuc4@msn.com Posted at 2015-8-1 01:14
Any clip for your lag status to post up? I am pending for your result to decide whether I buy a N9 o ...

I returned the N9 and purchased an iPad Air 2. No lag so far.
If you plan on using the tablet for anything other than flying the Phantom, get which ever tablet you like. I, however, only need a tablet to fly my Phantom so as much as I hate iOS, I don't mind much because I only use it for flying. If I had to use my tablet for anything else, I'd definitely get something running android. I really liked the N9.
2015-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules