deactive no fly zone
4668 25 2015-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yvon.labarthe
lvl.1
Switzerland

HI,

I'm a professional drone pilot in Switzerland and I have a job to do inside the airport for the airport. How do I can deactivate the no fly zone to fly inside the airport ?

another question, In atti mode, I think the inspire goes up when he's very close to object... But I don't want that, can we deactivate this "security" ? I want to fly close to objet in straight line without going up and down...?

Cheers

Yvon
2015-7-15
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Short answer.

You can't, and it doesn't....... in that order.

To expand on that..... No Fly Zones can't be deactivated.    And the Inspire doesn't have colision sensors. So in ATTI mode you can fly right into something if you want to. The worst that would happen is the landing gear might come down if you pass over something, and that option is set.
2015-7-15
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I raised this query with DJI sometime ago on the forum and DJI Autumn was going to raise it with Higher Powers within DJI.

I specifically asked if a commercially trained UAV Pilot with appropriate CAA approval to Operate had a specific job within proximity of an airport, but had the formal written consent of the ATC to carry out the work could a specific code or update be provided by DJI to remove the no-fly zone restriction.

Nothing has yet been confirmed as far as I am aware, but it would be nice for DJI to address this issue especially given the Inspire 1 is targeted more at the professional market.
2015-7-15
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-16 03:39
I raised this query with DJI sometime ago on the forum and DJI Autumn was going to raise it with Hig ...

Its true they should give us some kind of solution as long we demonstrate that we know how to fly, and we are conscious to do the right things!
2015-7-15
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Don't hold your breath waiting for this folks - DJI market the S900/1000 towards the pro segment. They will simply direct you towards those products instead.
I seriously doubt that there is any intention to provide an ability to disable NFZ on the I1/P3/Matrice platforms.

We still haven't seen finished firmware yet!
2015-7-15
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-7-16 08:44
Don't hold your breath waiting for this folks - DJI market the S900/1000 towards the pro segment. Th ...

I suspect if DJI really want to do this it wouldn't be a problem, but perhaps they are being persuaded by "big brother" to enforce the no fly zones and are trying to take a moral stance, which is good, but the commercial users sometimes need this removed for specific tasks.

If what you are saying about the larger rigs is true that there is no restrictions on fly zones, then I just don't get why DJI can't offer this service to those who have formal approval to Operate by in-country Aviation Authorities.  The fact remains, it is the Aviation Authorities such as the CAA in the UK  and other countries that enforce who flys where and not a manufacture.

I read only last week about  developers in a UK University working on a drone that will scan aircraft for signs of damage from lightning strikes during routine maintenance in the aircraft hanger.  Even this could not be done with the DJI units at the moment, so DJI competitors will move in quickly I suspect.
Your right though, I am not holding my breadth for this solution any time soon.
2015-7-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-16 14:25
I suspect if DJI really want to do this it wouldn't be a problem, but perhaps they are being persua ...

What he is saying about the no fly system in the S900 and S1000 is true. The no fly system is not currently in the A2 FC. It is also not in the Naza FC so a F550 or a F450 could also fly.
2015-7-15
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-16 14:34
What he is saying about the no fly system in the S900 and S1000 is true. The no fly system is not  ...

Then really what you are saying is it is DJI that is simply holding back and not supporting its commercial users on the Inspire Platform.

My guess is DJI still view the Inspire as a Hobbyist platform, as they certainly are not addressing the commercial users requests.

I dont think those members on the forum (unless I have got it all wrong) who are commercially trained Pilots and Approved by respective Civil Aviation Authorities are saying to simply remove the no fly zones completely for everyone, I personally think it is a good idea.  However, as commercial users, DJI should respect that we have attained the required level of commercial UAV Pilot training and received formal License to Operate by the in-country Aviation Authority.  If they then give specific permission to operate within controlled airspace for a specific project, we as commercial entities should be in a position to do that work.
2015-7-15
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

This is my concern too.. I don't need it right now, but in a few months we are starting a huge construction project, and I will need to take aerial videos during the construction phase which is 3 years. The problem is that 3 km of this is in an airport no-fly zone.
I talked to airport officials also to the local aviation agency - they have no problem providing me times when I can safely fly into the restricted airspace and make videos. They need my pilot license number, provide time, aircraft serial number, route and based on that they will provide me dates and times when I can take off directly from the airport. Also they will provide a supervisor who will control me during the flight.

But here comes the problem, I can't deactivate no-fly zones.. That's why I ask DJI please provide some form of no-fly zone deactivation. I can provide official documents where they allow me to fly certain places certain times and you could deactivate that particular no-fly zone for that time.

Please make it happen.
2015-7-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-16 14:42
Then really what you are saying is it is DJI that is simply holding back and not supporting its co ...

Not necessarily saying that. It could be that DJI just has not figured out how to put the no fly system in the A2 and the Naza. I think in the future all FC's will be locked down. That is just my personal opinion.
I honestly do not know.
I hear what you are saying but it seems to me that it would be a lot of work for DJI to offer a case by case deal with everyone around the world that wants to fly in a no fly zone. We would have to be very careful in our checks that you are providing legitimate paperwork.
2015-7-15
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-16 14:56
Not necessarily saying that. It could be that DJI just has not figured out how to put the no fly s ...

Dave,

I understand what you are saying, but in reality DJI are not the authorising body to manage No Fly Zones, this is and always will be the respective Aviation Authorities.  DJI just need to accept written evidence of a License issued by for example  the CAA in the UK to operate on a commercial basis.  Any specific flying within controlled airspace is then the responsibility of the Aviation Authority and the local ATC to iron out any conditions or restrictions for the proposed operation.

It is surely within DJI realms of technology to have a specific update file for commercial operators that removes the no fly zones.  There is no risk here for DJI as a company or even on a moral ground as the individual business that would be applying for the no fly zone removal would be authorised by the in-country Aviation Authorities and carry relevant Public Liability Insurance, thus it would be the individual Operator that would carry the risk.

It would be appreciated Dave if you could escalate this real business request to the higher levels and engineers within DJI, as DJI Autumn promised.  Myself and other commercial users need DJI to respect this function that is available on other UAVs on the market.  Provided the necessary Aviation License is provided to DJI, this would surely provide the required level of evidence to release such an update to remove the No Fly Zones.
2015-7-16
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-16 19:15
Dave,

I understand what you are saying, but in reality DJI are not the authorising body to manage  ...

There's a counter-argument, though.  If some yutz manages to deprogram their Inspire's NFZs without lawful authority and causes a 767 or A320 to crash, it's still going to be DJI's name out there.  And most likely their entire industry will be destroyed worldwide.  I see a strong self-preservation motive at work here.
2015-7-16
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

PeteGould Posted at 2015-7-16 20:24
There's a counter-argument, though.  If some yutz manages to deprogram their Inspire's NFZs withou ...

I really don't agree with this.
It's like buying a BMW car, driving like an insane, than crashing it and blaming the car maker for not limiting the speed for 60kms/hour..

Most countries issue pilot licenses after tough exams.. For example I have to make the same theoretical exams for my drone as an airplane pilot.. I also have to have insurance, and I need to report any flight that is in a government restricted zone or in cities/populated areas.  
I think the regulations are pretty tough. So why cant we fly in a no-fly zone if we get all the permits??
2015-7-16
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Here's my thought on this..............................................  look at the main page and count the people who are reporting flyaways.   Granted, some of them are probably due to pilot error.  But, knowing the inherent nature of UAS systems being not 100% perfect, would you like to be on a commercial airliner knowing there is someone with less than perfect flying skills, flying a defective UAS in the same airspace that you are taking off or landing in?

All it's going to take is ONE quad taking down an aircraft, for the powers that be to ban them for everyone.

As I've gotten older, I have let my private pilots license lapse, for health reasons.  But about 20 years ago I almost hit a very large RC sailplane (glider) at 3500 feet with a Christian Eagle.  There were no "established" RC landing fields in the area.  After I landed, I jumped in my car and hunted the guy down.  He was parked along a road, and had his tow launch set up in a field.  I pointed at the airport about a mile away, and he just shrugged his shoulders, and said he "had just as much right to the sky as I did"

I think he understood how wrong that answer was when I snatched his transmitter out of his hands and threw it on the ground, breaking it into several pieces.  To this day, I wonder how far his sailplane went before crashing.

2015-7-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Some very good points on both sides of this discussion!    GB44 I know that the higher ups at DJI are or have been discussing this. I will however bring this up with my supervisor and engineers for you.
2015-7-16
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-17 04:19
Some very good points on both sides of this discussion!    GB44 I know that the higher ups at DJI ar ...

Dave,

Your input is really appreciated and thank you for listening to all the arguments and discussion from all the members above.

I do agree though that it does need to be properly managed and only available to properly licensed UAV Pilots authorised by respective in-country Aviation Authorities.
2015-7-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Thanks! No problem GB44 this thread is a easy one. Some other threads not so easy.  Sometimes I love my job here... sometimes not so much.  I think you have been here long enough to know what I mean.
2015-7-16
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Skywolf007 Posted at 2015-7-16 21:47
It's like buying a BMW car, driving like an insane, than crashing it and blaming the car maker for not limiting the speed for 60kms/hour..

Only it's not.  Cars are universal at this point.  The average person owns one and the average person could not imagine life without one.  Therefore there is no legislative will to ban cars.

The average person does not own a UAS.  The average person does not see owning or using a UAS as an imperative the way they do a car.  In fact the average person looks at UASs with more than a little unease and suspicion (with the help of mainstream media).  On BAD accident with a UAS, with multiple fatalities, and they will absolutely be banned.  Disagree all you want - they will be.  The public will demand it, and there aren't enough UAS owners to mount a countercampaign.

If you were a manufacturer, self-preservation would require that you bear the above in mind and act accordingly - whatever that means to an individual executive.
2015-7-16
Use props
walkowiak.macie
lvl.1

Poland

My friend flys near airport(with permission of course) . You must cheat his GPS. Use aluminium foil and place it ot the top of I1. Cover GPS antena then I1, will dont know that he is in no-fly zone.
Then fly i ATTI mode. Should works.

2015-7-27
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's a counter-argument, though.  If some yutz manages to deprogram their Inspire's NFZs withou ...

100% agree with you .We should not fly near airports,period  .What if there was a fly away .No matter what your skill level is .Nothing can be done as it heads towards a loaded 767 .We all know a fly away can happen .Why take the risk .Tell them to hire a helicopter .
2015-7-27
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

walkowiak.macie Posted at 2015-7-28 06:18
My friend flys near airport(with permission of course) . You must cheat his GPS. Use aluminium foil  ...

Why would he do that ?
2015-7-27
Use props
kelleyre
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59199 ft
United States

mtnred@gmail.co Posted at 2015-7-28 07:45
100% agree with you .We should not fly near airports,period  .What if there was a fly away .No mat ...

Helicopters crash into things also.
2015-7-28
Use props
Outlander0088
lvl.3

United States

Pete... I agree with your comment... "If some yutz..." Unfortunately we have too many "yutz's" flying drones that cause the majority of intelligent pilots trouble.  I mean seriously.. obstructing planes during landing or take off?  obstructing rescue and safety vehicles/personnel from performing their job?

Yutz... Moron...Mentally Challenged....F'n Idiots!!!  All the same.  As we hear more and more stories of missue, the no fly zones and laws will get tighter and tighter.  DJI and other must react in order to stem negative press. Will it solve the problem. doubtful.. Too many Yutz's in the world!
2015-7-28
Use props
stuquinn
New
Flight distance : 7795 ft
United Kingdom

Any updates on this? I live and work on an airfield. I have their full permission to operate and train at the airfield outside of regular flying hours. Only problem is that DJI have it on their no fly zone list. So I can't even spin it up in the back garden for testing. I have an ideal approved training area here and am keen to use the GPS modes
as I am trying to provide capability demonstrations for part of my day job; sadly I currently have a rather expensive door stop!
2015-9-8
Use props
info
New

United Kingdom

Just purchased  an Inspire 1 Pro, and would also like to see the NFZ restrictions lifted for commercial operators. I am sure that there is a legal argument that says that a piece of equipment being targeted at the 'professional' market must be 'fit for purpose' and if that purpose is to carry out professional work in a NFZ then the manuafacturer has an obligation to comply with the Sale of Goods Act (UK).
I can wholly understand why DJI have instigated the 'safety' measure but I question whether it is really a safety measure or just a token gesture. The NATS ENR warnings are far more comprehensive than the DJI NFZ and relying on DJI to prevent you from flying into an airliner does not protect the smaller aerodromes from naive users. The fact that the drone will not operate in some areas does not imply that all areas where it will operate are safe or legal.
A .kml file for Google Earth of the ENR Warnings can be found here:

http://www.helipix.org/downloads/4549361400

One other point which I can understand is the ability of DJI to reinstate the restriction once it has been removed. Since the removal of the restriction is based on the accreditation of an individual and not the drone, that drone could be sold on to a hobbyist with an ability to fly in these NFZs. Clearly this is a technical issue and one that might involve a lot of trust from DJI to ensure that any lifting of the restrictions is not abused. My personal opnion is to have all the radios licensed to specific users using the Tx binding code. TheTx binding code could be read by a fairly simple device that would record the registered code and should a drone be spotted too close to a plane then the transmission code is logged and the registered owner found. I accept that it would require a huge number of radios to be officially registered and rely on the co-operation of all users. Howver, if there were an incident, and you were flying in that area but were not the offender, then the 2 Tx codes would show you and the 'unknown' offender. You would then be able to provide your alibi and eliminate you from any enquiry so registration would protect you from being falsely accused and so it woule therefore be advantageous to comply with any registration request.

Steve

2015-11-5
Use props
MacPap
lvl.2
Greece

IMHO i do not think that it is DJIs job to police the use of the drones. It would be as if Smith & Wesson would produce pistols that recognise the target and if it is a specific target they do not allow to trigger.The way I see it this will only make the problem of pirated software and firmware bigger.
When a company produces cars it can't be responsible for what the customers do with it. I don't think, this thing is not over yet. Drones are here to stay and the more drones are out there the more obvious it will become that one has to think out of the box to find a solution on how to regulate their use.
2017-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules