Help..Crashed my phantom.
2084 7 2014-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

I crashed my FC40 by hitting the top of a tall tree. It came down hard although the fall was somewhat cushioned by the tree branches on the way down. One of the arms is slightly bent and the hard case needs to be replaced. I hooked it up to Naza assist and the IMU readings are normal and transmitter switches are functioning properly. The motors start up and sound normal. When I power the Phantom on it records home point and then a few flashes green rapidly a second time indicating ready to fly. The Phantom then flashes green -red -green -red for the longest time. It will eventually just blink green indicating >6 sattelites however if I pick it up and move it the red flashes will come back indicating it has less than 6 satellites.  Im guessing the GPS module has been damaged? Would it be worthwhile to send it in for repairs or after a hard crash like this just get a new one? Should i take it apart and see if something has come loose? Anyone have a similar experience or any advice on what I should do next?
2014-11-30
Use props
whyley27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

the gps is mounted on the top half of the phantom.. if you put ur hand over the top it blocks the signal.. if you pick it up with ur hand over the top it blocks the signal.. make sure you have no trees around you, this alo interferes with the gps , "sometimes"...

you may have to take it apart to see if you have any damage to the gps .. if your getting the green lights after a while, that to my mind is normal operation of it..  it can take up to 2 mins to get gps fix with 6 sats or more.. if you move it with your hand over the top of it , it will loose the sats, you just have to let it sit there for a while again before you get sat lock again..

do your testing in a wide open field, away from electrical interferance.. ie electric pylons and metal grates on the floor..

if you feel it is still taking a long time to get sat lock.. you will have to inspect the inside of it to see if there is any damage.. if there is.. new ones cost from upwards of 140 pounds (uk).. like 180 dollars etc.

2014-11-30
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

whyley27@sky.co Posted at 2014-12-1 01:18
the gps is mounted on the top half of the phantom.. if you put ur hand over the top it blocks the si ...

Thanks Wiley. I need to get the proper tools and will eventually take it apart and take a look inside. I went ahead and ordered another one. Prior to my crash the phantom was pretty solid in locking in GPS and staying green even if I picked it up. I'll try again later today to see if the GPS is still acting up.  I feel like an idiot because the crash was entirely my fault. Expensive lesson learned. Don't fly at night in an unfamiliar area with low visibility.
2014-11-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2014-12-1 01:47
Thanks Wiley. I need to get the proper tools and will eventually take it apart and take a look ins ...

Are you ordering another FC40, or the new phantom?
Well, since you ordered a new one, you will have some spare parts, or just order what broke and you will have 2 of them.
2014-11-30
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-12-1 01:51
Are you ordering another FC40, or the new phantom?
Well, since you ordered a new one, you will hav ...

I'm ordering another FC40. I have the new vision plus and have been practicing on the FC40. At least I didnt crash my vision plus.  I use the fc40 to fly at night and to fly more aggressively for fun. i haven't given up on the GPS module. Ill take your advice and try in a different location later today. If it is just the shell that needs to be replaced I may try to repair it myself.
2014-11-30
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Well I went to another area and it worked!!!  It went green and stayed there. I picked it up by the arm and moved it and it still stayed green!! I'm going to order the shell and try to repair it myself. BTW has anyone tried replacing the shell? Im not mechanically inclined and hopefully wont have any problems. Does anyone know what screwdriver sizes are needed to replace the shell.? Thanks... you guys are great!!
2014-11-30
Use props
whyley27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

you will need hex driver, get one with 1mm,1.5mm and 2mm heads.
pz drive screwdriver no 1
phillips 00 screwdriver.

there are a couple of vids on utbe showing how to get the guts out and transfer to another shell.
2014-11-30
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

whyley27@sky.co Posted at 2014-12-1 03:04
you will need hex driver, get one with 1mm,1.5mm and 2mm heads.
pz drive screwdriver no 1
phillips 0 ...

Thanks.... !!!
2014-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules