22289 128 2022-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
timw2000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 345594 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Quick question, I'm finding that my new RC controller is sometimes not getting GPS lock at all and it things I'm in the middle on the antlantic ocean on the equator. Thus when flying the drone I don't get the blue circle showing where I am and the blue arrow showing the direction to the drone on the RC controller display. So am I alone or anyone else seeing this?

Thanks!
2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I found my blue indicator didn’t work until I re calibrated the compass in the DJI RC controller.  But I’ve also found that when I move it can be off again.    Based on the spec there is no gps in this controller only the drone.  
2022-5-19
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 06:54
I found my blue indicator didn’t work until I re calibrated the compass in the DJI RC controller.  But I’ve also found that when I move it can be off again.    Based on the spec there is no gps in this controller only the drone.

There is GPS in the controller.  Right from the manual

2022-5-19
Use props
FlyBoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2953153 ft
Ireland

I noticed today that my blue directional indicator had also completely disappeared. It was there on a flight yesterday even before compass calibration now its randomly gone again.
2022-5-19
Use props
timw2000
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 06:54
I found my blue indicator didn’t work until I re calibrated the compass in the DJI RC controller.  But I’ve also found that when I move it can be off again.    Based on the spec there is no gps in this controller only the drone.

Hi, there is a GPS in the controller, support have confirmed this with me. My unit is faulty and I need to return my how package back for replacement

Would be interested to understand how long people generally have to wait for their controller to update the location in the top let of the home screen, mine just said "Location..." Indoors and outdoors. Does any have their controller get a location indoors?

Thanks...
2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JEZ2 Posted at 5-19 07:16
There is GPS in the controller.  Right from the manual

[view_image]

Its not listed in the specification though,  and the controller will not find a location when the drone is not connected.  

2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

timw2000 Posted at 5-19 07:42
Hi, there is a GPS in the controller, support have confirmed this with me. My unit is faulty and I need to return my how package back for replacement

Would be interested to understand how long people generally have to wait for their controller to update the location in the top let of the home screen, mine just said "Location..." Indoors and outdoors. Does any have their controller get a location indoors?

Curious,   mine never finds a location, it just sits say Locating... before the drone is connected,    the specification does not mention the GPS,  but the RC Pro does include a GPS so maybe they were confused.  

2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

timw2000 Posted at 5-19 07:42

OK,   I may be wrong,   my drone will not find a location on the Home Screen but if I go into Camera view and pull up a map without the drone connected it has my location.  

Whats more weird is there is no option to set homepoint to the controller which is what reassured me before that it didnt have it,  along with the specification.
2022-5-19
Use props
timw2000
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 07:56
OK,   I may be wrong,   my drone will not find a location on the Home Screen but if I go into Camera view and pull up a map without the drone connected it has my location.  

Whats more weird is there is no option to set homepoint to the controller which is what reassured me before that it didnt have it,  along with the specification.

Hmmm, this is interesting… I don’t seem to be alone.

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me if their controller gets their location on the RC remote when the drone is turned off. Whether this is inside or only outside and roughly how long it takes to get the correct location…

I don’t want to send my drone and controller back to DJI if mine is actually acting like everyone else’s.
2022-5-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

timw2000 Posted at 5-19 14:34

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me if their controller gets their location on the RC remote when the drone is turned off. Whether this is inside or only outside and roughly how long it takes to get the correct location…

Don't expect the GPS to work indoors, it will only work reliably outdoors.
2022-5-19
Use props
rodc27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me if their controller gets their location on the RC remote when the drone is turned off. Whether this is inside or only outside and roughly how long it takes to get the correct location…

Just tried and RC just indicates ‘Locating…’, never progresses beyond this.

Map view also has an option ‘USE OTHER MAPS’, and then says ‘Map app not installed’
Obviously no attempt at customising DJI Fly for the RC, just appears to be using a generic Android version.
2022-5-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there timw2000. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please post a screenshot of your DJI RC screen showing the issue for us to be able to see and can be able to assist you and give out the best solution for this issue? Thank you.
2022-5-19
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 07:56
OK,   I may be wrong,   my drone will not find a location on the Home Screen but if I go into Camera view and pull up a map without the drone connected it has my location.  

Is that when you are connected to WiFi as it might be using the internet to get your location
2022-5-19
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would not send it back yet if DJI told you to do that it is not necessarily reliable information
2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-19 21:04
Is that when you are connected to WiFi as it might be using the internet to get your location

I tried it without the wifi and it still works,  but I didnt realise how slow it was,  took about 5 minutes to get position data.
2022-5-19
Use props
timw2000
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 22:58
I tried it without the wifi and it still works,  but I didnt realise how slow it was,  took about 5 minutes to get position data.

Was that outdoors?
2022-5-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes that was on my patio.  
2022-5-20
Use props
timw2000
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-20 00:19
Yes that was on my patio.

Thanks, and was the drone on or off? waiting 5 mins with the drone on and connected is a long time, drone gets hot and battery is depleting all the while.
2022-5-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

timw2000 Posted at 5-20 00:21
Thanks, and was the drone on or off? waiting 5 mins with the drone on and connected is a long time, drone gets hot and battery is depleting all the while.

That was with the drone off and not connected to wifi on the controller.      It still only shows in the camera view->map the Home Screen still just shows locating.  
2022-5-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rodc27 Posted at 5-19 15:23
Just tried and RC just indicates ‘Locating…’, never progresses beyond this.

Map view also has an option ‘USE OTHER MAPS’, and then says ‘Map app not installed’

Go into connection guide,   camera view and then tap the map from there,  it will eventually show the location outside.  
2022-5-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just tried indoors,  after 14 minutes no location was found.  
2022-5-20
Use props
Xavier05
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144557 ft
France

Hi from France!

Same problem, no signal acquired by the RC when drone is off.
When Flying, I do have the blue point displaying bearing indication with the small blue arrow on the radar. But impossible to have me located with the RC using flyspots map.

Also while home point position is correctly acquired at starting RC and drone, i have never been able to have it updated while flying.

Looks like a software issue...
2022-5-20
Use props
timw2000
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-19 19:44
Hello there timw2000. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please post a screenshot of your DJI RC screen showing the issue for us to be able to see and can be able to assist you and give out the best solution for this issue? Thank you.

Hi Stephen,

Please see pictures below. This shows screen showing "locating..." in the top left hand corner. If I then click on this, it shows my location as in the Atlantic ocean (0°00'00.0"N 0°00'00.0"E).

This is after controller is outside for 10 minutes.

Please can DJI comment on this behaviour and whether this is a faulty unit or not? I have had it connect to GPS once that I've noticed. I've only had the drone for just over 1 day.

IMG_7406.PNG
IMG_7407.PNG
IMG_7408.PNG
2022-5-20
Use props
timw2000
lvl.2
United Kingdom

BTW, With my chat through support I've refreshed the controller firmware using DJI assistant 2, I've removed the SD card, I've cleared all the cache from the storage on the controller (App Cache, Album Data, Aircraft Flight Record Cache and Local Log) and finally recalibrated the controller compass. All to no avail.

I've now had the controller outside for 15 minutes and then sitting on a windowsill inside for nearly 45 mins and still no location...

DJI, what are your thoughts? Is this expected behaviour? Please can DJI comment on what the expected behaviour is? I think the community need to understand exactly what the controller should do? Is a GPS lock achievable inside like mobile phones can do? The mini 3 pro drone manages to get a GPS lock inside if near a window quiet quickly....

On my mini 2 I used my phone as part of the controller and thus had GPS lock inside my house as well as outside, instantaneously too.

Thanks!
2022-5-20
Use props
rodc27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

timw2000 Posted at 5-20 02:29
BTW, With my chat through support I've refreshed the controller firmware using DJI assistant 2, I've removed the SD card, I've cleared all the cache from the storage on the controller (App Cache, Album Data, Aircraft Flight Record Cache and Local Log) and finally recalibrated the controller compass. All to no avail.

I've now had the controller outside for 15 minutes and then sitting on a windowsill inside for nearly 45 mins and still no location...

DJI only appear to comment when saying range issues etc. are beyond VLOS, or when commenting on advice for chargers, they just say use only the DJI one, impractical when out and about and batteries need a charge in the country side.

When it comes to actual issues reported like this they are completely silent.

If the RC has GPS issues, then updating RTH point would be pointless during flight as it wouldn’t know where the RC is.

Does the RC Pro have similar issues?

My RC is behaving exactly like yours, no fix when M3P off.
2022-5-20
Use props
djiuser_co43r6PJI8ux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1851703 ft
Australia

I've  been saying from the beginning all the hype about this rc pro would never be as good as the rc n1  and phone of choice. It's only been a week how many more problems will pop up. A billion dollar company like DJI can't give us useful advice about issues.

I'm sticking with my rc n1  so far with my other drones it hasn't been any issues. And you can't expect to get it sorted out with firmware updates. DJI should not have released the mm3 unless fully opperating properly. Didn't we learn from the release of m3 we pay alot off $$ we should expect more. It's bs ,I think consumers are more stressed than enjoying their hard earned %$$ on a  drone that got so much hype on how great it is. Mm3 vs this  and that. Come on DJI you got our $$ give us what you marketed.
2022-5-20
Use props
timw2000
lvl.2
United Kingdom

rodc27 Posted at 5-20 04:32
DJI only appear to comment when saying range issues etc. are beyond VLOS, or when commenting on advice for chargers, they just say use only the DJI one, impractical when out and about and batteries need a charge in the country side.

When it comes to actual issues reported like this they are completely silent.

Hi, it is interesting that you seem to be having the same issues as me.

Without more people on hear giving us any feedback on their controllers I've been looking at Youtube videos that people share where their screens have been recorded. It seems most that have the attitude display rather than map have the blue circle and arrow working. I've also notice people doing 1st flights sometimes show the home screen before going into the fly view, these also have a location locked in the top right. Thus I do feel this is a faulty controller

I'm annoyed as I don't know how long it will take DJI to send out a replacement with the demand right now for people paying for new one rather than DJI fulfilling replacements...
2022-5-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

My RC N1 Mini 2 does the exact same thing. Connect the drone, then everything works fine. It's nota big deal.
2022-5-20
Use props
rodc27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 5-20 06:15
My RC N1 Mini 2 does the exact same thing. Connect the drone, then everything works fine. It's nota big deal.

Your RC-N1 Has a mobile phone running the DJY Fly app, and almost all mobile devices have built in GPSs, if the RC doesn’t, then it is a big issue.
Just checked on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, and the DJI Fly app instantly show the home screen with a location, but this is of no use when using the DJI RC.
2022-5-20
Use props
rodc27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

rodc27 Posted at 5-20 06:21
Your RC-N1 Has a mobile phone running the DJY Fly app, and almost all mobile devices have built in GPSs, if the RC doesn’t, then it is a big issue.

@DJI Stephen Can you reply on this extremely important issue?
You take the time to insist that VLOS is followed on several a posts and that only the DJI  30W charger is acceptable, yet you stay silent on actual issues.
2022-5-20
Use props
Xavier05
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144557 ft
France

timw2000 Posted at 5-20 05:17
Hi, it is interesting that you seem to be having the same issues as me.

Without more people on hear giving us any feedback on their controllers I've been looking at Youtube videos that people share where their screens have been recorded. It seems most that have the attitude display rather than map have the blue circle and arrow working. I've also notice people doing 1st flights sometimes show the home screen before going into the fly view, these also have a location locked in the top right. Thus I do feel this is a faulty controller  

I gave you my feedback....same problem as you here.
2022-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'm finding that my new RC controller is sometimes not getting GPS lock at all and it things I'm in the middle on the antlantic ocean on the equator.
It's not.
If it's showing in the ocean off west Africa, it's just a glitch that's displaying 0°N  0°E.
But the GPS receiver won't think it's there as its location data is completely blank until it gets good GPS.
2022-5-20
Use props
timw2000
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-20 07:32
I'm finding that my new RC controller is sometimes not getting GPS lock at all and it things I'm in the middle on the antlantic ocean on the equator.
It's not.
If it's showing in the ocean off west Africa, it's just a glitch that's displaying 0°N  0°E.

Software is very likely to have its data at 0 and 0 until hardware provides it with an actual value....
2022-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

timw2000 Posted at 5-20 07:34
Software is very likely to have its data at 0 and 0 until hardware provides it with an actual value....

The GPS data fields in DJI drone's recorded flight data is always completely blank until the drone gets good location data.
But Airdata sometimes falsely displays that as  0°N  0°E.
But it would be very sloppy programming to have a A GPS receiver register a false location when there is no data.
2022-5-20
Use props
rodc27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-20 08:10
The GPS data fields in DJI drone's recorded flight data is always completely blank until the drone gets good location data.
But Airdata sometimes falsely displays that as  0°N  0°E.
But it would be very sloppy programming to have a A GPS receiver register a false location when there is no data.

I have carried out further tests, and conclude that the RC controller either has no GPS module or it is not working.

When flying the drone, and you try and change the home point, you get a series of errors:-

1) Enable location services and app permissions for your mobile device to ensure your location can be determined accurately.

and then

2) Mobile device unable to access GPS. Move to open area.

Sorry cannot take screenshots of the controller as the errors disappear when swiping down to get to the option.

These appear to show that the Fly app is not finding a GPS module in the RC controller, either it isn’t there, or it is faulty in several units.

This is a serious limitation as the user is limited to staying in the exact same place as when taking off, or manually scrolling the map and updating the home point that way.

The range issue I can live with as normally fly close by, but not having a GPS in the controller, and the Fly app not being aware it is not running from an Android phone is unacceptable.

Really surprised that not a single YouTuber appears to have indicated any issues like this with the RC, especially as they all appear to have been given the RC for testing.

2022-5-20
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 07:45
Its not listed in the specification though,  and the controller will not find a location when the drone is not connected.  

[view_image]

Its in the manual.
Screenshot_20220519-224448_Drive.jpg
2022-5-20
Use props
Frajahr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169665 ft
Austria

My RC has GPS, but it doesn't work in the first page oft the DJI Fly APP - left top next to Fly Spots. Only if I go in to the tutorial (right down) and then "camera view" (right top) I can see the location oft my RC as DAFly mentioned.The blue point moves when I walk. ( The drone is off). Here are some screenshots.
Screenshot_20220520-223606.png
Screenshot_20220520-223447.png
2022-5-20
Use props
bxq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3139314 ft
Poland

as above - same here
2022-5-20
Use props
timw2000
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Frajahr Posted at 5-20 12:52
My RC has GPS, but it doesn't work in the first page oft the DJI Fly APP - left top next to Fly Spots. Only if I go in to the tutorial (right down) and then "camera view" (right top) I can see the location oft my RC as DAFly mentioned.The blue point moves when I walk. ( The drone is off). Here are some screenshots.[Image]

Hmm, mine does not do this, the map in the fly screen is still centred at 0N 0E. Can’t believe my RC is faulty…

it does work sometimes with the drone powered on but waiting for location to drone gets hot and battery is getting drained.
2022-5-20
Use props
FlyBoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2953153 ft
Ireland

My RC GPS seems to randomly come and go. Yesterday I had it for one of my two flights (blue directional dot) Today it didn't appear at all which makes it harder to keep the RC orientated properly.
2022-5-20
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules