2281 29 2015-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7152087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ever since the previous firware we have been having problem with horizontal drift. I was really hoping this had been fixed in the latest firware, but alas not.
Spent a while flattening our batteries to cycle the firmware yesterday and still noticed it's no better.

Please DJI can we get this sorted, it is added time in post to correct this issue when finishing projects off.

Here's the problem:

2015-8-12
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

looks like ATTI mode or weak GPS signal
2015-8-12
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

timswimm Posted at 2015-8-13 14:10
looks like ATTI mode or weak GPS signal

It was in GPS mode with 20 locks, besides the gimble doesn't need GPS to level it's self. This is replicated every time no matter if I calibrate everything, the same results. There's plenty of people complaining about it.
2015-8-13
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

oh, my bad, i thought you talking about aircraft drift
2015-8-13
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

timswimm Posted at 2015-8-13 16:57
oh, my bad, i thought you talking about aircraft drift

lol I was thinking that after I posted the reply
2015-8-13
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

Are you in fpv mode on the gimbal? Your horizon is shifting as well.

2015-8-13
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

remltr Posted at 2015-8-13 20:09
Are you in fpv mode on the gimbal? Your horizon is shifting as well.

Not on FPV. The horizon tilting is what I am on about.
2015-8-13
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

I get the same just from going forward and up ... in calm weather ...
Really annoying!

This is one thing I am asking DJI to fix as I am sending my unit in for repairs.
Let´s see if they manage to solve it.
2015-8-13
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

This is weird.

I experienced the horizon shift even further than your film but I put it down to the camera mode I had selected.  I was playing around with the different options and had selected the free mode to allow the camera to temporarily fix on a subject.  What happened was when I was moving to the left or right using the right stick, the camera didn't seem to use the gimbal axis function so resulted in a shift in the horizon, which reciprocated the banking left or right.  I think what you are showing is exactly the same.

When the camera is in the FPV mode this is not seen or experienced.

Can you confirm what camera mode you were in, just in case this was the same issue.  
2015-8-13
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-14 02:28
This is weird.

I experienced the horizon shift even further than your film but I put it down to the ...

I was in follow mode, not tried it in free mode yet until I have my camera operator with me. I've never even tried FPV mode as I have no use for it really

I wish DJI_Autumn could respond to this issue as there's another thread I have found with plenty of others having the same problem, plus plenty of the various facebook pages.
2015-8-14
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've just had a chat with online help, usual suggestions, IMU calibrate etc. Email now sent to DJI EU see what they come back with.
2015-8-14
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

iSkyUnmannedSys Posted at 2015-8-14 16:25
I was in follow mode, not tried it in free mode yet until I have my camera operator with me. I've  ...

You have got me thinking now what camera mode I could have been in.  I normally just have it facing forward and rotate the pan and pitch manually.  I was just experimenting with the camera modes when I experience the horizon pitching with the camera then seem to jerk back to where the gimbal should have maintained its neutral axis.

Will keep an eye on this next time I am out.

Where are you based in the UK ??

I am in the NE.  PM me if you want to meet up anytime.
2015-8-14
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-15 00:02
You have got me thinking now what camera mode I could have been in.  I normally just have it facin ...

In Leeds.

I've had a reply from DJI saying they are aware of the problem as others have been complaining. Maybe a fix at some point.
2015-8-16
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

iSkyUnmannedSys Posted at 2015-8-16 18:23
In Leeds.

I've had a reply from DJI saying they are aware of the problem as others have been comp ...

OK well thats positive feedback, so DJI have now accepted this is a concern.  Hopefully will fix soon.

I am off out now with the bird, so am going to watch for drifting and the horizon shift again.

Would like to connect with you so that I can PM.
2015-8-16
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-16 19:23
OK well thats positive feedback, so DJI have now accepted this is a concern.  Hopefully will fix s ...

How did you get on, did you see the same issue?
2015-8-17
Use props
Heliflo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8885013 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

I have exactly the same issue if I but the roll stick to more than 65%....
Hope there will be a solution soon...
2015-8-17
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Heliflo Posted at 2015-8-17 17:44
I have exactly the same issue if I but the roll stick to more than 65%....
Hope there will be a solu ...

Faster you go the worse it gets for sure.
2015-8-17
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

iSkyUnmannedSys Posted at 2015-8-17 16:17
How did you get on, did you see the same issue?

OK,  I ran through three batteries.

Only time I noticed any real significant shift in horizon  was when  the camera was in free mode.  Then when banking right or left the gimbal was simply too slow to retain the neutral position resulting in these images taken from the video:

http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/GB114/library/DJI%20Inspire

I am a little uncertain if this is normal whilst in free mode as I don't use it much.   I was however expecting the camera to hold its neutral horizon though, which obviously didn't happen as can be seen on the images.  Forgot to try it in Follow mode, but will look at that next time.

I recorded a wind strength of 8.8mph and didn't really notice any significant drifting.  It seemed to be holding its position most of the time whilst in GPS.  It did occasionally move around a little but not like what I would associate with drifting.

Tried it in Atti mode and flew fine.  Yes drifting occurred when just letting the aircraft go with the wind, but this is normal in Atti mode.

Also done some site measurements regarding spread of image captured at various altitudes using known Ground Control Points, so I know now what ground spread I can achieve at various altitudes, which will be good when the autoflight and waypoints eventually get released.
2015-8-17
Use props
Heliflo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8885013 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

iSkyUnmannedSys Posted at 2015-8-17 17:57
Faster you go the worse it gets for sure.

...it seams like a "overcorrection" if I roll to the left, the gimbal starts drifting to the right....
2015-8-17
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-17 22:32
OK,  I ran through three batteries.

Only time I noticed any real significant shift in horizon  was ...

We have seen horizontal problem as big as you have posted in free mode. We use free for dual controls of course. Didn't try it in free when testing last week though.

Well I guess the only thing to do is sit tight and see if DJI sort this out.
2015-8-17
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

iSkyUnmannedSys Posted at 2015-8-18 14:36
We have seen horizontal problem as big as you have posted in free mode. We use free for dual contr ...

So are you saying that this is normal action of the gimbal whilst in free mode to roll with the aircraft, as  didn't expect this even in free mode.

Would be nice if DJI could comment for clarification.
2015-8-18
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Zenmuse gimbals have always done this to some extent. At least every one I've owned or used (H3-2D, H3-3D, H4-3D, Z15-NEX7, Z15-BMPCC, Z15-5D, and X3) have done this.

You can "snap them back" but rolling the aircraft away from the gimbal tilt and the stabilization algorithm will slowly get the hint. Not so helpful if you're counting on level horizon through lateral flight but this seems to be the nature of the beast.

Lots of pages on lots of Zenmuse based gimbals:
https://www.google.ca/search?cli ... GXTVcoJ66HzB-zlvbgB

Consensus has always been to assign gimbal roll on the camera operator transmitter and just manually correct as needed.
2015-8-18
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

Spain

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-8-19 01:03
Zenmuse gimbals have always done this to some extent. At least every one I've owned or used (H3-2D,  ...

It's a method that I have adopted over the last month, unfortunately in the area where I am generally using the machine you can't be sure of a level surface to take off from. Hence adjusting the gimbal prior to flight seems to solve the problem.

Phil
2015-8-18
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

pandppurchase@g Posted at 2015-8-19 01:11
It's a method that I have adopted over the last month, unfortunately in the area where I am genera ...

Yeah. Given other gimbal tech seems to have resolved this issue in various ways DJI's continual shipping of new gimbals with the same issue over and over can be a bit frustrating.
2015-8-18
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

pandppurchase@g Posted at 2015-8-19 01:11
It's a method that I have adopted over the last month, unfortunately in the area where I am genera ...

Ok, I understand what you are saying.

By adjusting the gimbal horizon level pre-flight as a single operator, this would not matter in flight.  

The gimbal horizon has always been okay pre-flight, I have just noticed this excessive shift in the horizon when banking hard left or right the camera just doesn't seem to be capable of keeping up with the camera movements and roll.  This just doesn't seem right.

How can you adjust and account for the roll created when banking hard left or right manually with a second camera operator?  The adjustments are simply for pan and pitch. as a single operator  You would need to be able to control and adjust the roll also - can this be achieved with second controller ?

What would be nice if the gimbal retained the neutral horizon in the free mode as surely that is the purpose of an axis gimbal to maintain stability.
2015-8-18
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

Spain

Can't test that at present as now on route back to Manchester in the UK, if you get an answer to that question before I do please let me know.

Cheers

Phil
2015-8-18
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Going to kick this thread back into life. Still having problems with this on both my Inspires. Would be nice if a DJI rep would get involved.
2016-1-17
Use props
domidragon90
lvl.2

Switzerland

Got the problem, too.
2016-1-18
Use props
ddublu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3741171 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the same issue.  I can't even fly perfectly straight forward because of it.  I borrowed a buddy's X5 camera and it doesn't do it.  I have tried everything but am now about to send back to DJI for repair. I have C1 set to gimbal reset and that's the snapback you see in this video.

2016-2-12
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Drift is definitely still an issue.

Dates back to V1.3, been broken ever since.
Silence from DJI.

Give me back the Inspire I bought a year ago!
2016-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules