P3P "struggling" after flying as checked baggage
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rodhassler
lvl.1

Australia

Hi All.

I just landed in Australia with my P3P (flew from Philadelphia). When I got to my motel room I opened my Microraptor case and discovered that:

1) The RC was popped open (top/bottom) and it looks like a couple internal screw posts snapped. I was able to press it back together though.
2) The silica back exploded everywhere. Annoying, but not serious.
3) The gimbal mount and the foam pad I had used to keep for stability were at the bottom of the case. The gimbal was hanging freely.

Visual inspection revealed no damage, rotating it in all directions sounded good too, so I didn't pop the top off and look inside. I cranked up the AC in my room and after 30 minutes I did a cold-ish IMU and gimbal calibration. Took it for a test flight where it flew okay except that it seems like it's struglling to maintain its position and the prop noise is noticeably louder. It felt less responsive to the sticks, like it didn't have as much power.

Wondering if I should take the case off and make sure there are no loose or broken motor mounts? I was hoping to avoid that until I get back to the US, but I need to fly it for some shots tomorrow.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

-Rod

2015-8-24
Use props
bastell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

Have you hand spun the props? sound/noise ect?
2015-8-25
Use props
rodhassler
lvl.1

Australia

bastell Posted at 2015-8-25 16:38
Have you hand spun the props? sound/noise ect?

Yep, hand spun each prop and they're rotating freely. Applied lateral pressure as well and can't feel any give.
2015-8-25
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Thanks for posting.  When you check your luggage there is a good chance it will be opened and inspected.  Maybe someone got curious, took your DJI3 out of the case, and removed the gimbal protection.  Who knows what they did or didn't do.
I never check my DJI3 and travel with the HardShell Backpack as carry-on luggage.
2015-8-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

i have taken my p3p apart, i mean every single board, screw, etc etc.
if the motor mounts or the screws were broken, they would be visible from the outside, or if from the inside you would be able to feel it using a t8 driver. as far as anything else on the inside:
you have the gps mounted to top half that wouldnt cause ur issues
then there is the main brain, the four motors and the lights. thats it, the motor wires are soldered to the board. there really isnt anything that could have come loose, although the main circuit board is held on by 4 small screws to four thin posts that had broken in my p3 due to a crash, but was not loose or moving around!!!
basically im trying to say i wouldnt open it!!
could it be that a simple RC recalibration may do the trick?
2015-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules