12Next >
3691 52 2015-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bunkx9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136946 ft
United States

In the RC plane world, a balanced prop(s) is an important basic mod all owners do. (Balancing an EDF fan is vital, bye bye plane)..

A balanced prop is a more efficient prop. And, more importantly,  it reduces the load on the motor and the ESC.  It also cuts down on vibration as well as sound.

Unless I'm missing something, (post/thread/video) it seems many P3 owners aren't doing this?

2015-8-31
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

i havent had the need to, everything flies just great. i change props if there are any signs of wear and tear! if it aint broke dont try to break it!! lol
2015-8-31
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

I am the same way coming from the same feild of rc planes. I balance mine jist for that added reassurance on my part. Doesn't hirt, amd only takes a few moments a prop!
2015-8-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

jayhkr Posted at 2015-9-1 11:19
I am the same way coming from the same feild of rc planes. I balance mine jist for that added reassu ...

Perhaps you might explain how to do it for those who do not know?
2015-8-31
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

For those who have never attempted to balance your props, you'll be quite surprised the first time you place your props on a balancer. Almost all of my DJI props (both sets) were a bit out of balance. When your props are balanced, your motors will be less stressed and your gimbal won't have to work as hard to steady your camera.

My recommendation would be to buy the SpeedyTM prop balancer. It comes packed with everything you need to balance your Phantom 3 props. Here's a complete list of prop balancer or balancing rods that work well with the Phantom 3:

http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#PropsP3

Here's a good video that explains how to balance props. It's showing Inspire 1 props, but the process works with any props.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-8-31
Use props
Bunkx9
lvl.2
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-31 21:09
i havent had the need to, everything flies just great. i change props if there are any signs of wear ...

If you're good with your set up, great! But ALL new props come way out of balance. Literally, ALL of them.

If you threw a set of balanced props on, you'd be blown away how much more stable and quiet it will be. No the high pitch whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.   More precise reactions to inputs, and *likely* a slight increase in flight time.  

Not trying to tell anyone what to do, or come off as a turd here, just passing along some knowledge from my RC plane experience.  I recommend all P3 owners try it out.

2015-8-31
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Bunkx9@yahoo.co Posted at 2015-8-31 21:30
If you're good with your set up, great! But ALL new props come way out of balance. Literally, ALL  ...

oh no, if its something that would improve things, im all for it. i will get a balancer and see how it goes.
thanks for the advice. will let u know how it went
2015-8-31
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-8-31 21:25
For those who have never attempted to balance your props, you'll be quite surprised the first time y ...

thanks, just ordered the speedy balancer as recommended.
2015-8-31
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rayrokni, awesome. You won't be disappointed. I've been using that prop balancer with all of my Phantoms.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
2015-8-31
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-8-31 22:14
rayrokni, awesome. You won't be disappointed. I've been using that prop balancer with all of my Phan ...

what grain sand paper should i get. i imagine i should have a coarse and a fine or more?
thx
2015-8-31
Use props
Bunkx9
lvl.2
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-31 22:15
what grain sand paper should i get. i imagine i should have a coarse and a fine or more?
thx

I would go with a 1500 grit.
2015-8-31
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Bunkx9@yahoo.co Posted at 2015-8-31 22:26

so just the one grit then?
2015-8-31
Use props
Bunkx9
lvl.2
United States

Bunkx9@yahoo.co Posted at 2015-8-31 22:26

Then finish with a 3000
2015-8-31
Use props
Bunkx9
lvl.2
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-31 22:26
so just the one grit then?

1500 to start, smooth with 3000. Just like wet sanding a car's clear coat.
2015-8-31
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

ok 1500 to start and finish with 3000. now gotta see where to find that here near me, as i dont think home depot would have that high a grit
2015-8-31
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

I did mine. I found they were quite close right out of the box. Removing the raised lock icon and arrow was all any needed. Used a DuBro balancer with the optional threaded shaft. I tried it without the threaded shaft as shown on a video but that was definitely not a reliable method IMHO.
2015-8-31
Use props
Bunkx9
lvl.2
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-31 22:28
ok 1500 to start and finish with 3000. now gotta see where to find that here near me, as i dont th ...

Any autozone or auto supply business will likely have it.  
2015-8-31
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Rigworker Posted at 2015-8-31 22:29
I did mine. I found they were quite close right out of the box. Removing the raised lock icon and ar ...

ok thanks for the advice. i already ordered the speedy one mentioned above, will give it a go.
thx
2015-8-31
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Bunkx9@yahoo.co Posted at 2015-8-31 22:30
Any autozone or auto supply business will likely have it.

great will try tomorrow and see.
thx again
2015-8-31
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rayrokni, I don't use sand paper since it permanently alters the props. Instead, I place a small piece of clear Scotch tape on the bottom of the light side of the prop. If it's still not balanced, I add another small piece of tape -- or remove the first piece and add a larger piece.

www.PhantomHelp.com
2015-8-31
Use props
Bunkx9
lvl.2
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-31 22:32
great will try tomorrow and see.
thx again

PS, don't sand anything on the top of the each prop, only the inner bottom, closest to the hub where it's thick. Bad advice by the other guy.
2015-8-31
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-8-31 22:35
rayrokni, I don't use sand paper since it permanently alters the props. Instead, I place a small pie ...

do u mean the lighter side? cuz if i add weight to the heavy half of the prop, isnt it gonna get heavier?
2015-8-31
Use props
Bunkx9
lvl.2
United States

Respectfully, the whole point of balancing a prop IS to permanently alter it. The tape method is a band-aid to the problem.
2015-8-31
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Bunkx9@yahoo.co Posted at 2015-8-31 22:41
PS, don't sand anything on the top of the each prop, only the inner bottom, closest to the hub wh ...

got it, will do. i may try the tape method first as i have a heavy hand, there may be nothing left of the prop. or i ll try the sanding method on an older set that i dont use
thx
2015-8-31
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Bunkx9@yahoo.co Posted at 2015-8-31 20:41
PS, don't sand anything on the top of the each prop, only the inner bottom, closest to the hub wh ...

What Guy? Didn't see anyone saying to sand the tops. Good advice though.
2015-8-31
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-31 22:41
do u mean the lighter side? cuz if i add weight to the heavy half of the prop, isnt it gonna get h ...

Correct. Sorry about that

www.PhantomHelp.com

2015-8-31
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

Which balancing rod do you guys recommend?
2015-8-31
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

toddf.perkins@g Posted at 2015-8-31 21:59
Which balancing rod do you guys recommend?

Are there some rods that are better than others, or are they all the same?
2015-8-31
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
  • >>>
United States

toddf.perkins, any of the rods at the link below will work. The important part is to make sure the Phantom 3 props thread onto it. And, the props will fit anything listed there.

http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#PropsP3

www.PhantomHelp.com
2015-8-31
Use props
thomaseoday
New

United States

Never would have known this, thank you
2015-8-31
Use props
michael.tristra
lvl.3
Flight distance : 769042 ft
Australia

Everyone of my alleged 'balanced' DJI props were out of balance when I measured them, some quite a bit. I used a dubro balacer and a balancing rod with some tape. Now they are all spot on.
2015-8-31
Use props
Bobcat90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2517654 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-9-1 10:35
rayrokni, I don't use sand paper since it permanently alters the props. Instead, I place a small pie ...

I am sure sanding an unbalanced prop is one way to go.  I use scotch tape, too.
2015-8-31
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

Bobcat90 Posted at 2015-8-31 23:20
I am sure sanding an unbalanced prop is one way to go.  I use scotch tape, too.

So.. Sanding, or tape. What does everyone think?
2015-8-31
Use props
damian
New

Australia

Thanks for the tip!
2015-9-1
Use props
astrostar
lvl.3
United Kingdom

toddf.perkins@g Posted at 2015-9-1 05:44

I use the DuBro balancer and small pieces of tape. If you over sand and take too much off you'll have to then sand the other side and if you take too much off that ....

I purchased a balancing rod off ebay rather than use the standard rod which came with the DuBro and found that the props balanced with the DuBro rod needed to be re-balanced with the ebay rod which was designed specifically for the Phantom 3 props.
2015-9-1
Use props
Bunkx9
lvl.2
United States

toddf.perkins@g Posted at 2015-9-1 12:44

I prefer sanding, 1500 or 3000 grit.  

IF you use tape, use electrical tape. Stick it to the MID/INNER TOP TRAILING EDGE of the prop.
2015-9-1
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Rigworker Posted at 2015-8-31 22:29
I did mine. I found they were quite close right out of the box. Removing the raised lock icon and ar ...

That was my only complaint - and a small one at that - about the DuBro balancer. To balance the Phantom 3 props, you *must* have their special threaded shaft - and it does not come with the "standard order" balancer package. When I saw I needed the threaded shaft, I called the company. They were very polite, but I had to spend extra to buy the threaded shaft. I personally think that if they're advertising it works with the Phantom 3, even if they have to raise the price, they should include the shaft.

For those new to the world of balancing props, many, many RC plane props are NOT threaded and the mounting hole goes all the way through the prop. The threaded, self-tightening props are not yet the same kind of standard we're starting to see in quads.
2015-9-1
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-8-31 22:35

Another commonly used technique is to quickly wipe a dab of super glue along one side of the props.

My preference is for the tape. Despite the rpm of the props, the tape tends to stay on there very well.

The two obvious schools of thought: (1) remove weight from the heavy side by sanding it gently or (2) add some weight - very slowly and very lightly to the light side.
2015-9-1
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-31 22:41
do u mean the lighter side? cuz if i add weight to the heavy half of the prop, isnt it gonna get h ...

The tape method has been used by RC plane guys for years. Works fine.
As I wrote in another part of this thread, there are two schools of thought:
(1) add weight to the lighter side
(2) remove weight from the heavier side.

The beauty of the tape technique is that if you put too much on, you can remove some. If you sand too much away OR SAND AWAY IN THE WRONG SPOT! - it's much harder to correct.
2015-9-1
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40056 ft
United States

Can I mail my P3 and props to someone and have them balance it for me and send it back?   

thanks in advance
2015-9-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules