Phantom 3 compass calibration interference error
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kaany
lvl.1

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a Phantom 3 Advanced. First couple of flight was all great but recently It started to give me compass errors and required calibration. That was ok but now I need to calibrate compass before each flight but I can't complete the calibration and always get the following error:

"High levels of electromagnetic interference have been detected. Ensure that there are no magnets or metal objects nearby and hold the aircraft at least one meter off the fround when calibrating."

IMG_1968.JPG

Can anybody help me about this?
I tried different places (considered environmental effects and ), always pay attention to metal objects, hold the aircraft the correct position but it always fails to calibrate.
I also tried the trick I saw on youtube to move a small magnet arount the compass to degauss and recalibrate. That worked for a few minutes but I lost compass mid-flight and I'm back to where I started now.

Is there a way to fix this easily or do I have a bad compass module?
2015-9-1
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

degaussing was probably not the best option to try.

In a wide open park where you are sure there is no metal in the ground or on your person, give it another go.. Also try and take a screen grab of the compass mod value in the App's sensors menu
2015-9-1
Use props
Kookaburra
New

Australia

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-1 18:39
degaussing was probably not the best option to try.

In a wide open park where you are sure there is ...

Hey sploodge, you seem to be quite informed - any ideas on how to deal with your compass MOD being out - I have a simmilar problem to you kaany, it seems the whole of australia is with electromagentic interference, i live on 40 acres, been on 500 acres and teh beach, ive never been able to calibrate the compass since i got it - the compass MOD reads about 1030 - to 998 and flickers in fugures between these.
Any suggestions and what is the theory behind degaussing and how one does it ( phantom on , off, etc)
Thanks,
2015-9-2
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Kookaburra;
Your compass mod value should be between 1400 and 1600.
2015-9-2
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Kookaburra;
Here is a video I found for you on doing a compass degauss.

2015-9-2
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-3 00:46
Kookaburra;
Your compass mod value should be between 1400 and 1600.

DJI-Dave's video above shows well how to degauss. The compas on the P3 is ( looking at the battery ) on the right hand side rear leg, you will see 2 wires going into the leg instead of 1.

have you stored the P3 near any magnets? maybe transported it in a car and had it near a speaker? Very off to need a degauss.

Worse case it could be a bad compass..
2015-9-2
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Yeah, hopefully his compass is not bad. That could be it though if nothing else works.
2015-9-3
Use props
kaany
lvl.1

Did a IMU calibration and everything returned to normal. You might wanna try it Kookaburra.
2015-9-18
Use props
8Blue Wolf8
lvl.1

Australia

Hi all...so I'm also in Oz (traylia).  I have a similar problem with EMF error.  I go out into the forest...emf error.   Went to a farm today to do a flyover of a dam to look for carp today.. Couldn't even do a CSM atti launch because of EMF error and no compass calibration.   Went into town to a location I've flown before, houses, powerlines and home wifi everywhere!   No EMF problem at all.  Calibrated straight up and flew perfectly.  I have no idea how or why this error keeps coming up.  I fly perfectly in my suburban backyard but can't calibrate out in the bush miles from anywhere???
2017-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules