Do I blame the Controller or the Wind?
1714 5 2014-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tmgrood
lvl.2
United States

So I got my Phantom 2 Vision yesterday and did all the set up by the book. Set it on the cement sidewalk in our backyard and it took off beautifuly. I only flew about 15 feet high and went out and flew a short square pattern and brought it back, I landed it like a champ.
Last night I realized while doing the firmware upgrades I forgot to do the one for the Controller and forgot to calibrate the joysticks.
This morning I upgraded the firmware for the controller and calibrated the joysticks.
It rained most all morning so I didn't get a chance to fly it until a patch of clearing in the sky came about but I was a bit breezy.
I put the Phantom in the same take off spot as yesterday, did all the other necessary pre flight tasks but when it went to take off it fell back and the rear rotors hit the ground.
I will not get another chance to fly it again for a couple of days because of heavy rains coming but do you think this was just the wind, although I didn't think it was windy enough to blow it back, or could it have been something to do with the firmware upgrade?
Should I re-calibrate anything.
I didn't do anything to the IMU. Should I calibrate that?
Any help would be appreciated.
2014-12-9
Use props
Dboy
lvl.3

China

It's a pity to heart of this, every newbie will have similar experience with drones.
Hope there's no hardware breakdown.
The P2V can anti the category 4 wind. If it just 15ft high, the wind speed is almost the same as on the ground.
I suppose your drone is under an un-horizontal attitude.
Normally, after upgrading, one should check the parameters in the assistant software whether the same as you think. IMU info should be checked also.
BTW, the compass should be re-calibrated.
2014-12-10
Use props
tmgrood
lvl.2
United States

Dboy Posted at 2014-12-10 16:59
It's a pity to heart of this, every newbie will have similar experience with drones.
Hope there's no ...

Thanks for the input Dboy.
I did re-calibrate the the compass before take off.
Once we get past these next few days of rain and high winds I will check the IMU and everything else.
Like I said, my first flight was perfect. Take off, maneuvering and landing.
I will go through all the calibrations and settings before next flight and hope for the best.
Thanks again.
2014-12-10
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Verify sticks are moving in the right directing as well. Did it happen to tip in the direction of the wind blowing?
2014-12-10
Use props
tmgrood
lvl.2
United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2014-12-11 00:01
Verify sticks are moving in the right directing as well. Did it happen to tip in the direction of th ...

Okay. I figured it out I think and I've only got myself to blame. In other words pilot error.
Being only the second time I have flown it I did not give the throttle enough thrust when taking off.
I took it out today, gave it more thrust and heard the usual loud whining of the props, which I didn't notice yesterday, and off it went.
Like a rocket to Mars. Okay, not that fast but it did take off like it's supposed to.
Now, if I could get these heavy rains and gusty winds to stop I could go back out soon and enjoy my Phantom.
2014-12-11
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cool,  have fun
2014-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now